Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 May 2018, 16:28

I went watching some industrial rock band called 3Teeth last Friday night in Manchester. Free ticket, from a mate I've not seen in a while, and he hadn't heard of the band, either. Reminded me of a more metal-oriented 90s Killing Joke, with too little emphasis on the electronics, and a singer who looks like a techno-punk version of the bloke on the side of Pringles tubes:

Tiny, tiny, bar, which makes you wonder why they bother coming all the way from the yooessay, and a fairly short set, too. Missed the support act, which was probably a good thing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 20 Jun 2018, 09:47

Anna Calvi at Heaven last night
To me, by far the best guitarist of the last 20-30 years. She's played a couple of gigs now to preview her new album after a five-year absence, and the new material sounds awesome. She may be sporadic in releasing albums, but she has the best quality control of anyone in the business - her three albums and EP are all pretty perfect in my opinion. She's moving in a new direction - completely upfront about gender diversity and about making a statement in her music and her broader (social) media presence, whereas before her music and persona was much more shrouded in innuendo and silence. And you can for sure tell that she's getting a new crowd at her gigs now. And actually that's my only qualm about last night - I still find that her crowd mainly just stand back and look at her in a mixture of respectful awe and disbelief, rather than joining in what could be a pretty raucous affair (her new material definitely lets loose much more). I found that five years ago when I saw her last and I found it again last night. But that doesn't detract from what is a very singular performer, songwriter, singer and guitarist. The night was finished off with several whiskeys with my friend and I arguing whether she can be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix. In my opinion, she can - and I'm right on this one.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jun 2018, 03:10

Gorillaz

My most positive comment was that "Damon has the perfect voice." My wife agrees and says it's like listening to a conversation. But he is so laid back - which I like, actually, no phony histrionics - but in one song which had this crescendo, Damon squatted a bit at the bottom and slowly rose as the the crescendo rose and then at the very top when the music was most exciting he rubbed some sleep from his eye.

Anyway, in the first half, promoting their new album Damon and crew went and played the whole thing start to finish live. All was performed before a movie screen, the cartoon images perfectly synched up with the live performance. If the song dragged I could watch the cartoon. And the material was pretty good especially one psychedelic Beatles-y song which blew my mind. Lyrically, the theme was LA where I guess Damon lives now. The second half is where he let his crew and friends take the spotlight. Among the mostly "old school-y" rap performers were De La Soul. Meh. I'm not an fan of being ordered by artists to clap or jump.

What this mostly is is a big production with a five woman chorus, two drummers, guitar, bass and keyboards - and then the big video component, and IMO it adds up to not much. But Damon does have a great voice!
Question authority.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 23 Jun 2018, 12:16

Went to see BCB favourites Foo Fighters at the Olympic Stadium yesterday. I enjoyed it...
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Qube

Postby Qube » 26 Jun 2018, 00:10

Geezee wrote:Anna Calvi at Heaven last night
To me, by far the best guitarist of the last 20-30 years. She's played a couple of gigs now to preview her new album after a five-year absence, and the new material sounds awesome. She may be sporadic in releasing albums, but she has the best quality control of anyone in the business - her three albums and EP are all pretty perfect in my opinion. She's moving in a new direction - completely upfront about gender diversity and about making a statement in her music and her broader (social) media presence, whereas before her music and persona was much more shrouded in innuendo and silence. And you can for sure tell that she's getting a new crowd at her gigs now. And actually that's my only qualm about last night - I still find that her crowd mainly just stand back and look at her in a mixture of respectful awe and disbelief, rather than joining in what could be a pretty raucous affair (her new material definitely lets loose much more). I found that five years ago when I saw her last and I found it again last night. But that doesn't detract from what is a very singular performer, songwriter, singer and guitarist. The night was finished off with several whiskeys with my friend and I arguing whether she can be mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix. In my opinion, she can - and I'm right on this one.

