Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 06 Jul 2018, 22:09

Go you!

Apart from learning about snarf’s excellent raise, I learned that “bailiwick” describes the jurisdiction of the (olde Englishe) bailiff. I knew the basic meaning of the word but not the origin. Which makes perfect sense, of course.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Jul 2018, 09:56

LeBaron wrote:Go you!

Apart from learning about snarf’s excellent raise, I learned that “bailiwick” describes the jurisdiction of the (olde Englishe) bailiff. I knew the basic meaning of the word but not the origin. Which makes perfect sense, of course.

Guersney ( Channel Island off Brittany) is still a Bailiwick I believe.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Jul 2018, 12:59

The recently deceased Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spiderman, and an artist I respected, although did not admire, was an Objectivist.
So fuck him, then.
Last edited by Rayge on 07 Jul 2018, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

joklend

Postby joklend » 07 Jul 2018, 14:46

Each individual cat has a unique print on its nose.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jul 2018, 12:17

I learned that when US control of Okinawa was handed back to Japan they changed the driving rules from left hand drive to right.
Question authority.

`

Postby ` » 11 Jul 2018, 09:06

Spending on public school (i.e. private) education in the UK is approximately £9,000,000,000 a year.

How many problems would that sort out?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Jul 2018, 09:40

You have got to get hip to Catlain Johnstone. Called the new George Carlin, she's been on a roll lately and well, dig this.

Reality

Once a little boy told his mum that he reckoned there shouldn’t be any more wars, and that people ought to take care of each other and make sure everyone gets enough to eat. She smiled, patted his head and told him he was a sweet child.

The boy stopped sharing his idea as he got older, because it made bigger kids scoff and ridicule him. He learned about economics and foreign policy, and how war is often necessary to stop bad guys from doing bad things. He took on this new understanding so that he wouldn’t be made fun of anymore. Sometimes as a grown-up he’d think back on the juvenile thoughts he used to share with his mum, and he’d chuckle at how innocent and naive he was.

Then the boy got even older, and he learned that that perspective was naive as well. Actually it’s all a pack of lies, he discovered, and the politicians and pundits are deceiving everyone about what’s going on in the world for the benefit of a few wealthy ecocidal warmongers. He came to understand that everything is fake and everyone is corrupt, and he spent his remaining days scoffing at people and smugly knowing better than those who believed what the TV told them.

On his deathbed his mind did strange things as his body failed. One day, after spending an entire weekend in a non-responsive state, the boy sat bolt upright and startled his children and grandchildren who were gathered at his bedside, screaming, “Fuck! I got it right the first time!”

We are inseparable from the world we live in. This is self-evident in the breathing of air, the eating of food and the drinking of water. Ninety percent of the cells in the human body are bacteria, upon whose ecosystems the health of the entire physiological system depends. Science tells us that what we take to be separate objects are actually relatively loose clusters of tiny moving particles with no clearly defined boundary line, and when you reduce those particles to their smallest possible components it becomes difficult to say exactly what they even are or to what extent they even exist. The cells in our own bodies are constantly being replaced with proteins, minerals and other nutrients we extract from other organisms, to such an extent that it’s difficult to claim with any authority that you’re the same creature that came out of your mother’s womb.

And yet we think of ourselves as separate. We think if we destroy the planet we live on, if we destroy the ecosystemic context in which we evolved and into which we are inseparably woven, it’s no big deal because we can just become a space-faring species like in science fiction books. This despite the fact that our only ventures into space thus far have been glorified scuba diving excursions, with all resources imported from a planet with a fully functioning ecosystem. The difference between living in space independently of Planet Earth and visiting space with imported supplies is the difference between flying and jumping. We only think we’re remotely close to the former because we erroneously view ourselves as separate from the ecosystemic context which birthed us.

A human being is a swirling eddy in a flowing stream, with a mental soundtrack playing in the background saying “This stream and I, we are separate things.” Mental noises are imbued with the power of belief which describe a separate self in a separable world, despite the complete absence of any such thing that can be observed by science or by direct experience.

