I hear some people died in Gaza

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Re: I hear some people died in Gaza

Postby Butch Manly » 23 Jun 2018, 11:28

From the Middle East Eye website:

Health organisations and Gaza’s health ministry have repeatedly warned about the difficult conditions in the besieged enclave’s hospitals because of poor access to electricity and material shortages. The Israeli army’s violent repression of the Great March of Return has only further strained health resources in Gaza.

NGOs such as Physicians for Human Rights - Israel (PHRI) have also slammed the Israeli government for denying numerous Palestinians’ requests for exit permits in order to receive adequate treatment in the occupied West Bank for their wounds. Israel’s denial of exit permits has been blamed for at least 43 Palestinians having limbs amputated because of lack of access to proper care.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Jun 2018, 09:35

Israel lobby seeks to erase occupation from Virginia schoolbooks

Human rights activists in Virginia are fighting to protect the quality and accuracy of schoolbooks as Israel advocacy organizations seek substantial changes to the texts. The suggested changes would distort the way Israeli history is depicted, deliberately whitewashing its military occupation and ongoing policies of land theft, apartheid and expulsion of Palestinians.

These changes have been proposed to the Virginia Department of Education by the California-based Institute for Curriculum Services – a “strategic initiative” of the Jewish Community Relations Council, an organization with an active Israel lobby.

ICS director Aliza Craimer Elias recently boasted in a video interview that her firm works “behind the scenes” with textbook publishers to edit entries about Jews, Judaism and Israel and to train classroom educators with ICS curricula. Elias said that many of the major textbook publishers “often come to us to work with them on manuscripts and development,” adding that about 85 percent of their proposed edits end up getting accepted.

While some of their suggested edits address issues of Holocaust denial and offensive stereotypes of Jews and Judaism in biblical references, others address the way Israel’s establishment has been explained, as well as Israel’s current policies of discrimination, occupation and land theft. In the video, Elias bragged that ICS had successfully changed a textbook entry to omit reference to Israel’s forced expulsion of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in the lead up to and after the state of Israel was declared.

She claimed that ICS had succeeded in having textbooks entries changed which blamed the foundation of Israel for displacing Palestinians, suggesting that such displacement was simply the outcome of a war fought in 1948.

Other proposed edits include replacing the words “occupied territories” as “captured areas” when referring to the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, the Gaza Strip and the Syrian Golan Heights, according to Jeanne Trabulsi, an educator in Virginia who was interviewed for The Electronic Intifada Podcast.

She was joined in conversation with Paul Noursi of the Virginia Coalition for Human Rights and Michael Fischbach, a history professor at Randolph Macon College.

The word “settlers” would be replaced with “communities,” Trabulsi added, and “wall,” in reference to Israel’s illegal wall in the West Bank, would be replaced with “security fence.”

ICS claims that it has already made more than 11,000 edits to US textbooks used in all 50 states.

The Virginia Coalition for Human Rights, which represents 16 Virginia-based peace groups, have joined more than a dozen educators to urge textbook publishers Houghton-Mifflin Harcourt, McGraw-Hill, Prentice Hall/Pearson, National Geographic and others not to accept what they say are factually challenged, biased and exclusionary recommendations. The coalition has appealed to the state’s leadership as well, asking Governor Ralph Northam to “freeze the suggested changes” to Virginia social studies textbooks and “not incorporate them until a panel of qualified and nonpartisan academic experts is consulted.” The governor’s office has not yet responded to the coalition’s letter, Noursi said, but activists say they will meet with officials with the Virginia department of education and other state lawmakers. One textbook publisher, Pearson, replied to the group saying it intends to critically review the proposed edits, according to Noursi.

“We felt we had to do something” about ICS’s current suggestions to Virginia’s textbooks, Noursi told The Electronic Intifada Podcast. Students are learning information that they might not have much of an opportunity to critically analyze later on, Noursi explained, so the accuracy of the information they receive is crucial. Information that obscures or deliberately misinforms students on the issue of Palestine “could really have detrimental effects far beyond Virginia,” he said.

Fischbach said he was troubled to see the way that language has been manipulated to distort basic facts and call them into question.
“This kind of thing is insidious because it undermines … the very nature of the role of education [which] in a democracy is to inform people,” he said. Fischbach explained that Israel advocates understand that they have lost the public relations battle “and what they’re now trying to do instead of fight this discourse on the facts is simply, literally, to rewrite it – to frame a new narrative for a new generation of young people.”

