The Rolling Stones - Miss You: Yea or Nay?

Do talk back

MY?

Yea
68%
Nay
7%
Meh
24%

Total votes: 41

fange
100% fangetastic

The Rolling Stones - Miss You: Yea or Nay?

Postby fange » 25 Jun 2018, 08:59

One of the band's biggest hits in the late '70s; of their whole career, in fact.

And the officaal promo...

What say you BCB? Thumbs up, thumbs down, or just don't really care.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: The Rolling Stones - Miss You: Yea or Nay?

Postby naughty boy » 25 Jun 2018, 09:28

Total shit.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Jun 2018, 09:31

ORORORO wrote:Total shit.

Have you seen that promo? Good Lord. :lol:
Jonny Spencer wrote:

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 25 Jun 2018, 10:41

Shocking.

It's a Jagger solo project in all but name, isn't it? got his sticky pawprints all over it.

Maybe I'd be more favourably disposed if it was playing while I was sipping cocktails in Nassau with Rihanna blowing down my ear, but here and now it sounds like the most worthless thing ever.

It couldn't be further away from something like '19th Nervous Breakdown', but it isn't like much - from their chart hits at least - that came after, either. Keith was MIA and they disappeared down a slippery disco hole for a while.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 25 Jun 2018, 12:54

I mean, reading what John wrote above me, it's not difficult to sort of emphasize the 'hate' side of my own love/hate relationship with it.

It's like something that can strike you as either woefully irksome or somehow improbably attractive depending on the angle at which youhappen to see it at any given moment. I don't claim Some Girls as any sort of career high for the band (that it follows a woefully unfocused period of sustained torpor for the group with something a bit more concise, memorable and apparently conscious is - in itself - no incredible virtue). When I'm up for it, the greasy sounding phased guitars in the bridge are effective and (ala "Shattered") Jagger's manic sort of monologues occasionally summon a "Yeah, go for it, you old nut!" admiration/respect.

And then, the rest of the time, it just sounds like the tired old horses en route to the glue factory.

Mind you, "Beast of Burden" is worse.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Jun 2018, 13:11

I was expecting much worse from what John wrote. I mean, it's The Stones, they've recorded a megafuckton of crap. I didn't recognise it from the title, but I do from the oo-ooos. And unless that's ripped off from somewhere else, those oo-ooos are probably the best thing The Stones have done since about 1969.

Not much of a song, admittedly, but it's a good hook.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 25 Jun 2018, 13:24

I remember when it came out when I was a kid. It marked the moment when they became decisively old and irrelevant, I don't care how much it sold or was on the radio. I know it was supposed to be edgy and of the moment, but that just made it worse.

The ooh ooh ooh ooh oo-oo-oo-oo just sounded so forced and uninspired. Like something a would-be funky middle-aged man would make up in the shower. And then he does that stupid accent, "just dyyyy-in to mee choo," etc.

As people came to claim they actually liked it, I figured out, probably for the first time, the power of legacy and nostalgia to shape how people hear things.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 25 Jun 2018, 13:28

I like it. I wouldn't have about ten years ago when I thought they did nothing worthwhile after Exile, but I've lightened up.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jun 2018, 13:29

Yay from me. It has a sassy swing and an effortless assurance. The Stones brief disco period was a very welcome respite from the rest of their laboured and uninspired output in the 70s and 80s. Late period disco suited The Stones louche decadence.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jun 2018, 13:53

The Modernist wrote:Yay from me. It has a sassy swing and an effortless assurance. The Stones brief disco period was a very welcome respite from the rest of their laboured and uninspired output in the 70s and 80s. Late period disco suited The Stones louche decadence.

I'll go along with this. A yea from me too.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 25 Jun 2018, 14:38

Notwithstanding that I concur with this:
Bent Fabric wrote:I don't claim Some Girls as any sort of career high for the band (that it follows a woefully unfocused period of sustained torpor for the group with something a bit more concise, memorable and apparently conscious is - in itself - no incredible virtue).

... I also basically concur with this:
The Modernist wrote:Yay from me. It has a sassy swing and an effortless assurance. The Stones brief disco period was a very welcome respite from the rest of their laboured and uninspired output in the 70s and 80s. Late period disco suited The Stones louche decadence.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Jun 2018, 14:40

I'm happy to admit i've always liked the song (though the video does it no favours). It's way down my list of personal favourites, but i find it's catchiness kind of irresistable to this day.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Jun 2018, 16:06

Nope. Along with those of the Who, Yardbirds, Small Faces and Kinks, I enjoyed quite a few of the Stones' singles from the sixties to the early seventies, but I was well over them by the time this limped out.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 25 Jun 2018, 16:15

I love it, and might rank it pretty highly relative to other Stones’ singles.

It’s a really unique sounding record. Blues/disco...who’d have even imagined?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 25 Jun 2018, 17:14

Ditto.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 Jun 2018, 17:15

I think it’s great. It really shouldn’t work, the whole thing is actually ‘off’, not least Jagger’s, ahem, street rapping, but it’s an effortless, irresistible, ridiculous gas. I agree with G, this satin shirted, quaalude gabbling, leering at Annabel’s interlude in their career suited them much more than the 40th rewrite of Brown Sugar.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 25 Jun 2018, 17:17

The Modernist wrote:Late period disco suited The Stones louche decadence.

I absolutely love the shit out of the track "Emotional Rescue", as it happens.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 Jun 2018, 17:19

Bent Fabric wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Late period disco suited The Stones louche decadence.

I absolutely love the shit out of the track "Emotional Rescue", as it happens.

Yes, that’s the other one I bracket with this. It’s equally risible and almost equally ace.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 25 Jun 2018, 17:26

Have no real issues with the song...has a decent groove for a Stones number...but that promo does it no favors...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Jun 2018, 17:47

I’ve always liked it but then I’m a sucker for that kind of walking bassline.

I think Jaggers increased campiness found a more natural home with this sorta thing. It actually works in tandem with Jaggers archness

I feel the same about Emotional Rescue
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”