Hats Off To (Roy)Harper

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: Hats Off To (Roy)Harper

Postby Quaco » 11 Jul 2018, 06:57

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:I am still awaiting a vinyl reissue of Valentine. I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it is the most accessible.

Valentine is my favourite. I hunted down a vinyl copy about 20 years ago after reading Jim O'Rourke explain why it's one of his favourite albums.

I also own Lifemask and Stormcock but find them a bit grandiose and laboured in comparison to Valentine. Most of his albums have at least one OTT epic on them but I prefer his quieter, more measured songs like 'I'll See You Again' and the earlier 'Another Day'. Man or Myth is great, must give it a spin.

The thing about the OTT labored epics is I can't think of anybody who does anything like it. There's a long Al Stewart song or two, a couple long Pentangle and Fairport songs ... um, if A Passion Play had been all-acoustic ... it seems like this thing that only Harper really dared to do. And he repeated the trick again and again. Maybe I'm missing somebody.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 11 Jul 2018, 09:24

I will grant you that Lifemask can be quite hard going (if you are not in the mood) with regard to The Lord's Prayer, which is his most epic song. However Stormcock is a masterpiece, and those 4 songs showcase his unique talent at his peak. 'The Same Old Rock' and 'My And My Woman' are lyrical and musical masterworks. They don't seem lengthy or laboured at all to me. So much going on in each section of these songs. Thye never fail to captivate me and every time i listen to Stormcock, i am transported to a wonderful place. 'Valentine' is a nice album and it does contain one of the greatest songs ever written, Twelve Hours Of Sunset. His discography is up and down but never less than interesting. McGoohan's Blues from Folkjokeopus is a remarkable piece too. I do hope he manages one more album as Man And Myth was very strong. The last couple of years must have taken a big toll on his health.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Jul 2018, 15:35

Quaco wrote:
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
Phenomenal Cat wrote:I am still awaiting a vinyl reissue of Valentine. I'm not sure if it's my favorite, but it is the most accessible.

Valentine is my favourite. I hunted down a vinyl copy about 20 years ago after reading Jim O'Rourke explain why it's one of his favourite albums.

I also own Lifemask and Stormcock but find them a bit grandiose and laboured in comparison to Valentine. Most of his albums have at least one OTT epic on them but I prefer his quieter, more measured songs like 'I'll See You Again' and the earlier 'Another Day'. Man or Myth is great, must give it a spin.

The thing about the OTT labored epics is I can't think of anybody who does anything like it. There's a long Al Stewart song or two, a couple long Pentangle and Fairport songs ... um, if A Passion Play had been all-acoustic ... it seems like this thing that only Harper really dared to do. And he repeated the trick again and again. Maybe I'm missing somebody.

The only person similar that I can think of is John Martyn - things like Outside In and Solid Air got stretched out live - and he had the acoustic plugged into effects thing going - but very different in style of course, more jazz and nothing like the lyrical complexity.