In 2016, Israel advocates pressured textbook publisher McGraw-Hill Education to withdraw and destroy all copies of a textbook that featured four maps of what is now Israel, Gaza and the West Bank. The maps showed the accurate progression of loss of Palestinian land from 1946 to 2000 as Israel continues to expand its settlements and colonial control. “Supporters of Israel have fought the use of these maps elsewhere and quickly urged McGraw-Hill to change or withdraw the textbook,” reported Inside Higher Education.

Despite the efforts by Israel advocates to rewrite history – and, at the same time, intimidate, harass and silence students and academics who speak out against Israel’s violations of Palestinian rights – Virginia activists say that the strength of their campaign is growing.
“This is a fairly straightforward issue,” Noursi said. “Let’s call things what they are: illegal settlements are illegal settlements, they should be called out as such. Military occupation is military occupation, it needs to be called out as such, it needs to be taught as such in the textbooks.”

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/no ... choolbooks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the Electronic Intifada website has been characterised as "propaganda" on here before but when used judiciously it is actually a pretty reliable (U.S.A. based) source of information which is all but ignored by the mainstream news outlets. And, of course, this particular article and accompanying podcast are not so much propaganda as an exposé of how the pro-Israel propaganda machine operates in the shadows of political and media worlds: If you can't defeat the truth, change the truth.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 30 Jun 2018, 10:52

The problem is that despite the symbolic importance of the Right To Return, what is there to return to? Many areas have vanished or been altered and renamed. And yet to renounce it..

On a related note my dad tells me that the latest gossip from Lebanon is that Kushner is offering a colossal sum to the government there if they allow Palestinian refugees to take Lebanese nationality. At present their situation is miserable as they have no rights or access to jobs in the way Lebanese do. Such a move would make an enormous difference to them - but at the price of giving up their identity?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Jun 2018, 11:50

Belle Lettre wrote:The problem is that despite the symbolic importance of the Right To Return, what is there to return to? Many areas have vanished or been altered and renamed. And yet to renounce it..

Until pretty recently, I believed in the Two State Solution but then one day it suddenly occurred to me that Israel has NO intention of ever agreeing to a two state solution. All of its actions scream out that they do not even entertain the idea. Everyone pays lip service to the notion of Two State whilst Israel relentlessly breaks international law with impunity by stealing land day after day in the West Bank - there just isn't going to be a two state solution.

With that in mind, the Arab population of Israel (including Gaza and the West Bank) need guarantees of full citizenship, rights and protection within a new state of Israel with maybe even a new constitution. Clearly, we are a million miles from that, too, but if Two State is impossible, aim for the as-yet highly unlikely....
Goatboy to Belle:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Jun 2018, 15:04

Tonto Papadopoulos wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:The problem is that despite the symbolic importance of the Right To Return, what is there to return to? Many areas have vanished or been altered and renamed. And yet to renounce it..

Until pretty recently, I believed in the Two State Solution but then one day it suddenly occurred to me that Israel has NO intention of ever agreeing to a two state solution. All of its actions scream out that they do not even entertain the idea. Everyone pays lip service to the notion of Two State whilst Israel relentlessly breaks international law with impunity by stealing land day after day in the West Bank - there just isn't going to be a two state solution.

With that in mind, the Arab population of Israel (including Gaza and the West Bank) need guarantees of full citizenship, rights and protection within a new state of Israel with maybe even a new constitution. Clearly, we are a million miles from that, too, but if Two State is impossible, aim for the as-yet highly unlikely....

The democratic secular state. The obvious democratic answer. Give everyone the same rights and responsibilities.

Jewish Israelis would never agree because it could see them in the minority especially if all displaced Palestinians were given the same right to ‘return’ as all Jews have - which would have to be the case for it to be a true democracy.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 14 Jul 2018, 13:32

Irish senate votes to ban Israeli settlement goods

11 July 2018

Irish senators on Wednesday passed a bill to ban the import of goods from Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian land.

Frances Black, the singer and independent politician who sponsored the bill, tweeted that the vote was “a first step, but an important one.”

“Today we state strongly: Ireland will always stand for international humanitarian law, justice and human rights,” Black added.

