New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 31 May 2018, 20:51

The previous Michael Connelly books I've read have definitely been a cut above your average crime fiction pot-boiler, and I'm hoping this one is no exception.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 02 Jun 2018, 16:59

Just ordered this.
Question authority.

joklend

Postby joklend » 13 Jun 2018, 22:10

Making slow work of this due to work and life bothering me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Jun 2018, 22:27

I've started this and, so far, it's one of the better reads regarding that crazy 12 weeks from the announcement of his candidacy to his assassination.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Jun 2018, 08:57

Just finished David Szalay's All That Man Is. And apparently man is a collection of 9 weakly written, ineffectual and unconnected short stories.

Now back to the crime fiction:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Jun 2018, 09:20

I've just finished that Szalay book too and I'd agree with you.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 14 Jun 2018, 11:17

Entertaining and elegantly-written biog with Damon the unmentioned mockney elephant in the room.

Recommended.

I'm not sure it's a 'work of 'staggering genius' mind you, but great nonetheless.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Jun 2018, 12:15

A few of you on here may be interested in this crowdfunded book, entitled "A Guide To Modernism In Metro-Land" by Joshua Abbott.
It's halfway to being fully funded so please take a look and sign up if you fancy a copy of the book.

Modernism in Metro-Land started as a website in 2011 and has grown to explore modernist buildings throughout suburban London. Inspired by John Betjeman’s Metro-Land (1973) television programme and the architectural books by Ian Nairn, the website examines the growth of the suburbs from the 1920s to the present day through its modernist designs. Featuring architects such as Charles Holden, Erno Goldfinger and Norman Foster, Modernism in Metro-Land also shows the development of modernist architecture in Britain from its introduction in the 1920s right up to the brink of the 21st century. As well as the website, Modernism in Metro-Land also hosts tours of the modernist stations of the Piccadilly and Central Lines, as well as being a fixture of the annual Open House London weekend with its Stanmore Art Deco house walking tour.

And, no, I'm not on commission.
Cocaine

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 17 Jun 2018, 00:40

The Cornwell Shakespeare book was entertaining and informative if you are interested in how theater was back in those days.

Next up is this

Question authority.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 17 Jun 2018, 08:09

Deebank wrote:Image

Entertaining and elegantly-written biog with Damon the unmentioned mockney elephant in the room.

Recommended.

I'm not sure it's a 'work of 'staggering genius' mind you, but great nonetheless.

I really enjoyed that.
A cut above the usual rock star memoire; he had such a strange upbringing - working class bohemian.
I like the way that it ends of the cusp of success and also how Albarn is just hinted at - the Popscene annuals and the "Modern Life is Rubbish" graffito.
There is no point scoring or argument settling.

On the downside I got little feel for what made them stand out from the crowd at the time musically and how that alchemy happened and some of the turns of phrase lean towards the overly flowery but never spiral into Morrisseyesque jarring clangers.

Better read as a personal period piece rather than an exposition on Suede.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Jun 2018, 12:32

Copehead wrote:On the downside I got little feel for what made them stand out from the crowd at the time musically and how that alchemy happened.

Wasn't that the point of the book?

It was the failure that made them? Ditching Justine and giving Butler free rein?

On a similar note I've been listening to Dog Man Star a bit lately - the end of side two is a staggering work of genius :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 17 Jun 2018, 13:18

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:On the downside I got little feel for what made them stand out from the crowd at the time musically and how that alchemy happened.

It was the failure that made them? Ditching Justine and giving Butler free rein?

On a similar note I've been listening to Dog Man Star a bit lately - the end of side two is a staggering work of genius :lol:

Have you heard their last album - it is a real return to form?

I got the point about Freischman leaving giving them space but got little sense of the relationship of Butler and Anderson that her leaving allowed to flourish, he seemed far closer to Osman, obviously.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 17 Jun 2018, 13:30

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I got the point about Freischman leaving giving them space but got little sense of the relationship of Butler and Anderson that her leaving allowed to flourish, he seemed far closer to Osman, obviously.

Luke Haines has quite a lot to say about it all in his excellent - and very funny - biog Bad Vibes. Highly recommended!

John Harris's The Last Party is also very good on this pivotal point in the formation of Britpop.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jun 2018, 20:28

Deebank wrote:[
Luke Haines has quite a lot to say about it all in his excellent - and very funny - biog Bad Vibes. Highly recommended!

John Harris's The Last Party is also very good on this pivotal point in the formation of Britpop.

Thanks for reminding me about that, I had bought it but it had never downloaded to my kindle for some reason.
Now it has and the opening chapter about being attacked by a dwarf on stage is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Jun 2018, 07:28

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 20:02

Just re-started this - the subject matter is well known, but there is some fantastic detail here regarding the four main components of 'the team' (Bernstein, Sondheim, Laurents and Robbins) as they worked on the idea for years before the realisation of "West Side Story" on Broadway in 1958..... quite a bit of background on NYC itself at the time, and how that informed the musical.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 30 Jun 2018, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 20:04

Diamond Dog wrote:Image

I've started this and, so far, it's one of the better reads regarding that crazy 12 weeks from the announcement of his candidacy to his assassination.

This was excellent and well worth picking up if you're interested in the Robert Kennedy 'phenomenon' of 1968.
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Jun 2018, 20:13

Copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:

Brett’s only recollection of Richard Osman was good.
Apparently he stormed into the room and announced “The sixties were shit!” :lol:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jun 2018, 21:18

Meanwhile, back in "Now Reading".....
Cocaine

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Jun 2018, 21:38

Diamond Dog wrote:Meanwhile, back in "Now Reading".....

We are talking about books we are readig
And teh are about music as well

What more do you want/1111!!!!@@

I've had a Negroni and I am watching the Manics at the Osle of Wight festival

They are fab

Sorry for the spelling msralee x

Return to “Nextdoorland”