In direct experience there are thoughts, there are feelings and there are sensory impressions, but in none of them can a hard, tangible thing be found that can be accurately labeled “me”, no matter how hard you look. The closest you can get is to tell a story about a particular person with a particular name and a particular history, who inhabits a particular body, and then labeling that cluster of stories “me”. But that’s all they are. They’re stories.

Mental story is the only realm in which separation exists. It’s the only realm in which it makes sense to give all the stuff to Joe because Joe figured out how to make a talking dongle widget that works a bit faster than the other ones. It’s the only realm in which it makes sense to drop explosives on a group of human organisms because they are standing on the wrong clump of dirt. Without narratives about separate organisms who need to protect their interests from other separate organisms, fear and greed lose their foothold, and thus can’t be used to manipulate people toward certain agendas. The only thing that makes sense is peace and harmony.

This is what human awakening looks like. And, in my opinion, it is where we are headed. The simple, obvious truth you saw as a child was reality. You had it right the first time.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/reality-72d5e0d136a0
Question authority.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Jul 2018, 09:47

Jimbo wrote:You have got to get hip to Catlain Johnstone. Called the new George Carlin, she's been on a roll lately and well, dig this.

Here's something yo don't read every day:
Great link, jimbo, I agree with every word
Do you not see the dissonance, though, between your embrace/approval of these ideas and your pursuit of an ultimate 'truth'/'reality'?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Jul 2018, 09:50

Rayge wrote:
Jimbo wrote:You have got to get hip to Catlain Johnstone. Called the new George Carlin, she's been on a roll lately and well, dig this.

Here's something yo don't read every day:
Great link, jimbo, I agree with every word
Do you not see the dissonance, though, between your embrace/approval of these ideas and your pursuit of an ultimate 'truth'/'reality'?

I do. I'm the guy in the pre-deathbed phase, cynical and sick of it all and I'm tellin' everyone!
Question authority.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Jul 2018, 13:32

From the fantastic Adventurers of Modern Art series that I recommend in Now watching on TV in Screenadelica - I had no idea that Picasso and Apollinaire were arrested and prime suspects in the the theft of the Mona Lisa.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Jul 2018, 15:33

Black and white is always grey.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 13 Jul 2018, 15:57

Well, last night actually - watching the excellent Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War. In the aftermath of Fredericksburg, the Northern Lights appeared.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 13 Jul 2018, 22:20

John Cleese voted Leave in the United Kingdom European Union membership referendum.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 15 Jul 2018, 13:47

I learned today that Japanese people aren't as law-abiding as I had thought.

In the self-service bicycle parking lot where I park my bike for work there are these racks with tire-sized grooves in which you place then roll your wheels to the end where a clamp will lock your front wheel in until you pay the fee to unclamp it. While I was there about to leave a city worker walked along the rack nudging each bike a bit making sure it was clamped. I must have heard at least six clicks where riders had parked setting the wheel just an inch away from the clamp. They thought they could look like they were all the way in the clamp but weren't. The city was hip to these freeloaders. I know this also because I once tried it but came back to my bike fully locked in.
Question authority.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 23 Jul 2018, 09:01

Found out that a guy that stayed around the corner from me, is now a Special Effects expert in the movies. With a speciality for dead bodies. He's worked on Dr Who, Red Dwarf, and various tv shows as well as movies like Wonder Woman, Justice League. Proper name in the credits stuff. I had no idea.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2018, 19:55

This Moorcroft Modernity clock (from their Mackintosh collection) costs £150. Should I buy it?

Beautiful, isn't it?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Jul 2018, 21:14

It looks like a futuristic condom.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2018, 21:34

...To a Canadian....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Jul 2018, 15:03

Time will tell
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Jul 2018, 15:42

Diamond Dog wrote:...To a Canadian....

I have a work-related bias against Moorcroft, so consider my take to be "politely Canadian". ;)
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Nextdoorland”