Thrift shop scores version 2.0

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Thrift shop scores version 2.0

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Sep 2018, 01:32

By popular demand

I've been shopping at a furious rate since our last rundown, and have even been forced to cull. I must have amassed some 10,000 CD's by now, and am filling up cupboards and closets. Even thinking of getting some of those flat plastic tubs for bed linen, so I can wheel CD's full under my bed. Got to be creative if I want to continue collecting. Trailing far behind on amazon. You guys were right, amazon third party prices are indicators at best, most times Discogs or ebay will be cheaper. Accord is Accord, but prices have dropped, thank goodness. Haven't been to the Nørrebro branch in over a year, because of shootings and other mayhem. I simply value my life too much. The Kgs. Lyngby branch is supposed to be the best, they have good parking facilities, so the middle-aged suburbanites can easily offload their collections there. Mainly I just go to the Vesterbro branch, the manager knows me, and I get decent trade value for duplicates and unwanted stuff. They only take a cursory glance at market prices, so I am often lucky to score a rarity if I am willing to go as high as £10. Flea market season is almost over now, but there will be the odd indoor market to look out for.

Okay, soft start:

Today I went to the 20 pence shop, bought only four:

Rick Nelson Anthology vol one: Greatest Hits Revisited -- In 1984 Rick re-recorded a mail order only album's worth of hits, with the original producer on board (I think), to quite interesting results. Nice and rare completist item here.
Michael Jackson w/Janet Jackson - Scream CD maxi single -- good remixes and an OST only song.
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away -- Digipak CD on Sub Pop, chancer. For all I know, I could be wincing MY night away to this one, but no real loss at 20 pence.
Placido Domingo - With Love -- I don't buy opera, but lately I've been picking up some tenors singing pop and Neapolitan ballads.

Okay, maybe no great shakes, but this has been a small day, mind.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Thrift shop scores version 2.0

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Sep 2018, 16:44

Did you know James Last recorded and album at the Record Plant in LA? In 1975?

Welcome back!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Sep 2018, 17:41

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Did you know James Last recorded and album at the Record Plant in LA? In 1975?

Welcome back!

:lol:

Thanks, Shads.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 14:06

Before I move on to the rest of this week's rather meager score, let me go a bit off-topic:

Every month I go on amazon.co.uk, looking for those last elusive Shaft paperbacks to complete my run. Months, even years go by with no luck. Or if I do find them, they are priced out of my reach. Then, last night I had the incredible luck of finding the original 1976 UK Corgi paperback of "Goodbye, Mr. Shaft" in good nick, and the seller does international shipping. £3.99 for such a rare book, I couldn't believe my luck! Now I just need "Carnival of Killers" to complete my run...

Good Night Austin, Texas

Postby Good Night Austin, Texas » 29 Sep 2018, 15:05

50p from Oxfams

Beat That

NMB

Postby NMB » 29 Sep 2018, 17:37

GoogaMooga wrote:Before I move on to the rest of this week's rather meager score, let me go a bit off-topic:

Every month I go on amazon.co.uk, looking for those last elusive Shaft paperbacks to complete my run. Months, even years go by with no luck. Or if I do find them, they are priced out of my reach. Then, last night I had the incredible luck of finding the original 1976 UK Corgi paperback of "Goodbye, Mr. Shaft" in good nick, and the seller does international shipping. £3.99 for such a rare book, I couldn't believe my luck! Now I just need "Carnival of Killers" to complete my run...

I always check in charity shops for Folio Society editions of Anthony Trollope novels. Typically I might find one new one a year. Today I got three!
turn on, tune in, nod off

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 18:40

NMB wrote:
I always check in charity shops for Folio Society editions of Anthony Trollope novels. Typically I might find one new one a year. Today I got three!

Few things in life can match the rush of a great find, especially when it's a bargain. I always go on amazon after a successful treasure hunt and look up my purchases. To have gotten a three figure item for just 50 pence is a real charge. Not that I'd ever sell...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Sep 2018, 18:51

I got a Timo Sarpaneva glass vase from 1956 in a charity shop this week! It's almost unheard of to find something like that in a UK charity shop.
Sorry not music..but it excites me a lot more than music these days!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 18:58

Now then, where were we...

Well, today was the last of the Saturday morning flea markets for the season. Won't start up again before May next year, giving me a much-needed break.

Anyways, here's Friday and Saturday's meager score:

Gene Vincent - Forever Gold (Pacific Entertainment)
Soundtrack - VA 2 CD slimline case, slipcased - top cult OST hits from the past 40-50 years.
Miami Vice II - VA and Jan Hammer (MCA, might have it already)
Mayito Fernandez y su Orquesta - I Love Cuba
Mozart - Symphonien nos. 32-33-35-36 (Karajan, Deutsche Grammophon)
Frank Sinatra - The Memorial Album (ltd ed pic disc, TKO Licensing)
Hot Chip - Made in the Dark (really don't know what to expect)
Marilyn Monroe - The best of/Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend (25 tracks incl. some duets)

Also, new off the rack, McCartney - Egypt Station ltd ed gatefold digisleeve (has a worrying 16 tracks)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 18:59

The Modernist wrote:I got a Timo Sarpaneva glass vase from 1956 in a charity shop this week! It's almost unheard of to find something like that in a UK charity shop.
Sorry not music..but it excites me a lot more than music these days!

