Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Samoan

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Samoan » 26 Jun 2018, 23:31

Mortimer and Whitehouse : Gone Fishing was a delight and joy to watch last week on BBC2. It's a 6 part series. I saw that other viewers have likened it to Detectorists in real life and time and that's exactly what struck me within the first 10 minutes with the elusive, hidden, sought-after being a tench, any tench, in Norfolk.
Inevitably they do both touch on their recent health and then swiftly move on into their comedic genius(plural) modes, gently riffing off each other.
You don't even have to have any interest in fishing whatsoever, it's such an affecting programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b7r2k6

The 6th and final episode in which the Pike eluded them but it didn't really matter.

Last edited by Samoan on 27 Jul 2018, 11:20, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 30 Jun 2018, 21:24

Just started watched the first of the Wallander films from Sweden (not the Anglophone Kenneth Branagh nonsense). First one lacked the depth of Mankell's books, but gained from strong performances.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 02 Jul 2018, 00:18

the masked man wrote:Just started watched the first of the Wallander films from Sweden (not the Anglophone Kenneth Branagh nonsense). First one lacked the depth of Mankell's books, but gained from strong performances.

They're all a bit slow, to be honest, but 100% better than the Branagh series. Seem a bit tame now considering the wealth of Scandanavian drama. Wallander was good, but it's not exactly the Bridge.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 03 Jul 2018, 10:23

The second episode of the amiable, gentle and low-key Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Jul 2018, 15:07

gash on ignore wrote:The second episode of the amiable, gentle and low-key Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing.

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Jul 2018, 18:17

ORORORO wrote:
gash on ignore wrote:The second episode of the amiable, gentle and low-key Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing.

:x
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Jul 2018, 18:20

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jul 2018, 16:06

Fargo, Season 2

Kirsten Dunst is terrific, as is the actor who plays opposite her. In fact, the cast as a whole is tremendous, and the characters and dialogue are vivid and engaging. Quality stuff.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 07 Jul 2018, 08:21

Yeah, agreed.

What about this dude?

isn't he fabulous?

I think I was most impressed by Ted Danson, somehow. He really just sort of amiably mumbles throughout - but he's totally convincing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Jul 2018, 16:36

^^^ I really should learn some of these people's names. Yeah, that guy is just preposterously charismatic.

Danson doesn't have much range as an actor, but that thing he does, he does well.

I'm told season 3, which somehow has David Thewlis as the villain (or a villain), is even better. Looking forward.
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 07 Jul 2018, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 07 Jul 2018, 17:38

Season 3 is the weakest, but the acting ensemble is possibly the best; Thewlis is great.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Jul 2018, 18:15

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Jul 2018, 17:40

This show never appealed to me back when it was on TV, but I’ve almost finished the second season, and what an excellent season it has been thus far. I’m really digging this series.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Jul 2018, 18:50

Never watched it until now, but I'm on the second season of House of Cards. It's soap opera and Shakespeare at the same time.

Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright sure play depraved individuals. Last night, I watched them ply their secret service bodyguard with alcohol and seduce him into a threesome.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 Jul 2018, 18:46

joels344 wrote:Image

This show never appealed to me back when it was on TV, but I’ve almost finished the second season, and what an excellent season it has been thus far. I’m really digging this series.

Always makes me want a single malt and a cigarette , mrs Jimboo adored it. It does have some great characters.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

joels344

Postby joels344 » 10 Jul 2018, 21:18

jimboo wrote:
joels344 wrote:Image

Always makes me want a single malt and a cigarette , mrs Jimboo adored it. It does have some great characters.

I just don’t know where the show goes from here. You know, after Jimmy dies. I’m glad they took a risk like that but I really loved his character.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Jul 2018, 21:44

This is interesting. Not sure how long I'm going to hang with it; the male lead can't act & is fairly un-charismatic, kind of like an even-worse Vin Diesel. But Ian McShane is fun to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing Crispin Glover.

Only one episode in, perhaps it'll grow on me.

(And not for nothing, but in previews, the rest of Starz's original programming looks unbelievably dismal and even kind of tars this show by association.)

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Jul 2018, 11:28

I'm still bingeing on older shows I find cheap in thrift stores... after Sons of Anarchy (where I jumped ship halfway through Season 6) and Mad Men (which was brilliant until the very last scene), I've watched the complete "Big C":

Laura Linney is simply spectacular, the rest of the cast sort of limps along, but I really enjoyed it thoroughly.

Now I just finished Season 1 of Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom:

It was alright, in spite of the soap element (the romantic tangles of the staff) getting a bit boring and the political debate (the Tea Party, wonderfully dissected in the last episode by Jeff Daniels/Will Macavoy) seeming horribly dated in these days of Trumpitudes and Fake News. I like the cast (especially Jeff Daniels, Emily Mortimer, Sam Waterston and Jane Fonda!), so I will give Season 2 a go.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

`

Postby ` » 12 Jul 2018, 12:58

ORORORO wrote:

Tried with this and gave up - just too derivative and not funny encough for my tastes

Sort of poor man's The Trip with a bit of Detectorists-style whimsy chucked in.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Jul 2018, 16:25

Last night's was pretty weak. Not sure I'll bother again.

Return to “Screenadelica”