Israel will fear that if Ireland imposes consequences for its unchecked violations of international law, other countries may follow.

Israel summoned the Irish ambassador in Tel Aviv in protest.

“The Irish people can be proud that the Irish Seanad today took a brave step in leading the way in the fight against apartheid,” Shawan Jabarin, director of the Palestinian human rights group Al Haq stated.

The morning of the vote, Black urged support for the bill in an article for The Irish Times.

“There is a clear hypocrisy here – how can we condemn the settlements as ‘unambiguously illegal,’ as theft of land and resources, but happily buy the proceeds of this crime?” the senator stated.

She also recounted how on her recent visit to Palestine she had seen the devastating impact of Israeli colonization on Palestinian freedom of movement, housing and healthcare.

“I witnessed the crushing indignity of a Palestinian community cut off from their water supply so that it could be diverted to an Israeli chicken farm,” Black wrote.

“Is the moral response to condemn the illegality, but then ask how much for the eggs?” Black asked.
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 15 Jul 2018, 12:44

A certain Afrikaans word springs to mind.....

Israel in turmoil over bill allowing Jews and Arabs to be segregated

Law will ‘remove the mask so as to reveal the ugly face of ultranationalist Israel in all its repugnance’ professor says

Oliver Holmes in Jerusalem

Sun 15 Jul 2018

Israel is in the throes of political upheaval as the country’s ruling party seeks to pass legislation that could allow for Jewish-only communities, which critics have condemned as the end to a democratic state.

For the past half-decade, politicians have been wrangling over the details of the bill that holds constitution-like status and that Benjamin Netanyahu wants passed this month.

The proposed legislation would allow the state to “authorise a community composed of people having the same faith and nationality to maintain the exclusive character of that community”.

In its current state, the draft would also permit Jewish religious law to be implemented in certain cases and remove Arabic as an official language.

“In the Israeli democracy, we will continue to protect the rights of both the individual and the group, this is guaranteed. But the majority have rights too, and the majority rules,” the Israeli prime minister said this week.

A vote on the bill is expected next week, although a final draft has yet to be agreed on. The legislation has been compared to South African apartheid by Israeli parliamentarians, and several thousand Israelis protested in Tel Aviv on Saturday.

The Middle Eastern country sees itself as both a democratic and a Jewish state, saying its legal system protects the rights of Arabs, who make up more than a fifth of the population, and other minorities. However, the “Israel as the nation state of the Jewish people” bill would enshrine the country’s Jewish national and religious character into law.

“Our main concern is that it is changing the nature of the state and it changes the balance of Israel as a nation state,” said Amir Fuchs, head of the defending democratic values programme at the Israel Democracy Institute. “You can be a nation state and still be a democracy as long as you don’t discriminate,” said Fuchs. “That the state is allowed to create villages that will separate on the basis of race or religion or nationality – this is outrageous.”

The purpose of the bill, he said, was “to change the balance, to make us more of a nation state, more of a Jewish state, and less of a democracy. There is no other way to put it. And this is the biggest problem.”

Netanyahu has lashed out at domestic and international critics, ordering the foreign ministry to reprimand EU envoy Emanuele Giaufret after he was reported as saying the bill was discriminatory.

Both Israel’s attorney general and president, who holds a symbolic role, also opposed details of the bill. President Reuven Rivlin said it would harm the Jewish people worldwide and “even be used as a weapon by our enemies”. The segregation clause, he said, could also allow towns that exclude Jews of Middle Eastern origin – who have been historically sidelined – or homosexuals.

Legislator Miki Zohar, from the prime minister’s Likud party, said: “Unfortunately, President Rivlin has lost it” and had “forgotten his DNA”.

Many Israeli neighbourhoods and towns are already effectively segregated, with residents either vastly Jewish or Arab. In many places, it is tough for an Arab to move in, although segregation is not legal.

Writing in the progressive-leaning Haaretz newspaper, Mordechai Kremnitzer, from the faculty of law at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, said the bill would “remove the mask so as to reveal the ugly face of ultranationalist Israel in all its repugnance”.

The debate has also opened a rift with the Jewish diaspora, with fears among more liberal American Jewish groups that it would prioritise Orthodox communities over other denominations.

