Exactly what was called for.

Jimbly

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jimbly » 16 Sep 2018, 21:11

You're not wrong.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Sep 2018, 08:51

driftin wrote:Image

Just lovely.

We watched this yesterday.

It really is. :)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Sep 2018, 17:44

White Boy Rick (2017)

Interesting true-life crime story about a teenage boy in Detroit who became an informant in the FBI's war against drugs. Good performances by Matthew McConaughey and newcomer Richie Merritt.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Sep 2018, 19:05

Watched it last night on AMC. I've seen it before a couple times.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 Sep 2018, 10:28

Great scenes, but (maybe) not a great film - right?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Sep 2018, 17:13

:roll:

driftin

Postby driftin » 20 Sep 2018, 09:37

https://vimeo.com/283467024

Notorious for the ways in which director Çetin İnanç edited footage from Star Wars into his own film, along with music from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Flash Gordon, Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982) is the “holy grail” of remakesploitation cinema.

The Man Who Saves the World revolves around two Turkish space pilots who crash- land on a desert planet enslaved by an evil wizard. Memorable sequences involve the heroes battling robots inspired by Battlestar Galactica and Forbidden Planet — plus mummies, skeletons, and multi-coloured yetis. Another sees them in starfighter “cockpits,” wearing motorcycle helmets, as footage from the Star Wars Death Star battle is projected behind them.

Saw this at the cinema. Horribly incompetent, weird, cheap, stupid, illogical... and amazing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2018, 18:14

Eddie Shah environment wrote:Great scenes, but (maybe) not a great film - right?

I'd agree. The ending seems too easy and quick a resolution for me. It's startling, but leaves a lot of stuff hanging.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Sep 2018, 19:52

Yeah.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Sep 2018, 21:30

Notorious for the ways in which director Çetin İnanç edited footage from Star Wars into his own film, along with music from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Flash Gordon, Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982) is the “holy grail” of remakesploitation cinema.

The Man Who Saves the World revolves around two Turkish space pilots who crash- land on a desert planet enslaved by an evil wizard. Memorable sequences involve the heroes battling robots inspired by Battlestar Galactica and Forbidden Planet — plus mummies, skeletons, and multi-coloured yetis. Another sees them in starfighter “cockpits,” wearing motorcycle helmets, as footage from the Star Wars Death Star battle is projected behind them.

Saw this at the cinema. Horribly incompetent, weird, cheap, stupid, illogical... and amazing.

That sounds awesome.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 Sep 2018, 11:42

Gone Girl

I had to switch it off after 7 minutes the dialogue was so corny and affected.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Sep 2018, 19:41

Eddie Shah environment wrote:Great scenes, but (maybe) not a great film - right?

I get where you're coming from. You wouldn't call it a particularly great story..but the performances and the kind of raw guerilla shooting that Scorcese was pioneering (albeit heavily influenced by Cassavetes) make it a classic of its kind for me.

driftin

Postby driftin » 22 Sep 2018, 03:40

pcqgod wrote:

That sounds awesome.

It's right up your alley I reckon. There's lots of bad bootlegs available everywhere, even YouTube, but if possible try and see this with lots of other people at the cinema. The raucous laughter and atmosphere just makes all the ineptitude much more entertaining.

Look at this. How brilliantly dumb is this?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Sep 2018, 03:53

Blue Collar

Paul Schrader's greatest film still resonates precisely because its message concerning union corruption is relevant today. As a teacher, I thank God for unions and the protection they provide, but I'd be blind if I said that corruption isn't widespread across America and hasn't been for decades. This, from the glory days of the 1970s, is prescient in a way I couldn't have predicted as a kid. Pryor (in a career best), Keitel, and Kotto (wasn't he great?) all deliver virtual career bests (okay, maybe not Harvey) in a picture that was fine in 1978, but is remarkably modern in its tale of three friends who are under the thumb of bills and monthly payments and decide to rob their union office and consequently suffer the ill effects of their actions. This region B blu is more proof positive (as if I needed more) that we all need a region-free disc player for home video satisfaction. Do you hear me, bitches?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 Sep 2018, 06:07

Family movie night.

The worst thing I've seen since Moulin Rouge, and it's possibly even worse than that.

The kids loved it, and it reminded me that when I was a kid, my dad took me took me to see Tod Browning's Freaks, so I guess I have to do better for my kid.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 24 Sep 2018, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Sep 2018, 18:55

Snarfyguy wrote:Image
Family movie night.

Then worst thing I've seen since Moulin Rouge, and it's possibly even worse than that.

The kids loved it, and it reminded me that when I was a kid, my dad took me took me to see Tod Browning's Freaks, so I guess I have to do better for my kid.

I saw that on HBO. I don't recall seeing a musical with such unmemorable songs before. I think I would have preferred a story about P.T. Barnum the huckster, rather than P.T. Barnum, the magical sprinkler of fairy-dust into our mundane lives.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Sep 2018, 20:48

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Blue Collar

Paul Schrader's greatest film still resonates precisely because its message concerning union corruption is relevant today. As a teacher, I thank God for unions and the protection they provide, but I'd be blind if I said that corruption isn't widespread across America and hasn't been for decades. This, from the glory days of the 1970s, is prescient in a way I couldn't have predicted as a kid. Pryor (in a career best), Keitel, and Kotto (wasn't he great?) all deliver virtual career bests (okay, maybe not Harvey) in a picture that was fine in 1978, but is remarkably modern in its tale of three friends who are under the thumb of bills and monthly payments and decide to rob their union office and consequently suffer the ill effects of their actions. This region B blu is more proof positive (as if I needed more) that we all need a region-free disc player for home video satisfaction. Do you hear me, bitches?

It's been ages since I've seen that, but it's one of those films that's always stuck with me. Saying it's Pryor's best film performance is almost underselling how good he is in a largely straight part, it seems a shame he never took on other roles of this quality. I mean, I guess he'll always have something of a reputation in comedy to fall back on [/understatement], but he really showed how he could relate to the audience in a part with something to say.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Sep 2018, 21:59

In rereading my review, I notice I used the phrase 'career best' twice. Precisely the kind of thing an editor would've caught because I'm too lazy to read the whole thing before I hit 'submit.' But yeah, the three leads were interesting. And it's particularly fascinating to note that they hated each other while filming. Fighting was (even physical altercations) rampant during production. Schrader had a bit of a meltdown one day right in the middle of work. Pryor called him a pussy!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Sep 2018, 13:01

The wife bought this DVD to watch while on holiday, and we forgot about it. Sadly, we found it the other day, and chose to watch it last night. There's absolutely no point to it being in London, nothing is made of the location apart from some really shoddy CGI set-pieces. The plot is stupid beyond belief, and the levels of sheer xenophobia and Islamophobia are mental.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Screenadelica”