iPod quest

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: iPod quest

Postby Muskrat » 03 Aug 2018, 05:33

bobzilla77 wrote: When I opened Google Play on the phone, to my surprise, my entire music library from home PC was accessible as links. Google has, I guess, placed my entire music collection somewhere on the cloud. It's obviously MY collection because it includes tracks I recorded myself, not just links to the google play database.

Microsoft OneDrive does the same thing. I have a subscription to Office, which includes 1 TB of cloud storage, where I keep all my music, photos and documents. Backed up to an external hard drive, of course but I have OneDrive on my computers, IPad and iPhone.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 13 Aug 2018, 00:07

I have a Fiio and would recommend it. Slightly clunky software (they may have improved it by now -- mine is a bit old) but fabulous sound
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 16 Aug 2018, 22:37

bobzilla77 wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:I use the classic iPod. Since I use it whenever I drive - which is every day, I tend to go through them about every three years or so. They usually cost over $200 but it's worth it. Nothing else can play over 18,000 songs.

The Fiio X1 goes up to 256GB now. If you have your music ripped as MP3s at 190 that's like 25,000 songs.

I've a few iPod devices here, but reading everything here today I'm very tempted by one of these Fiio players for my FLAC files...

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 16 Aug 2018, 23:58

I've been thinking about the Fiio, to be honest my Ipod Touch 64gb is on the way out and as the classic is now gone and apple now seem to be abandoning ipods i'm thinking about spending out on a 128GB Touch before they finally disappear. Its a hell of a cost (£300) but my 64gb has lasted 7 years and the investment might be worthwhile. Not 100% convinced on the Fiio. I guess 12 years of Apple Ipod makes me nervous to change unless its a seamless change.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Aug 2018, 16:23

The Dansrue seems to be extremely good value at £50.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 Aug 2018, 22:07

Toby wrote:The Dansrue seems to be extremely good value at £50.

That and a 128gb micro sd card could be a go-er. Interesting, checking that one out further, if further poundage being put in apples coffers for old tech can be avoided.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 17 Aug 2018, 23:04

I don't want to try and talk anybody out of Apple products if they are comfortable and happy with them BUT... I personally would never buy one of their devices or use another piece of their software. Apple has re-labeled files in my hard drive; has refused to let me load up files on a borrowed Ipod or retrieve any files from that borrowed Ipod including files I recorded myself; basically wants to ruin my life in exchange for playlist convenience. They have pissed me off royally and fuck them. I understand not everyone feels this way. But I would say, if any of that kind of thing has bugged you in the past, consider an alternative.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 01:10

bump
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Aug 2018, 17:11

The craziest thing. Maybe I'll jinx it by saying it here but my old Mac Mini and iPod are working better at this moment than they have in a few years.

Connecting the iPod to the machine has been a problem. Was it the wire, the computer or the iPod ("Or you," my wife said)? If I fiddled with the iPod and held it at just the right angle and then set it down just ... so - - sometimes it'd click and connect. Otherwise error messages and frustration after frustration.

Long story short I went through my old wires, found an Apple brand wire and it didn't work. Another off brand wire didn't work. Then there was this black off brand wire, I connected it from the back of the computer to the iPod and BLAM! it worked, like it should, like normal. The charge light came on and the iTunes loaded up and no spinny wheel. I typed in a search and it wasn't slow at all. As a final test, sometimes the built-in Mac mini CD player didn't accept the CD and after thinking for a minute or so would spit it out. I have this Motown Sings The Beatles CD that never took. A minute ago I put it in and BLAM, it downloaded the thing as it should.

The black wire, man, it's doing something groovy. :D
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Aug 2018, 14:49

But, I discovered, in order for the iPod to connect with the iTunes I have to quit iTunes. Otherwise, when I plug the iPod in nothing happens. With iTunes off, however, when I plug in the iPod all the right icons appear and automatically iTunes reloads. Talk about fickle!
Question authority.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 13 Nov 2018, 09:45

Just bumping this...am about to replace the trusty iPod and am swaying towards a Fiio, perhaps the Fiio M7. Any further thoughts, or is there something better out there that I should look at??

Return to “Yakety Yak”