Rabbi Rick Jacobs, president of the Union for Reform Judaism, said the bill was a grave threat to Israeli democracy and hurt “the delicate balance between the Jewish majority and Arab minority, and it enthrones ultra-Orthodox Judaism at the expense of the majority of a pluralistic world Jewry”.

Daniel Sokatch, CEO of New Israel Fund, which supports civil rights groups in Israel, decried the bill as “tribalism at its worst”
Goatboy to Belle:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 15 Jul 2018, 23:20

Nikki Gradual wrote:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 16 Jul 2018, 17:42

How can a state which defines itself solely by a single religion (or ethnicity, for that matter) guarantee the human rights of all its citizens?
Goatboy to Belle:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Jul 2018, 20:56

Opinion piece in Israeli newspaper, Haaretz:

Israel’s Holocaust Credit Line Is Running Out

The day will come when not only Israeli politicians and military officials will be put on trial, but also jurists, military and civilian judges, architects and planners, everyone who enabled and enables the division of this land

Amira Hass

Jul 18, 2018 1:47 AM

The day will come when Israel’s Holocaust credit line with the world will run out. The day will come when the leaders of Judeo-Israeli colonialism will be put on trial. The day will come and those who today show shrinking tolerance toward us because of Auschwitz on one hand, our war and intelligence industry on the other, and because of our relative whiteness on another, will become fed up.

This is not prophecy, but a political-sociological assessment. We just can’t know whether it will happen after horrible bloodshed occurs here, or a moment before. The sooner that day comes, the better it will be for all of us.

Even before Europe was ruled by Hitler and his kind, who did not make do with old-fashioned anti-Semitism, Zionism developed as a movement of multiple personalities:

1. A movement looking for an outlet from the anti-Jewish racism in Europe and the cynical political uses that regimes and populist movements made of xenophobia;

2. A part of the operative and ideological mechanism of colonialism, which engaged Europe socially and economically, sought expansion for the sake of settlement and viewed the natives in other countries as excess, disposable baggage.

3. A bulldozer that prepares the ground for a uni-national state, following the post-World War I model of Turkey and Central and Eastern Europe.

The old anti-Semitism pushed the Jews to change their conditions. Even though they knew the phrase “next year in Jerusalem,” most of them did not choose the Zionist route of immigration to Palestine but the many solutions in the Diaspora: immigration to other states (before limitations were placed upon it), assimilation, firm Orthodoxy, socialism, communism, liberalism, cultural autonomy (the Bund). When Europe threw out the Jews not only from within their borders but from their very existence, and when other countries closed their gates to them, the attraction of Zionism rose among the Jews.

The subjective condition of the Jewish immigrants to Palestine on the eve of the Holocaust and in its aftermath (including Jews from Muslim countries) was that of trauma-stricken refugees. In objective terms, they were mobilized and volunteered for the mission of expelling the Palestinian people, a nation that took shape in this country over hundreds of years, in order to make room for themselves and a political order that contains and takes account only of Jews.

Europe’s shame (whether it was sincere or pragmatic) over the era of the Third Reich, along with the second characteristic of Zionism noted above, brought Israel (within its pre-1967 borders) into the bosom of nations and the consensus of international law. The shadow of the Third Reich’s atrocities temporarily obscured the disaster that the founding of Israel brought on the Palestinians. But the farther we get from Kristallnacht, Wannsee and the revolts in Treblinka and Sobibor, the more the shadow contracts. Yet we choose to go on expelling, dispossessing and trampling – to bring world leaders to Yad Vashem, and to enlist our own murdered for the enterprise of expelling the Palestinians.

Israel had opportunities to express remorse and renounce its settler-colonialist personality, and it missed them. For example, the signing of the Oslo Accords in 1993 was such an opportunity, provided by the Palestinians, and Israel consciously rejected it. Israel chose to declare to itself and to the world: Yes, I was, am and will be a settler-colonialist entity. And those who harm my sacred right to continue expelling and trampling are anti-Semites.

Indeed, this bullying deterrence works – but not all the time and not on everyone. Cities and towns in Italy and Spain condemn Israel’s policy in the Gaza Strip. The Irish Senate approved a boycott of products from the settlements. The Socialist International council’s declaration at the end of last month provided another example: It called for the recognition of a Palestinian state along the June 4, 1967 borders. It called for a complete halt to all construction in the settlements, including in Jerusalem. It called for countries to boycott, divest and/or sanction the “Israeli occupation, institutions of the illegal Israeli occupation, and settlements.” In other words, not a boycott against Israel because it is Israel, but because it carries on a colonial enterprise in the territories it conquered in 1967. In this same spirit, the council called for solidarity with progressive forces in Israel and the Palestinian citizens of Israel, and condemns the institutionalized discrimination against them.

