crappy big hits from across the decades

Do talk back

choose one

I'm Into Something Good
6
23%
Forever and Ever
5
19%
True
6
23%
Bitter Sweet Symphony
9
35%
 
Total votes: 26

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43028
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby LeBaron » 09 Jul 2018, 17:13

fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:
fange wrote: Sure, Ashcroft was a dick;

I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.

With that said, and though I like the first Verve material (before “The Verve”, Ashcroft’s self regard pretty obviously outstripped his actual talents by some distance.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12961
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2018, 17:17

I can't seem to find the thread we had about the early Verve releases; the search function really doesn't work very well. :(
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
DRUGS SNAKE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19200
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 09 Jul 2018, 17:34

oh WHAT A SHAME
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:I have no idea what this thread is trying to achieve.

User avatar
DRUGS SNAKE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19200
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby DRUGS SNAKE » 09 Jul 2018, 17:34

anyone care to post that wonderful footage of Ashcroft at HMV with that fella bellowing along?
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:I have no idea what this thread is trying to achieve.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38510
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jul 2018, 17:45

LeBaron wrote:When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


:D

Baron for Ambassador!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1507
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Hightea » 09 Jul 2018, 17:55

LeBaron wrote:
fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


thanks this about sums up a few UK artists who us over on the other side of the pond don't get the gripe. But we could throw back a few American artists which work the same way.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63516
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2018, 18:03

Count Machuki wrote:
LeBaron wrote:When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.


:D

Baron for Ambassador!


And he has a live-in translator.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43028
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby LeBaron » 09 Jul 2018, 18:59

I’m pretty close to fluent, thanks!
Rhyming slang is a weak point, I admit.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63516
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2018, 19:12

LeBaron wrote:I’m pretty close to fluent, thanks!
Rhyming slang is a weak point, I admit.


There's your scouse slang too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6180
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Lord Rother » 09 Jul 2018, 20:26

More respect for The Verve from me.

Great single from a thoroughly decent album and a video that grabs the attention and was rather fresh at the time.

Positive Passion
Posts: 732
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Positive Passion » 09 Jul 2018, 20:57

I haven't read all the thread, but True is really good. Bitter sweet symphony is pretty good too.

User avatar
Georgios
Posts: 678
Joined: 17 Mar 2014, 19:05

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Georgios » 09 Jul 2018, 21:53

Ashcroft strikes me as somebody who had a really bad experience with hard drugs but they've somehow managed to convince themselves that it was a profound, almost spiritual experience. His interviews are always a hoot, if only for the incredibly earnest self delusion on display.


..Bitter Sweet Symphony is shit as well

User avatar
bobzilla77
Posts: 15919
Joined: 23 Jun 2006, 02:56
Location: Dilute! Dilute! OK!

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Jul 2018, 22:26

Uh, abstain... too close to call.

Both True and BS have that quality of like, I bet a lot of teenage virgins get deep meaning from them. I imagine a girl next door type, wearing an hat, sitting in the back row of the school bus with her walkman headphones on, looking meaningfully out the window, raindrops streaking the window like the tears streaming down her face...

Herman wants to be told he's a good boy for washing behind his ears.

I don't know the Greek one. It might be good.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53029
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Jul 2018, 22:38

"I'm Into Something Good" is a great Goffin/King song that's tarred by association with Peter Noone.

It's not the song's fault that every right-thinking person has wanted to punch him in the face from time to time.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27470
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Jul 2018, 23:07

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:I honestly don't get the aggressive hatred that people around here have for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'. Sure, Ashcroft was a dick; but the song itself is a catchy bit of late-90s pop/rock that was WAY too overplayed but hardly excremental.

It has exactly ONE hook - a stolen one at that - and it's really only a hook because it's driven into the ground, to the point where I for one thought it was "WAY too overplayed" after the first time. Is the singer saying anything worth saying? Not that I can tell. Did you guys who liked it at the time think it was profound or moving or something?


Not only is this pretty much the way I feel, I'm not used to Charlie being this snarky! I think I like it! :D
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46918
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Quaco » 10 Jul 2018, 01:07

ORORORO wrote:The more recent, the more I like it. I mean, Richard Ashcroft is nothing at all but a pair of shades, and his stinking band didn't deserve any kind of success, but there's something groovy going on in that thing.

'True' is OK, might even be good, but the icky sax solo and the stuffed shirt Hadley take it down a few notches.

Demis is fine - where's Quaco?

and the HH effort is just ridiculous, childish chipmunk pop.

Good rundown. The Hermits tune is fantastic -- I've always loved it. It was one of those tunes I'd hear on the radio and wish I could track down, but I never seemed to come across any HH records.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46918
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Quaco » 10 Jul 2018, 01:19

LeBaron wrote:
fange wrote:
Hightea wrote:I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.


When it comes to the Rock Star Class of Britain’s Most Arrogant Cretins, sorting out the behavior warranting national hero status from that which merits universal condemnation is a tricky endeavor for the non-native.

:D Great stuff Baron!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -