No votes
Mac
69%

Total votes: 16

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

worst of these

Postby naughty boy » 08 Sep 2018, 09:43

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: worst of these

Postby The Modernist » 08 Sep 2018, 09:52

oh it's the Macca by a country mile. Whatever you think about the others ( personally I'm okay with The Rezillos, find 'English Rose' a little clunky and the Seger a bit dull and generic) they do at least sound comfortable in their own skin, they achieve in what they set out to do. The Macca seems poorly conceived on every level, it's desperate and embarrassing.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Sep 2018, 10:16

Good grief.

It is McCartney - but not by anything like the distance G says. The Rezillos is a nasty little ditty, very calculating. The Seger (though saved by the voice of an angel) is basically a dull plodding tune. And The Jam is a horrible piece of sixth form poetry with fake Elizabethan aspirations.

But it's Macca.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Sep 2018, 10:19

If the Macca was called 'Good Grief!' or 'Let's Go' or 'Hey Yeah!' or something then it wouldn't be so hated, of course.

Lyrics are often used to point out weaknesses, but rarely used as a signifier of greatness (unless it's Laughing Len or Dylan or one of those tiresome old cunts)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Sep 2018, 10:22

BOXO wrote:If the Macca was called 'Good Grief!' or 'Let's Go' or 'Hey Yeah!' or something then it wouldn't be so hated, of course.

Lyrics are often used to point out weaknesses, but rarely used as a signifier of greatness (unless it's Laughing Len or Dylan or one of those tiresome old cunts)

I don't even understand the title, so that went over my head. It's just very bad on every level.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2018, 10:47

The Rezillos were a pretty good pop band (Destination Venus is a classic), I don't recall the Seger (although Chip used to quite like him, so I may have heard it), can't be arsed with Wanker's album fillers, McCuntney (heard once) wins at a canter.
I know you've put up youtube clips, but do you really expect us to listen to any of them? I've had enough of that with the 'classics' put up in the ’90s cup.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Sep 2018, 10:54

Listening to them might help you make a decision :)

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2018, 11:19

BOXO wrote:Listening to them might help you make a decision :)

Oh no, not necessary, blind prejudice will do. That's what Versus threads (and the cups, for most people, including me, most of the time, anyway), are all about. Besides, I listened to the McCartney once when it was first put up and decided I would never listen to it, or him, again, I bought and enjoy(ed) everything the Rezillos put down in the Jo Callis era, I bought and listened to all the Jam albums (although that track didn't stick, like the rest of the non-singles filler), despite that Mod shit, and as I said, Chip liked Seger, so I heard him and thought he was all right, a bit like a low-rent Springsteen/Southside Johnny, because that was the context in the 1980s when I heard him. And why should I open, let alone change my mind, when listening to music is no longer the big thing in my life it was from, say, 1960-1995?

I made a lot of decisions like that, and I feel no need to revisit them, especially at the advice of people who still listen to, say, the Beatles or Steely Dan ;) , and who were in nappies when I first made those decisions as an adult. I'm 70 years old next month, John: can you think of any reason at all why I should listen to four pieces of unimportant pop music, three of them from more than 30 years ago, to decide which is the most offensive to my ears? In what way would my doing that enrich my already full and meaningful life, or indeed yours? As it is, my fairly recent avowals to never again be tempted into listening to anything by Beck, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Bjork, Sigur Ros, King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Wanker, and a few dozen others hasn't had any remotely deleterious effect.

And in case that sounds like I'm remotely cross, :) ;) :shock: :? :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Sep 2018, 11:23

OK, OK! :lol:

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Sep 2018, 12:04

Here Rayge, try this

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Sep 2018, 13:16

pickled penis my arse wrote:Here Rayge, try this

No need, dear boy. I bought all the first three Dan albums, know them quite well. :)

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Sep 2018, 13:18

There’s hope for you yet.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

NMB

Postby NMB » 08 Sep 2018, 16:52

I like the first three. The McCartney’s better than I expected having read the reviews. Abstain.
turn on, tune in, nod off

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 09 Sep 2018, 15:20

McCartney by far—not only is it an embarrassing piece of shit as a song, but it depresses the bejeezus out of me to hear what has happened to his voice. He’s starting to bark like Paul Weller.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Sep 2018, 00:51

pig bodine wrote:McCartney by far—not only is it an embarrassing piece of shit as a song, but it depresses the bejeezus out of me to hear what has happened to his voice. He’s starting to bark like Paul Weller.

In which case Pete will be claiming it is a return to form.
You don't like me...do you?

TG

Postby TG » 10 Sep 2018, 04:29

Diamond Dog wrote:The Seger (though saved by the voice of an angel)

A tremendous joke! I nearly spit out my drink. Well done.

And I’m a fan of Seger’s earlier works and like his voice on those songs.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2018, 05:13

TG wrote:

I detect irony.....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

TG

Postby TG » 10 Sep 2018, 05:20

Diamond Dog wrote:
TG wrote:

I detect irony.....

Nope. It cracked me up after having read your views on his singing, etc. on the other Seger thread. Besides, I’m from the USA. We don’t get irony. Apparently.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Sep 2018, 05:56

I like them all at least mildly.

At least half the entries in the 90s cup are worse than any of these.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 10 Sep 2018, 07:31

The McCartney might even be worse than Spies Like Us. I’m not listening to either again to find out though.

Return to “Yakety Yak”