True, the International now includes authoritarian parties that drove out several old social-democratic European parties. True, it has become corrupt and ossified. (The Israeli Labor Party’s resignation from the International last week over the BDS resolution, however, added to the International’s credit.) It does not have the power and charisma it had when Willy Brandt was president. But its representatives reflect the political positions of 140 parties and political movements around the world and the state of mind of millions of their members.

The World Council of Churches, which includes churches from many Christian denominations in some 110 countries, condemned Israel’s plan to demolish the Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar. The authors of the resolution know very well that this village is not the only one Israel intends to demolish to enable the expansion of the settlements.

The format doesn’t matter. In The Hague, in an international forum that will be set up just for us, or maybe even in our country: The day will come when not only Israeli politicians and military officials will be put on trial, but also jurists, military and civilian judges, architects and planners, everyone who enabled and enables the fashioning of this land into a penthouse for Jews and a basement – divided into separate cells – for Palestinians. May these words advance that day, even if only by a minute.
Goatboy to Belle:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 18 Jul 2018, 22:43

I was just coming to post that!
Depressed about the Labour business.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Jul 2018, 11:06

Belle Lettre wrote:..

Quite. I don't know why you waste £ on the party membership fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/18/labour-antisemitism-code-jeremy-corbyn
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 19 Jul 2018, 19:21

Samoan wrote:Quite. I don't know why you waste £ on the party membership fees.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/18/labour-antisemitism-code-jeremy-corbyn

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn is anti-semitic. Everything he's ever done and said screams of it, much more than all those other MPs.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, do you have any views on this?:

'One more racist law': reactions as Israel axes Arabic as official language

Oliver Holmes in Nazareth, Sufian Ahmed in Jerusalem, Hazem Balousha in Gaza City

Thu 19 Jul 2018

The passing of a law in Israel that affords exclusive rights to Jewish people and removes Arabic as an official language has rippled through the country’s Arab minority, who have decried the legislation as unabashedly racist.

“It’s one more law, one more racist law,” said Najib Hadad, 56, in Nazareth, the country’s largest northern city whose residents are predominately Arab.

“We have got to the point where we just want to work; to live. In Israel, we have good lives, we work, and we are free to speak. We have our people in the Knesset [parliament],” he said. But he added: “This law is a racist law.”

There are roughly 1.8 million Arabs in Israel, making up about a fifth of the state’s population. They are mostly Palestinians and their descendants who remained in place after the 1948 war between Arabs and Jews. Hundreds of thousands of others were displaced or fled.

Suhad Banna, an English teacher who is also from Nazareth but lives in the Mediterranean city of Tel Aviv, said the legislation made her feel like a “class B citizen”.

“The ironic thing is that Israel is calling itself a democratic state,” she said. “I have no idea how it’s a democratic state after this bill. What democratic state are they are talking about?”

EU leads criticism after Israel passes Jewish 'nation state' law
Read more
Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, has promised to ensure civil rights but says “the majority decides”.

Many Israeli Arabs complain of prejudice in their access to services and education, even as racial discrimination is illegal. The “nation-state” bill was amended this week after a previous version appeared to legalise racially segregated communities. However, another contentious clause says “the state sees the development of Jewish settlement as a national value and will act to encourage and promote its establishment and consolidation”.

Banna says Arabs in Israel are not “full citizens with equal rights”.

“I have no problem with Judaism; my problem is with the Zionism,” she said. “I am living in Tel Aviv with two roommates: one of them is a Jew, and the other one is Christian, and I am a Muslim. We are talking about it all the time.”

From Jerusalem’s Shuafat neighbourhood, a walled-off area that expanded as a Palestinian refugee camp and is now one of the most deprived districts of the city, Mahmoud Ali said Arabs have lost “what is left of our rights”.

Israel in turmoil over bill allowing Jews and Arabs to be segregated
Read more
“I am afraid with this law the Israeli will have an excuse to expel us from our land,” the 50-year-old said. “Welcome to the dark ages.