Good to hear the new stuff sounds excellent too, hopefully she comes back to New York soon.

I knew she'd be a star when I saw her at the Water Rats in 2009!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 26 Jun 2018, 02:02

Saw Föllakzoid the other night. They were very interesting. The support, a favourite local band of mine, Grinding Eyes, were as always, very good.
king of the divan

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 26 Jun 2018, 15:11

Qube wrote:
Good to hear the new stuff sounds excellent too, hopefully she comes back to New York soon.

Not aware of Calvi I checked my iTunes library and I have two of her cuts - both from your "Q" compilations! Listening now. Sounds great, kinda Jeff Buckley-ish. Thanks!
Question authority.

Qube

Postby Qube » 27 Jun 2018, 20:55

mentalist (slight return) wrote:Saw Föllakzoid the other night. They were very interesting. The support, a favourite local band of mine, Grinding Eyes, were as always, very good.

Love Follakzoid though it's a shame the bassist/singer is no longer in the band, seems to cut out some things they can do live, will be interesting to see what any new material is like.

Jimbo wrote:
Qube wrote:

Not aware of Calvi I checked my iTunes library and I have two of her cuts - both from your "Q" compilations! Listening now. Sounds great, kinda Jeff Buckley-ish. Thanks!

You're welcome :D

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Jun 2018, 07:54

Qube wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:Saw Föllakzoid the other night. They were very interesting. The support, a favourite local band of mine, Grinding Eyes, were as always, very good.

Love Follakzoid though it's a shame the bassist/singer is no longer in the band, seems to cut out some things they can do live, will be interesting to see what any new material is like.

You're welcome :D

Ahh this would explain why pictures of the band had 4 members and yet there were only 3! They were missing something, some type of tension or release in the music. Maybe it was lack of the other band member or maybe it was just their thang. Great drummer mind.
king of the divan

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 28 Jun 2018, 19:52

The band I play in has a gig at the Golden Lion, Royal College Street, Camden on 15thJuly if you want to see some great guitar playing and weak singing.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Jul 2018, 03:11

I went with my wife and two dear old friends to see Neil Young play solo last night at the beautiful Auditorium Theater here in Chicago.

It was her first and my fifth Neil Young concert. I sprung for the mid-priced tickets which, while not incredibly cheap, were absolutely lovely seats (great audio/visual vantage point).

THIS guy opened the show with a very strong and lively set of solo acoustic blues.

Neil? He's Neil. Every time I see him, he's really able to dig into any number of unexpected corners of his enormous back catalog, and...once again, moving from one instrument to another (several different acoustics, banjo, electric guitar, pump organ, three different pianos) while playing harmonica. He's beginning to show his age in a number of ways (I think this is probably far more apparent solo than it is with the Horse)...I think because he'd KEPT "not apparently aging in his performance" for so many years and decades, I might have been caught off guard by it a little (maybe a little bittersweet).

It must be said (and I don't know if this follows him around the world) that there is a real always-there "low couth contingency" whenever he does these types of gigs where people are able to "shout inane things at their hero from the 50th row". The disconnect between art/artist and fan is enormous - I'm sure these yahoos love him every bit as much as I do, but...I suppose I wish they could love it in some not-obnoxious way.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Jul 2018, 13:42

QOTSA and Friends, Finsbury Park
I live next to Finsbury Park, so it was a lot of fun to just walk down to a festival, and even better walk home afterwards. Saw Skinny Girl Diet, Hinds, Deap Vally, Hives (from the enormous queue to the bars), Run the Jewels, Iggy Pop and QOTSA. Hinds are a glorious little band, lots of fun to watch. Deap Vally and Skinny Girl Diet are female twosomes who are at the opposite ends of the spectrum - the former pretty slick and glam, the latter very DIY and scratchy. I had no idea Hives are still in the business - and it sounds like they haven't changed in the slightest - god knows what they were doing on this bill.

