Do You Ever Get Tired Of Being a Miserable Bastard?

Do talk back
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Do You Ever Get Tired Of Being a Miserable Bastard?

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Jul 2018, 22:10

sloopjohnc wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I work at a music company. I often despair at the fact that (for instance) even people my age here have no fucking clue who Gene Clark is.

I just got an e-mail from my boss (who I like a lot, and who is my age or older) asking us to try to figure out what is "the summer song of 2018." God, it's taking all my strength to not answer "who cares?" or "Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly. In instances like this I figure it's best to just keep quiet.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/summer-songs

My vote would be Drake's Nice for What or Bebe Rexha's Meant to Be, crossover hit with Florida Georgia Line.

Maybe Cardi B.

When she asks again, I will forward your information to my boss. You will have a lot to talk about.

I should warn you, though. She's a huge Dodgers fan.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jul 2018, 22:19

Phenomenal Cat wrote:It helps to have a kid, who is not only hearing just about everything "for the first time", but has already decided that he is a music snob and everyone else is just "being trendy".

My oldest is a girl, and while I plied her with Nick Lowe and the Beatles on the way to pre-school, she found her own tastes in the form of Radio Disney. It was very much AM radio wrapped in a Disney commercial. But listening to that stuff, there was also some great pure pop played: Hanson, Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys, etc.

My daughter and I have a common bond with music, but I've found that girls have a much more open-minded view on pop music than guys do. She likes older stuff, but she will also listen to emo/hard rock and hip-hop, R&B with equal enthusiasm.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jul 2018, 22:19

toomanyhatz wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:I work at a music company. I often despair at the fact that (for instance) even people my age here have no fucking clue who Gene Clark is.

I just got an e-mail from my boss (who I like a lot, and who is my age or older) asking us to try to figure out what is "the summer song of 2018." God, it's taking all my strength to not answer "who cares?" or "Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly. In instances like this I figure it's best to just keep quiet.

My vote would be Drake's Nice for What or Bebe Rexha's Meant to Be, crossover hit with Florida Georgia Line.

Maybe Cardi B.

When she asks again, I will forward your information to my boss. You will have a lot to talk about.

I should warn you, though. She's a huge Dodgers fan.

It will never work.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Jul 2018, 22:21

Charlie O. wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:
I drew the line at Jim Stafford,

You don't like "Spiders and Snakes?"

:?

It's okay, Bob - that ain't what it takes to love him like he wants to be loved by us.

:D
I knew somebody would get it.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Jul 2018, 22:47

OK, I have a story about being a miserable bastard, and getting tired of it.

In the summer before senior year of high school, I went to band camp. I had gone the previous year, and spent a lot of my time listening to my walkman on headphones, being this kind of solitary guy. I had some good friends in high school, but they were all a year older than me and had just graduated. I decided, this year's gonna be different. I'm going to be go along to get along, make friends and become popular. I quit smoking and left all my tapes at home, determined I was not going to be sniffy about it. If other people wanted to hear Chicago and Huey Lewis, I'd listen to that and not give them a hard time about it. I'd try to act like they were acting and not be this elitist music snob that looked down on everything people liked. And then maybe girls would like me and guys would want to be my friend.

Well guess what, it didn't work out as planned. It was a week of total failure and hopelessness. My garden variety anxiety about high school crap was dialed up to a new level. And marching band was something I considered myself good at... if this wasn't going well, then the school year proper was gonna be fucked up. I got really depressed on the bus ride home from camp... the outlook for the coming year was not positive. And between the anxiety and the awful camp food, I couldn't crap for days. It was a terrible feeling.

As soon as I walked in my house, I cranked up Zen Arcade and lit a cigarette. Then I found a substantial roach in the corner of the desk drawer. Minutes later I took the greatest dump of my entire life. All that anxiety and helpless feeling just washed away. I would survive senior year.

I would never again try to separate myself from the music that meant something to me, just to please other people.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jul 2018, 01:49

I think the dumping really added to that story.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 04 Jul 2018, 04:34

bobzilla77 wrote:OK, I have a story about being a miserable bastard, and getting tired of it.

At first I thought it was metaphorical, but it all rings true.
kath wrote:i will make it my mission to nail you.

But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Jul 2018, 09:41

sloopjohnc wrote:

Maybe Cardi B.

I'd go with One Kiss by Calvin Harris and Dua Lipa. It's just a quality pop song. I don't get the appeal of Drake, at all, his rapping style is the same unchanging mumble from song to song.

Return to “Yakety Yak”