45%
b) Brian Wilson.
55%

Total votes: 47

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Paul Simon or Brian Wilson?

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jun 2018, 08:47

Who gets your vote from these two giants?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Paul Simon or Brian Wilson?

Postby The Slider » 10 Jun 2018, 09:42

Is a parsec not a unit of time rather than of distance?

Paul Simon has made more far music that means anything to me.

Surf's Up vs America would be a tough call though
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Jun 2018, 10:02

Not much in it as far as songwriting goes, although Paul is obviously a better lyricist (did Brian ever write a {good} lyric?), but Brian wins hands down as a producer/arranger/studio bod, and as a performer. Not that it's relevant, but I also get the impression he's a nicer guy.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jun 2018, 10:22

Rayge wrote:Not much in it as far as songwriting goes, although Paul is obviously a better lyricist (did Brian ever write a {good} lyric?)

'Don't Worry Baby' is great
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 10 Jun 2018, 10:53

The Venerable B. Eef wrote:
Rayge wrote:Not much in it as far as songwriting goes, although Paul is obviously a better lyricist (did Brian ever write a {good} lyric?)

As is "Til I Die".

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jun 2018, 13:39

Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:"God Only Knows"? "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?

He didn't write those lyrics, did he?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 13:55

Brian by miles. It’s not even close for me
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 10 Jun 2018, 14:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
Vic Snazell-Sprey wrote:"God Only Knows"? "Wouldn't It Be Nice"?

He didn't write those lyrics, did he?

Tony Asher was lyricist on Pet Sounds. iirc
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Jun 2018, 14:21

Bent Fabric wrote:
The Venerable B. Eef wrote:

As is "Til I Die".

They're both great :) : it's just that he so often worked with lyricists that I didn't know which songs were purely his own.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 10 Jun 2018, 14:33

If I were compelled to extrapolate my own "Brian, by light years" reasoning (and I'm not at all here to shit on Simon), I might start with the first 22 seconds of "California Girls".

Nevermind "the lyrics" - that instrumental "so modern we still haven't even gotten there yet" overture might be BW in a nutshell. A glorious picture in sound that manages to preface a song about "young men being into chicks" with all of this emotionally evocative pathos. You get into the body of the song, and he's hitting all of these heavy ass emotional harmonic/chordal moves (the changes in the verse...especially as fleshed out by the backing vocals in the second verse), and the up and down moves in the chorus (that last passage through G/Am/B carries a lot of "shit...this guy's a motherfucker!" implied gravitas).

Add to that his apparently singular ability to (repeatedly) get something valid out of Mike Love and there's no doubt we're talking about a deeply unique, singular, and untouchable force of nature.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Jun 2018, 14:45

Paul Simon by how ever many light years you could care to mentipn.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jun 2018, 14:57

Simon is a great craftsman who sometimes verged into being a great poet. He willed himself into creating a truly astonishing body of work. His work has meant a lot to me over the years. I could (and have) go on and on.

Wilson is a one-off. A visionary. One of those guys with a seemingly open channel to the divine.

I learned most of what I know about songwriting from Simon. I couldn’t learn much from Wilson. He created on a plane that I couldn’t even hope to get near. You can deconstruct his work harmonically, but it is hard to even fathom how he thought to make the choices he made. If Dylan is pop’s Shakespeare, Wilson is it’s Mozart.

So Wilson. Light years. He’s a chimera. No insult at all to Simon, who is one of the most talented mortals who ever walked the earth. It’s actually a testament to his greatness that this comparison isn’t immediately dismissed by all.

It’s just that Brian Wilson is a whole other thing. They’ll be studying him hundreds of years from now.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jun 2018, 16:03

Bent Fabric wrote:

If I were compelled to extrapolate my own "Brian, by light years" reasoning (and I'm not at all here to shit on Simon), I might start with the first 22 seconds of "California Girls".

:)

A major highlight of last year's gig, for me.

(I was going to mention it on your 'our biggest hits' thread too - that band couldn't have sounded more natural and joyous, and they must have performed those songs hundreds of times)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 10 Jun 2018, 17:27

Brian Wilson. Pet Sounds and Smile Sessions are enough for a large margin win.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Jun 2018, 17:34

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It’s just that Brian Wilson is a whole other thing. They’ll be studying him hundreds of years from now.

I totally agree with you. My problem is that i don't get this from his records. I keep playing Pet Sounds every so often and I like it but don't get the masterpiece that others get.

i usually then go and play some Kraftwerk.........
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 Jun 2018, 17:38

If doooeee and dah and boo boo booeeah are considered lyrics then Brian. Otherwise it's the midget with the comb over.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 10 Jun 2018, 17:42

I think Paul Simon speaks to me more. I love Brian Wilson's work but I do sort of recognise its genius without really being emotionally involved in many cases.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Jun 2018, 17:42

Wilson. I could echo much of what's already been said.

Instead, I will say this much for Paulie:

a) although it's been 28 years since the last PS album that really satisfied me (The Rhythm Of The Saints), I'd still be more curious to hear what he's up to now than to hear Brian's latest; and

b) if Brian Wilson and Paul Simon were both playing in town, on the same night but in different venues, and if somebody were to offer me free tickets to see either one, I'd choose Simon (unless Wilson was doing Smile again - I missed that tour). I have seen and enjoyed both - several times, in Brian's case - and they both have terrific bands and, duh, terrific songs. But Simon seems like he actually enjoys being on stage; with Brian I invariably get the uneasy feeling that he's only there because his wife and his manager have told him that he needs to confront his demons.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jun 2018, 18:30

Rayge wrote:Not much in it as far as songwriting goes, although Paul is obviously a better lyricist (did Brian ever write a {good} lyric?), but Brian wins hands down as a producer/arranger/studio bod, and as a performer. Not that it's relevant, but I also get the impression he's a nicer guy.

I also think it's a East Coast/West Coast thing. Simon fills up his songs with lyrics, as if he's in a hurry. Wilson's approach to songwriting and lyrics is much more laid back. He gets to the point quicker.

Bruh.

Ask Diamond Dog how much he enjoys that west coast vibe when we're ordering food at an LA Jolly Up? Maybe I read the situation completely wrong, but the slow pace of getting around to the subject after someone mentioned getting food was completely natural to me. But the polite tension on Pete's face as ordering completely stalled, was priceless.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 10 Jun 2018, 19:54

Wilson for the music, Simon for the lyrics

Return to “Yakety Yak”