Lennon's "Imagine" album + outtakes...6 CD boxset.

Do talk back
fange
100% fangetastic

Re: Lennon's "Imagine" album + outtakes...6 CD boxset.

Postby fange » 29 Aug 2018, 07:35

Fantastic. A story for the grandkids (if they even know the Beatles).
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 29 Aug 2018, 09:49

toomanyhatz wrote:"Don't Want To Be a Soldier, Mama" has always been a bit of a slog for me. I know what he's trying (full on Spector-mantra), but he doesn't pull it off to my ears.

^^^This

toomanyhatz wrote:"How" is a bit overlong too. And the title track is really hard to hear with fresh ears (though I do think it's brilliantly produced). And "It's So Hard" has a great groove but it's a bit slight.

I really, really, really like it a lot. It's great, but flawed, ultimately.

^^^This

toomanyhatz wrote:"Gimme Some Truth" is a world-beater, though.

^^^and this. My fave Lennon solo track, and a strong candidate to my fave Beatle solo track.
Nobody's ferpect.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 29 Aug 2018, 10:16

what is 'GLEDE' e . wrote:Half of Imagine is pretty poor. I was hugely disappointed when I first heard it (almost 20 years after I first heard POB, which knocked me out).

I think the tunes overall are good. And I quite like the production. There are moments that take your breath away.

But at its heart it is a nasty, bitter, poisonous record. He uses the sweetness of the sound to cover up his bitterness. Whenever I hear Imagine, I hear a man trying to get even. Desperate to settle scores. Trying to prove he is better.

It isn't a patch on Ram.
You don't like me...do you?

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Aug 2018, 10:42

trans-chigley express wrote:
fange wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:A journalist I used to play squash with many years ago suspects that Lennon wrote this song after he spent an evening with him and his mates out at a bar in Bermuda about 6 months before he died. He said the lyrics remind him of that night and the things they talked about (telling him he's crazy to not continue with the music etc.) and the bar had lots of spinning wheels on the walls or something like that. It's my favourite from the album.

That's the kind of personal anecdote i'd like to be able to tell!

It was a good story, obviously he elaborated quite a bit when he told me. He and his mates had spotted Lennon in the bar and asked him to join them for a beer but he refused at first and left the bar, then he returned a few minutes later and said ok but no Beatles talk. They spent a couple of hours having a laugh and chatting about all kinds of stuff, not just music.

I remember someone telling this story in the early days of this board. So it was you! I remember that the wheels were the type you'd see on old ships, spinning like gears into each other, and his comment was how so many people couldn't believe that he'd willingly walk away from the music biz, but he was having more fun living a private life, hanging out with these guys, sharing some friendly conversation without having to be Beatle John, and watching the wheels spinning behind the bar. I may have misremembered this part, but I thought this took place at the bar in a hotel in Tokyo, where he and Yoko were visiting family and he was having an afternoon to himself. But your friend was amazed to see how much of the lyrics were almost exact quotes of things he'd said to them - he probably went back to his room and wrote it all down while it was fresh in his memory.

"Quite."

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Aug 2018, 10:51

yomptepi wrote:
what is 'GLEDE' e . wrote:Half of Imagine is pretty poor. I was hugely disappointed when I first heard it (almost 20 years after I first heard POB, which knocked me out).

I think the tunes overall are good. And I quite like the production. There are moments that take your breath away.

But at its heart it is a nasty, bitter, poisonous record. He uses the sweetness of the sound to cover up his bitterness. Whenever I hear Imagine, I hear a man trying to get even. Desperate to settle scores. Trying to prove he is better.

It isn't a patch on Ram.

It isn't.

But POB matches Ram
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Aug 2018, 13:56

zoomboogity wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:
fange wrote:
That's the kind of personal anecdote i'd like to be able to tell!

It was a good story, obviously he elaborated quite a bit when he told me. He and his mates had spotted Lennon in the bar and asked him to join them for a beer but he refused at first and left the bar, then he returned a few minutes later and said ok but no Beatles talk. They spent a couple of hours having a laugh and chatting about all kinds of stuff, not just music.

I remember someone telling this story in the early days of this board. So it was you! I remember that the wheels were the type you'd see on old ships, spinning like gears into each other, and his comment was how so many people couldn't believe that he'd willingly walk away from the music biz, but he was having more fun living a private life, hanging out with these guys, sharing some friendly conversation without having to be Beatle John, and watching the wheels spinning behind the bar. I may have misremembered this part, but I thought this took place at the bar in a hotel in Tokyo, where he and Yoko were visiting family and he was having an afternoon to himself. But your friend was amazed to see how much of the lyrics were almost exact quotes of things he'd said to them - he probably went back to his room and wrote it all down while it was fresh in his memory.

Yes, it was probably me that told the story before, it was a long time ago he told me about it - I remember he was very happy to tell it to someone who was genuinely interested as he said most people didn't care. Lennon was in Bermuda at the time my friend said he was there so the dates tallied.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 29 Aug 2018, 17:00

Oh poor baby!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Aug 2018, 19:58

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Sep 2018, 13:21

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Twang

Postby Twang » 22 Sep 2018, 18:24

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 22 Sep 2018, 19:50

Twang wrote:

This might be "bitter", but it's ace!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 22 Sep 2018, 20:11

Yeah, watching the five of them do that together was pretty cool.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Sep 2018, 10:44

I much prefer that posted version to the more produced one that appeared on the record. I really like the sound they got there, like a wired, vaguely oriental, groove..it reminds me of the sound of ''No Other' (the song rather than the album).

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 23 Sep 2018, 11:07

The Modernist wrote:I much prefer that posted version to the more produced one that appeared on the record. I really like the sound they got there, like a wired, vaguely oriental, groove..it reminds me of the sound of ''No Other' (the song rather than the album).

Something to do with that keyboard sound (Vox Continental?) I think, as well as that lazy groove.

It goes on a bit but it's great to see them playing together. George looks handsome. And John's new Epiphone with the manufacturer's label still attached!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Sep 2018, 14:00

"This one's called 'Fuh Paul'."

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Sep 2018, 15:34

Newly discovered Macca track "On a Mattress Stuffed With Treasure Next to My Beautiful Wife" to be released.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Sep 2018, 15:41

Unused Lennon artwork, ca. 1971

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 23 Sep 2018, 17:09

:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Yakety Yak”