Iggy - well, it was great to see him again, and a lot of fun to see some of the best of his solo material live, although by far and away the highlight was a great version of TV Eye. Definitely not as vicious as the Stooges show I saw back in 2004, but there's plenty of life in the old (i wanna be a) dog yet. He pulled out Repo Man which I was particularly pleased about, was really not expecting that.

And queens of the stone age are great at what they do. I do wonder if Josh Homme is beginning to feel it a bit - occasionally he looked a bit lost - but still put on a great show. The final trio of Little Sister and Songs for the Deaf and Dead was particularly impressive. As an aside, someone who I went with mentioned she thought Josh Homme looks like Donald Trump - it took me a while to see it, but once I did, I can't get rid of the image. She may have forever spoiled any enjoyment I get from his band!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Jul 2018, 04:30

last few months
Dweezel Zappa - nice show of Frank Zappa thruout his career. Really good setlist and great musicians but we had a hard time really getting into it because we saw Frank several times with the original musicians who played many of these songs and it some how ruined it for me.

Florence & the Machine - NIce to see Florence in a medium sized venue and up close. Florence continues to impress me live. She is full of energy and dances and sings all over the stage and into the audience. I even got my head rubbed by Florence and she looked into my eyes (killer). While she isn't BCBer's cup of tea she impresses me.

Richard Ashcroft - just love Richard live, it was nice to see him just with an acoustic guitar playing a mix of his solo stuff and plenty of classic Verve songs.

Courtney Barnett - Been a fan since seeing her at CMJ festival with about 30 people. This was a new album release show so she played the entire new album plus a few other songs. She still has the energy and love the guitar feedback jams she does live and you don't hear it as much on the albums.

Clearwater Festival - caught one day of the festival that I've gone to a few times since 84. It's the oldest ongoing festival in America going back to 66 when it was founded by Pete Seeger. Always fully of folk rock type acts. This year we caught Langhorn Slim, Beth Orton and Ani DiFranco. All three were wonderful

Lastly caught u2 last friday
u2's tour was about their new album and their youth. Bono told a bunch of stories of seeing violence as a boy. The setlist was heavy new album but they played Acrobat which was my favorite song of the night.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 04 Jul 2018, 08:44

Nice pics Hightea.

Saw Eels last night in Manchester.
Freakin’ A
or should that be
Freakin’ E
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 04 Jul 2018, 09:50

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Nice pics Hightea.

Freakin’ A
or should that be
Freakin’ E

they are in Glasgow tonight, can't manage to go. first time I've missed them on Tour in nearly 15 years.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 04 Jul 2018, 09:58

Jeemo wrote:

Freakin’ A
or should that be
Freakin’ E

they are in Glasgow tonight, can't manage to go. first time I've missed them on Tour in nearly 15 years.

:(
Give a shit or be a shit.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Jul 2018, 10:22

Hightea wrote: I even got my head rubbed by Florence and she looked into my eyes (killer).

oh god i've seen her do that on tv and makes me cringe so much - she seems to think she's some kind of shaman. but yeah I'm sure it's pretty cool. :)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 04 Jul 2018, 11:48

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
Jeemo wrote:

Freakin’ A
or should that be
Freakin’ E

:(

it's a motherfucker
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Jul 2018, 23:36

This past Friday I saw the Japanese band Tricot. They were amazing, combing kind of a Slint-ish post-rock groove with a '79 British post-punk aesthetic with short clipped guitar riffs, breakneck tempos and crazy time signature changes. Go see them if they're coming to your town.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Jul 2018, 21:11

Geezee wrote:
Hightea wrote: I even got my head rubbed by Florence and she looked into my eyes (killer).

oh god i've seen her do that on tv and makes me cringe so much - she seems to think she's some kind of shaman. but yeah I'm sure it's pretty cool. :)

yeah I thought it would be creepy or strange but it was pretty cool. :D

Return to “Yakety Yak”