MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hugh

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Hugh » 24 Jun 2018, 14:32

I'd be pretty confident that you DON'T twist the wires together and stick them in the one hole.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Jun 2018, 16:15

Hugh wrote:I'd be pretty confident that you DON'T twist the wires together and stick them in the one hole.

You don't - you're right. I had a guy come out and do it all for me and I watched him.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Jun 2018, 19:10

I started my 57th birthday today with a root canal at 7:45 in the morning. Seemingly fitting, considering.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jun 2018, 18:01

Last night, my son told me something that happened at his summer gig: He's volunteering for the city to help fix and clean up shit and in exchange he gets service hours required for graduation.

He said, "Hey, I overheard two girls saying there are no cute guys herre, but mom always tells me how handsome I am."

I said, "I don't know what to tell you champ. Wait a couple weeks 'til they come back to reality and realize these are the pickins' they got."

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 28 Jun 2018, 11:07

Bit of a mental week. Changed my son's school, have been shuttling to and forth from the hospital to see my dad, sort out his house, son's birthday today, plus loads of other stuff with potential teacher training. Thankfully things with my dad seem more organised in terms of what we are going to do - I don't think he's really got a huge amount of time left, perhaps 6 months at best - but he's coming home for a bit whilst we look for a care place.

I'm using a Project Management app for my dad and it's this sort of thing that actually works really well with my siblings - everyone knows what is going on, who does what etc, who can do what when etc. It's great.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jun 2018, 19:00

Toby wrote:Bit of a mental week. Changed my son's school, have been shuttling to and forth from the hospital to see my dad, sort out his house, son's birthday today, plus loads of other stuff with potential teacher training. Thankfully things with my dad seem more organised in terms of what we are going to do - I don't think he's really got a huge amount of time left, perhaps 6 months at best - but he's coming home for a bit whilst we look for a care place.

I'm using a Project Management app for my dad and it's this sort of thing that actually works really well with my siblings - everyone knows what is going on, who does what etc, who can do what when etc. It's great.

Are you using MS Project? I hope not - I hate that fucking thing.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Jun 2018, 21:48

All the best Toby. Really hope your dad will have some fine times left with you all.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Jun 2018, 01:19

Enjoying Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 5.1 on my new stereo rig. No matter how much things seem to suck these days, I can always just relax with some wine, dope, and some good music...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jun 2018, 17:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Enjoying Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 5.1 on my new stereo rig. No matter how much things seem to suck these days, I can always just relax with some wine, dope, and some good music...

Sounds like just a roomier version of Matt Wilson's car.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Jun 2018, 17:58

Today, is three months without a drink. I stopped when I had my gout attack and while I've had blood tests since then, it only shows my uric acid is on high end, but not "goutable." Also, my blood pressure has gone down to normal, still with the help of pills, but it's now down to the 120 mark and not 140.

But I don't miss it much. I miss some foods I can't eat, but not drinking. On a hot day, I think it might be nice to have a beer or a couple glasses of wine but that gout hurt so much it's not worth it finding out.

Besides, I just feel better without it.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 02 Jul 2018, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jun 2018, 18:38

Good luck. On a similar subject, an old friend of mine who I visited recently in Sacramento wrote a blog about how he had started drinking again, and was enjoying doing so in moderation. When I read it, I realized how crazy his story is, and how I have managed to be in touch with him for all the biggest changes in his life.

I was friends with his older half-brother (who went to another high school, but were in high school when we met). He was 9 when I met him, just shortly after his mom had remarried and moved him in with his new family. At the time I just thought, OK nice kid, but mostly ignored him 'cause he was the younger brother. But apparently it was a really traumatic time, and he started smoking pot and drinking a disturbingly short time after (like in excess by age 12).

Then, when his brother got married, I attended the wedding and saw him again. Now he was 16, and had just recently gone through a live-in treatment program and was completely sober. And so he stayed for 30 years. The second time, the age difference still precluded us from being friends, but I had more in common with him, including music taste. But I dropped out of touch with both him and his brother.

We got back in touch about 10 years ago, and then I realized I had more in common with him (very easy-going, similar music taste as I said, now a baseball fan as his older brother never was and never will be) than with his brother. So we became Facebook friends, and after talking about it pretty much the whole time, I finally visited him and went to a minor league baseball game about a year ago. Yes, we each had a few beers.