“They can do whatever they want, and nobody can stop them. Imagine if Jordan approved a law that made it an Islamic state? The whole world would turn upside down.”

Samah Ighbariah, 43, who lives between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, said everyone in the minority had previously felt like second-class citizens “but now it’s official”.

“I came from a refugee family, the rest of my family were deported to Syria in 1948, and now they are in Germany and Sweden,” he said. “They are saying we can stay under the umbrella of the Jewish state with economic rights but no language and no nation, or even culture.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... l-language
Goatboy to Belle:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 19 Jul 2018, 23:30

Selection of letters arguing both sides of the IHRA thing:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/j ... tisemitism
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 19 Jul 2018, 23:45

David Rosenberg on Twitter:

"If @margarethodge wants to call a political leader a "fucking antisemite and racist" she might be better off targetting Hungarian PM Victor Orban, currently the guest of Israeli PM Netanyahu, (who has just steered through a law deepening Israeli apartheid)."
Goatboy to Belle:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2018, 14:26

Samoan wrote:
Belle Lettre wrote:..

Quite. I don't know why you waste £ on the party membership fees.

Probably because they at least mention anti-semitism in their party code of conduct, unlike the Conservatives' :

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... tisemitism

... which doesn't mention it once.

"The Conservative party code of conduct does not expressly mention antisemitism once – let alone define it."

Interesting that.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 20 Jul 2018, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Jul 2018, 17:49

Nikki Gradual wrote:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 22 Jul 2018, 10:08

Belle Lettre wrote:http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/what-exactly-about-state-israel-do-you-support-margaret-hodge-1380017903

An excellent article.
Goatboy to Belle:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Jul 2018, 06:56

Ahed Tamimi is due to be released on Sunday.
What's the betting they find some excuse to delay It?
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 30 Jul 2018, 11:42

Ahed Tamimi, a 17-year-old Palestinian who was filmed slapping and kicking two Israeli soldiers outside her home, has been released from jail after serving an eight-month sentence.

On Sunday morning, she arrived back to her home village alongside her mother, Nariman, who was also imprisoned and had livestreamed the incident on 15 December on Facebook.

Under a deal accepted by the Israeli military court, Ahed had pleaded guilty to four charges, including assault, incitement and two counts of obstructing soldiers. The trial was held behind closed doors.

Supporters say Ahed Tamimi’s case exemplifies the brutality resulting from 50 years of occupation. The event took place shortly after she heard that Israeli troops had severely wounded her 15-year-old cousin, whom they shot in the head with a rubber bullet during a stone-throwing clash.

Her case has also focused attention on the arrest and detention of young Palestinians by Israel. Local human rights groups say more than 300 minors are currently being held.

Saleh Higazi, head of Amnesty International’s Jerusalem office, said Ahed had served an “unjust sentence based on the ridiculous premise that she posed a threat to armed and heavily protected soldiers. This is a huge relief for Ahed Tamimi’s loved ones, but their joy will be tempered by the injustice of her imprisonment and the grim knowledge that many more Palestinian children still languish in Israeli jails, many despite not having committed any recognisable crime.”

In Nabi Saleh, a village known for years of anti-occupation protests that often descend into stone throwing and the deployment of teargas, Palestinian flags had been set up on the roof of the Tamimi family home. The mother and daughter were greeted with cheers as they entered on Sunday.

“The resistance continues until the occupation is removed,” Ahed said. “All the female prisoners are steadfast. I salute everyone who supported me and my case.”

Ahed visited the grave of former Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, where she laid a wreath, kissed the headstone twice at the request of photographers, and recited a prayer from the Qur’an.

She was then taken with her family to a meeting with the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, at his headquarters in Ramallah.

Her father, Bassem, said other prisons had helped his daughter complete her high school exams in jail, and she had received scholarship offers for universities abroad.

In Israel, many have praised the restraint shown by the two soldiers and accused the Tamimis of setting up filmed provocations. Israel’s culture minister, Miri Regev, has referred to the teenager as a “terrorist”.

Israel captured and occupied the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem in the 1967 war with Jordan, Egypt and Syria. It disengaged from Gaza in 2005, but through military rule it maintains control over most of the West Bank, where the Palestinians have limited autonomy.
Goatboy to Belle: