True
23%
Bitter Sweet Symphony
35%

Total votes: 26

Hightea

Re: crappy big hits from across the decades

Postby Hightea » 09 Jul 2018, 02:40

1 and 3 okay nothing to pick on or rave about.
Never heard 2 and wish it stayed that way.
4. Overplayed but still love it. Although it is one of the weaker tracks from the album.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2018, 03:42

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:I honestly don't get the aggressive hatred that people around here have for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'. Sure, Ashcroft was a dick; but the song itself is a catchy bit of late-90s pop/rock that was WAY too overplayed but hardly excremental.

It has exactly ONE hook - a stolen one at that - and it's really only a hook because it's driven into the ground, to the point where I for one thought it was "WAY too overplayed" after the first time. Is the singer saying anything worth saying? Not that I can tell. Did you guys who liked it at the time think it was profound or moving or something?

But a lot of songs have just one hook or riff, sampled or otherwise. And since when do 95% of pop-rock lyrics have anything meaningful to say anyway?

As mentioned i've always found it one of their weakest tracks, but even at the time i thought it was a catchy enough tune, and it obviously clicked with enough people to be a smash. I guess it did move people - it's easy enough to sing along to, the lyrics are kind of quasi-searching and general enough for people to relate to themselves in some way, and it has a nice flow.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Jul 2018, 05:10

1. Inoffensive lightweight sixties fluff. I don't mind it but I wouldn't seek it out
2. Demis Roussos is great when he's with Vangelis including the mid-70's and 80's collaborations. Without him he's completely horrible as this track testifies
3. Wretched.
4. I like it. I don't know why it's so hated. My favourite of the 4 by a distance.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2018, 07:50

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:I honestly don't get the aggressive hatred that people around here have for 'Bitter Sweet Symphony'. Sure, Ashcroft was a dick; but the song itself is a catchy bit of late-90s pop/rock that was WAY too overplayed but hardly excremental.

It has exactly ONE hook - a stolen one at that - and it's really only a hook because it's driven into the ground, to the point where I for one thought it was "WAY too overplayed" after the first time. Is the singer saying anything worth saying? Not that I can tell. Did you guys who liked it at the time think it was profound or moving or something?

Yeah a little bit, it was something I could get swept up in. I liked its attitude, a sort of 'me against the world' thing. It had a hip hop appeal about it in many ways - the attitude of the singer, the repetitive sample, the locked in groove -- even though it obviously wasn't.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Jul 2018, 08:46

1 Uninspired retread of a great Goffin-King tune by a toothy wanker with no obvious talent. Along with Freddie and the Dreamers, the uttermost pits of the pop guitar scene in the 1960s. Worse even than the Barron Knights
2 Fat Bubble in a dress. Not a bad tune, probably second least worst here
3 Gooners in skirts. Let's heat up the tar and break out the pitchforks, lads. COYS
4 As everyone else has said, it's about the sample and the sound, and it was all right at the time, compared to Britpop. Of course Ashcroft is a dick, but it's the least worst here
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Jul 2018, 09:08

Never could stand The Verve, the worst thing to come from Wigan since Georgie Fame. But it's the best track here by a distance.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Jul 2018, 10:55

Ah, I know the Verve track is objectively the best here and I *did* buy the bloody thing at the time. But I fancied another rant at band that discarded the good parts of the Stone Roses and replaced them with Pink Floyd. With a side order of planet sized hubris.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Jul 2018, 11:13

1. It's pleasant, As bubblegum goes it's not too sweet and overpowering but not exactly kicking the bins around.

2. Demis' solo-stuff was often very saccharine, this with his wheezing tenor shifting through the gears just grinds my nut. I don't hate his voice (his appearance on the Blade Runner-soundtrack was very good), in moderation it is quite tolerable.

3. I hate that song.

4. A Storm In Heaven is such a great album and everything that came afterwards was pretty but not great. I like it but, as mentioned before, it is the least of their hits for me.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jul 2018, 11:16

Darkness_Fish wrote:Never could stand The Verve, the worst thing to come from Wigan since Georgie Fame. But it's the best track here by a distance.

Georgie Fame was great!

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 09 Jul 2018, 12:27

ORORORO wrote:
and the HH effort is just ridiculous, childish chipmunk pop.

Probably why I like it so much! I was 12 when it was released and it came over on the radio (Caroline, probably) as a magic piece of pop. I had no idea then that it wasn't an original song so it was my starter version and I loved it - still do.

Not much of a Demis fan but he doesn't fill me with the need to slag him off either. At some point in the 80s, my wife brought me an Arabic men's garment back from Saudi - something like a full length kaftan. Being a, ahem, man of some weight, I would wear it and perform DR impersonations although I couldn't hit the high notes. My how we all laughed :roll: .....

I've never enjoyed the Verve.

I like True - even with its faults that others have pointed out. I committed a BCB sin last month and treated myself to a Spandau 'best of' but I have only played it once.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Jul 2018, 13:11

True does have that great guitar/vocal hook but the rest is lumpy and mood ruining. Hadley is awful too. The songs needs somebody with the class and savoir faire of a Ferry and instead you get somebody who sounds like they should be working in Curry's. Terrible.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jul 2018, 13:40

They are like the Panamanian back four. All shit and collectively even worse.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jul 2018, 15:08

Bent Fabric wrote:
But...God, the Verve were an absolute fucking hoax if ever there was one.

Now hang on a minute, here...I wouldn't be without the first Verve ep and Storm in Heaven

Verve Mark I makes Verve Mark II all the worse, I guess, but they built up a lot of goodwill with me at the beginning.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Jul 2018, 15:13

Right on, Count!
Someone bump the thread!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Jul 2018, 15:13

fange wrote: Sure, Ashcroft was a dick;

I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jul 2018, 15:24

I don't mind the Hermits or the Spandau Balet songs at all. That little staccato guitar part (while the guy sings "ha ha ha ha ha" on "True" is lovely.

Don't know the other two at all.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jul 2018, 15:55

zoomboogity wrote:Herman's Hermits, one of those "peaked too soon" bands. I mean, after I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am, where do you go from there?

Edward the SIxth?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2018, 16:19

Count Machuki wrote:Now hang on a minute, here...I wouldn't be without the first Verve ep and Storm in Heaven

Verve Mark I makes Verve Mark II all the worse, I guess, but they built up a lot of goodwill with me at the beginning.

LeBaron wrote:Right on, Count!
Someone bump the thread!

About time you fellas showed up, I thought I was gonna be Fangeson Crusoe on this one!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jul 2018, 16:29

Hightea wrote:
fange wrote: Sure, Ashcroft was a dick;

I don't know why people think this? is there a story I'm unaware of?

He had a long track record, especially during the band's peak years, of being a bit of a bigmouth with an over-inflated ego, perhaps exacerbated by his "substance" issues and the effects of the group's success.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2018, 17:04

Bent Fabric wrote:I really like "True" a lot.

But...God, the Verve were an absolute fucking hoax if ever there was one.

I like Something Good, True, and the Verve, but you're right. They always rate that album pretty highly. I bought it - huge mistake.

The other one I don't know.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”