In the blog he wrote, he talks about the 4 most important stages of his life being - child thrown into turmoil, teenager in recovery, married sober adult with children, then finally married not-totally-sober adult with children starting to move out and live on their own.

I just find it amusing that I've seen him, basically three times in the last 40 years - and have pretty much caught a big life change for him every single one of those times.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Jul 2018, 20:16

My son and I were eating lunch at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and they had the Denmark/Croatia match on.

Out of nowhere, my son turned t me and said, "Why are soccer players so damn fancy?"

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Jul 2018, 22:17

My son and I were watching Black Mirror this weekend on my tablet. Part of what we did during the show was try to guess the twist at the end. I guessed one and my son went off on how stupid I was and how that couldn't possibly be it.

Turns out I was right. I told him, "I've learned a little watching 40 years of Twilight Zones."

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Jul 2018, 15:03

We're going through a major league heat wave here now. Yesterday, I went to sit on my balcony, barefoot. Man, my parasol was not open, so the balcony floor was stupid hot. I rapidly opened the parasol up to get some shade and sat in my favorite chair. Problem was, some of the plastic joints of the chair had partly melted. So the chair folds up, sending me ass over tea kettle into the brick wall. Lucky, I didn't get hurt but holy crap it's hot out there. And it'll be like that all week.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jul 2018, 17:03

souphound wrote:We're going through a major league heat wave here now. Yesterday, I went to sit on my balcony, barefoot. Man, my parasol was not open, so the balcony floor was stupid hot. I rapidly opened the parasol up to get some shade and sat in my favorite chair. Problem was, some of the plastic joints of the chair had partly melted. So the chair folds up, sending me ass over tea kettle into the brick wall. Lucky, I didn't get hurt but holy crap it's hot out there. And it'll be like that all week.

That's hot.

I don't do well in heat and my apartment is on the top floor - so with the heat rising and then beating down on the roof, my apartment gets to 80 degrees when it's hot. I had to buy a big ass swamp cooler because my built in A/C is a joke. The cooler and the fan at least make it tolerable.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Jul 2018, 19:41

sloopjohnc wrote:
souphound wrote:We're going through a major league heat wave here now. Yesterday, I went to sit on my balcony, barefoot. Man, my parasol was not open, so the balcony floor was stupid hot. I rapidly opened the parasol up to get some shade and sat in my favorite chair. Problem was, some of the plastic joints of the chair had partly melted. So the chair folds up, sending me ass over tea kettle into the brick wall. Lucky, I didn't get hurt but holy crap it's hot out there. And it'll be like that all week.

That's hot.

I don't do well in heat and my apartment is on the top floor - so with the heat rising and then beating down on the roof, my apartment gets to 80 degrees when it's hot. I had to buy a big ass swamp cooler because my built in A/C is a joke. The cooler and the fan at least make it tolerable.

The big problem here (Montreal) is that when it gets hot, it gets very humid too. The hot air loads up with humidity over the Great Lakes and brings that here. Most unpleasant.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jul 2018, 20:48

It was 100°F here yesterday, and our AC broke down. It'll be fixed Thursday, but in the meantime we're going to a hotel.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Jul 2018, 18:09

Today, I came out to my car in my complex's car port and some guy had hit one of the posts and busted on of his front headlights and wrecked the whole front quarter panel. The way he hit it, it was like he was aiming for it and I couldn't figure out how he'd done it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Jul 2018, 19:32

It's gonna be over 100 degrees this weekend and my AC has been on the fritz for over a week. I complain, the manager sends the same guy out every time who can't seem to fix it, and I'm back to complaining again the next day. It even leaks through the ceiling now.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 05 Jul 2018, 19:41

Matt Wilson wrote:It's gonna be over 100 degrees this weekend and my AC has been on the fritz for over a week. I complain, the manager sends the same guy out every time who can't seem to fix it, and I'm back to complaining again the next day. It even leaks through the ceiling now.

Look at your lease and get real with them if you haven’t already. 100 with no A/C is dangerous. Landlords around here don’t play games when there are A/C problems.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Nextdoorland”