The whole audience was completely as one...

..and why not?
Fonz

The whole audience was completely as one...

Postby Fonz » 10 Aug 2018, 16:00

Moments in films where the audience was completely at one.

From an idea by Quaco.

First up:

The Gimp. ‘Pulp Fiction’. Disbelief. Bewilderment. WTF. 25 years ago, no one knew what a gimp was. Of course, they’re everywhere now.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Sneelock

Re: The whole audience was completely as one...

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2018, 16:13

the scene in "Aliens" where Ripley, in her forklift suit, confronts the Big Mamma Alien and says "put her down you bitch" the audience turned into a great cheering mob. it was pretty great. I saw it twice more on it's first run in the theatres and this happened each time.
uggy poopy doody.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Aug 2018, 16:25

Watching Modern Times a couple of years ago at the old Loews Palace in Jersey City, the scene where Chaplin's roller skating while blindfolded, unaware that he's on the brink of a precipice.

A couple of hundred people sitting together in the dark, all laughing their heads off. Rarely have I felt more connected to my fellow man.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Aug 2018, 16:29

sneelock wrote:the scene in "Aliens" where Ripley, in her forklift suit, confronts the Big Mamma Alien and says "put her down you bitch" the audience turned into a great cheering mob. it was pretty great. I saw it twice more on it's first run in the theatres and this happened each time.

I am compelled to point out that it's "get away from her, you bitch!". Sorry.

But, yeah, incredible stuff. That whole stretch of the movie, from when Ripley tools up to the final battle is, hands down, one of my favorite things ever.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Aug 2018, 18:03

This would only work in Scotland. We went to see Gorky Park. In one of the smaller parts was a Scottish actor, Rikki Fulton. Rikki had a programme which went out at Hogmany and entered the Scottish psyche. He was also part of a double act Francie and Josie, which meant nothing outside of Scotland. Rikki was a brilliant comic actor but always hankered after serious roles and to regarded as a "proper" actor.

During Gorky Park, Rikki popped up in his role as a policeman and the whole cinema instantly burst out laughing. Not the desired effect I'm sure.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Aug 2018, 18:44

I've been to two movies where there was mass standing applause at the end and they were very different film genres but both with magnificent music throughout.

The first was Midnight Express and years later, Strictly Ballroom
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2018, 19:10

sneelock wrote:the scene in "Aliens" where Ripley, in her forklift suit, confronts the Big Mamma Alien and says "put her down you bitch" the audience turned into a great cheering mob. it was pretty great. I saw it twice more on it's first run in the theatres and this happened each time.

Yep, same as!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 13 Aug 2018, 03:39

Picnic at Hanging Rock, where Gary McDonald, a comedian, plays a serious role as a copper. The whole audience cracks up the first time he appears.

king of the divan

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Aug 2018, 00:51

Watched a screening of Pink Floyd at Pompeii a couple years ago, and, for some reason, after the "Saucerful of Secrets" performance, the crowd just applauded. It hadn't been a rowdy crowd before that, and none of the other songs received any kind of recognition. I somehow think we are all so accustomed to rock things -- guitar solos, keyboard textures, what the Floyd look like, how they acted -- that when we saw something that was truly unique, adventurous, not to mention cinematically awesome, it just shocked us.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 01:00

I've noticed audiences at the Glasgow Film Theatre applaud the most famous lines of old classics. 'you're gonna need a bigger boat' in Jaws got a big hand, and 'two coats!' in The Producers got a prolonged round of applause. I think it's wonderful - heartwarming, somehow.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Aug 2018, 01:23

The Velvet Underground wrote:I've noticed audiences at the Glasgow Film Theatre applaud the most famous lines of old classics. 'you're gonna need a bigger boat' in Jaws got a big hand, and 'two coats!' in The Producers got a prolonged round of applause. I think it's wonderful - heartwarming, somehow.

Sounds horrible! Like that's all they're getting from it. Like people who know to stand for the Hallelujah Chorus, but talk during the rest of it.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 04:48

:)

Yeah, I know what you mean. But they're a very appreciative audience. They laugh a bit too often, that's all (I often see that in evening showings - a great old Bela Lugosi film I saw years ago was ruined by idiots guffawing the whole way through)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2018, 16:49

CAN wrote:I've noticed audiences at the Glasgow Film Theatre applaud the most famous lines of old classics. 'you're gonna need a bigger boat' in Jaws got a big hand, and 'two coats!' in The Producers got a prolonged round of applause. I think it's wonderful - heartwarming, somehow.

Never had that happen when I've been there. Last two times were 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia, not a peep.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 17:01

I'm not surprised

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 14 Aug 2018, 17:08

There are two that I can think of, with polar opposite effects
- Minority Report - an above average flick that had most of the audience in the theatre pretty gripped and interested...but then the absolutely shockingly bad happy ending (with Tom Cruise holding his pregnant wife or some other such crap) had the audience cry out in one incredible collective groan - never heard anything like it. I can imagine that watching the original Blade Runner and/or AI might have had a similar effect - the endings go so contrary to the look and feel of the movie up until that point, and feel so cheap.
- Spaceballs. There was nearly a riot in the cinema when I saw this. It just seemed to hit a perfect mark, with people crying and hollering with laughter through the whole movie. I remember looking around at people after this and feeling some kind of kinship with everyone over what we had seen. I'm not sure I have any interest in seeing the movie again but it's a great reminder that even pretty suspect movies can catch you off-guard in the right moment.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2018, 18:04

CAN wrote:I'm not surprised

Dont know why, there's a few iconic lines in both.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 18:07

Yeah, but they're serious films. Silence = respect.

No?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Aug 2018, 18:15

Yes. I'll report back when i see a prole's film there.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 14 Aug 2018, 19:14

I still remember the collective gasp when Ben Gardner's head popped out of that hole in the boat. I was ten!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Aug 2018, 20:14

A friend of mine tells the story of seeing Spellbound at the New Beverly Cinema, and when Gregory Peck first appeared on screen, the audience as one gasped, he was so beautiful. It's better when he tells it, but I have always loved that.

Return to “Screenadelica”