if The Beatles are not your favourite band...

Do talk back
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: if The Beatles are not your favourite band...

Postby Count Machuki » 08 Aug 2018, 16:30

I used to just say Booker T. & the MGs and be done with it, but I'm not so sure any more. The Who or the '68 JBs are right up there, too.

It's just really hard to rank stuff like this for me these days. Not sure why.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Aug 2018, 16:31

Count Machuki wrote:It's just really hard to rank stuff like this for me these days. Not sure why.

I might also say that having a favorite band or a favorite album isn't as necessary to me as it once was.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 08 Aug 2018, 17:10

I think we use favourite bands and albums as a way of defining who we are, it's an identity thing. That process becomes less important as you get older. Also I think our tastes become both more eclectic and more obscure; although this isn't true of people generally, it is true of a certain kind of music fan and it becomes harder, even unwelcome, to define your tastes in that kind of reductive way.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 17:15

Indeed.

Still - I think it's possible to single out a band or an artist who's given you more pleasure than any other. I've certainly seen lots of evidence of that here over the years. It's quite clear to even the casual BCB poster that you love Shalamar more than any other band, G. And JSJ's obsession with Bruce Hornsby and the Range is famous beyond even these pages.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Aug 2018, 17:33

The Velvet Underground wrote:And JSJ's obsession with Bruce Hornsby and the Range is famous beyond even these pages.

:lol:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 18:49

Bent Fabric wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:It's just really hard to rank stuff like this for me these days. Not sure why.

I might also say that having a favorite band or a favorite album isn't as necessary to me as it once was.

Re: Favorite album. When doing rankings of albums, one always ends up on top, but I don't remember a time where I was thinking "This is my favorite album", even when I was younger. Did you have that kind of favorite album when you were young? Thread idea? (Don't know if the concept is easily graspable though.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:05

Quaco wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:

Re: Favorite album. When doing rankings of albums, one always ends up on top, but I don't remember a time where I was thinking "This is my favorite album", even when I was younger. Did you have that kind of favorite album when you were young? Thread idea? (Don't know if the concept is easily graspable though.)

Yeah, it's only when you're called on to make a list that such a concept even enters your head!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:08

...periods of obsessing over particular songs - YES, absolutely

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 19:37

The Velvet Underground wrote:
Quaco wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:I might also say that having a favorite band or a favorite album isn't as necessary to me as it once was.

Yeah, it's only when you're called on to make a list that such a concept even enters your head!

Yes! That seems right.

I think there was a period when I had just discovered Wonderwall Music when I proclaimed it my favoritest album. It was still kind of obscure -- and it certainly hit squarely in my home base area musically (EMI phased pianos, backwards voices, mellotron, generic soundtracky strings) -- so it felt good to pick that one.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 19:38

The Velvet Underground wrote:...periods of obsessing over particular songs - YES, absolutely

This definitely happens! But it doesn't last all that long, for me, I have found. Maybe a couple weeks usually?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:41

Yeah, probably. I meant as a kid, the devotion to particular songs starts early.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 19:47

Speaking of Beatles and favorite songs, I remember one "memorable" day in high school when I spent a couple class periods putting all the Beatles songs in order of preference. I think I started at the beginning (from memory! couldn't do that easily nowadays), and just kept adding each successive song either above or below.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:59

:)

I remember staying in a caravan near the beach with my folks when I was about 14, and taking a mono cassette recorder and playing the fuck out of 'The Inner Light' for some reason (I think I'd taped it off some rarities compilation).

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 20:05

(Speaking of Wonderwall Music.) Great image. I can totally imagine that. BTW the winner on my list was "She Said She Said".

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2018, 20:09

Great choice! (it was always my fave on the album)

F.o.W

Postby F.o.W » 11 Aug 2018, 14:47

The Clash. The Beatles weren't bad, per se, just fucking sick of them.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 11 Aug 2018, 15:31

Muse. They can do anything.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Aug 2018, 18:32

Phenomenal Cat wrote:Muse. They can do anything.

Hopefully including fucking right off.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 12 Aug 2018, 00:11

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:Muse. They can do anything.

Hopefully including fucking right off.

If fucking right off includes combining the best of Nirvana, Bends-era Radiohead and the bombast of vintage Queen, then I should think they're up to the task.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 12 Aug 2018, 00:14

trans-chigley express wrote:XTC

unlike the Beatles I was around as their albums were released so could go out and buy them as and when they came out which was hugely exciting for me in the 80s as nearly all other bands I liked had their back catalogues already fully formed. It was a novelty to experience the anticipation of an upcoming release and hearing the lead off single for the first time.

Listen to Ray at this point.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Return to “Yakety Yak”