Sounds like some Finnish designer...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Sep 2018, 19:04

Yeah, one of the top Finnish designers of the 50s and 60s.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 Sep 2018, 19:05

GoogaMooga wrote:Soundtrack - VA 2 CD slimline case, slipcased - top cult OST hits from the past 40-50 years.

Sounds interesting..who's on it?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 19:05

The Modernist wrote:Yeah, one of the top Finnish designers of the 50s and 60s.

Well done, those decades were the apex of Scandinavian/Nordic design

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Sep 2018, 19:06

yellow jacket wrote:Image

50p from Oxfams

Beat That

15p Charity Barry 8-)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 19:08

The Modernist wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Soundtrack - VA 2 CD slimline case, slipcased - top cult OST hits from the past 40-50 years.

Sounds interesting..who's on it?

very mixed bag, one that draws heavily on Tarantino mainstays, but really - from Ipcress File to Born Slippy. A lot of this you might have scattered, but nice to have it all gathered in one place

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 19:09

Peters & Lee, I've got them in the archives! Good drinking music, the sickly sweet Southern Comfort kind of drinking!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 19:21

The Sinatra has got to go - it's live with no mention of venue or date, no good.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Oct 2018, 01:56

Looks like there won't be any more shopping this week, which is fine by me, because it has been a big enough week already. Haven't listened to them all yet - I am trailing behind by hundreds. But, I sort of know what to expect.

louis armstrong vol. vi - st. louis blues (columbia jazz masterpieces)
johann & josef strauss - walzer/polkas/märsche (karajan, deutsche grammophon)
j.s. bach - jesu, joy of man's desiring and other great works (ormandy, sony)
a portrait of mikis theodorakis (remastered, butterfly???)
mozart - wind serenades k.375 & k.388 (deutsche grammophon)
ben webster plays ballads plus 3 bonus tracks (storyville)
duke ellington - three suites (columbia jazz masterpieces)
svend asmussen - og de gode gamle (js records)
vera lynn - we'll meet again (2CD fatboy, movieplay)
jan hammer - escape from television (mca)
lalo schifrin - music from mission: impossible (mca)
björn skifs - skifs hits (2CD slim)
oscar peterson trio - west side story
carola - guld, platina och passion (2CD slim)
stereolab - transient random noise bursts with announcements
cornershop - when i was born for the 7th time
spain - i believe
unkle - never never land
savage rose - gadens dronning
louis armstong - love songs (legacy)
boogie down productions - sex and violence
richard marx - greatest hits
tragedie - live
emma daumas - le saut de l'ange
wham! - twelve inch mixes
v.a. - seventeen (dancehall comp, vp)
v.a. - eighteen (dancehall comp, vp)
asian dub foundation - community music
erasure - the innocents
vera lynn - the white cliffs of dover (pegasus/eagle rock)
peter, paul & mary - s/t (comp, fnm)
arlo guthrie - alice's restaurant
heart - little queen
fats domino - his greatest hits (live recordings, spectrum)
caterina valente - the best of (live recordings, marble arch)
randy crawford - now we may begin
abba - voulez-vous (unremastered polar CD, 1984 - better sound)
matt bianco - the best of
v.a. - fiesta de rumba (open records)
hooker n heat - the best of (emi gold)

Now, obviously I can't buy that many every week due to lack of space, but when I see a goodie, it's hard to resist. The two live comps sound very good, but lack any mention of venue or date. And yet the "compiler" gets a credit on the Fats Domino comp, go figure. I think the least they could do was to list venue and date, but no.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Oct 2018, 17:03

I'll keep all the shopping in one thread: Today I upped the ante. I went to Accord. I didn't get much in trade for my stuff, barely broke even. Accord is the oldest second hand record shop in Denmark, est. 1940, IIRC. There are three shops at present in Cph. Accord was established back in 1940, I think. Survived all the format changes. Prices range from £2 to £10 for CD and DVD. I tend to buy high end, the cheapest ones are very run of the mill. I always grab their choice stuff, the rarer the better.

curtis mayfied - superfly 2CD limited edition (charly)
the best of climax featuring sonny geraci (wisebuy)
elton john - blue moves "CD slimline remaster
paul kantner, grace slick & david freiberg - baron von tollbooth & the chrome nun
buffalo springfield - last time around (atco remaster)
jackson 5 - abc

Climax is a chancer, a blind purchase, but it looks interesting, judging by the cover.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 06 Oct 2018, 00:58, edited 2 times in total.

NMB

Postby NMB » 05 Oct 2018, 23:41

Blue Moves might be my favourite Elton album. It’s up there anyway.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Return to “Yakety Yak”