The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian: yea or nay?

Do talk back

??

Yea
48%
Nay
45%
Egyption Footy
6%

Total votes: 31

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian: yea or nay?

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jun 2018, 19:35

pcqgod wrote:I can listen to it now and enjoy it for what it is, but at the time it seemed a betrayal, coming as it did after the smart, emotionally-engaging garagey pop-rock of their self-titled e.p. and the 'All Over the Place' lp. That and their MTV-makeover made their descent into power ballad mediocrity inevitable.

This. Although certainly it doesn't completely lack "that sound" of AOtP, and that is a some small victory. Surely it could have been worse. (And "Manic Monday" probably is...)
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 19:38

pcqgod wrote:I can listen to it now and enjoy it for what it is, but at the time it seemed a betrayal, coming as it did after the smart, emotionally-engaging garagey pop-rock of their self-titled e.p. and the 'All Over the Place' lp. That and their MTV-makeover made their descent into power ballad mediocrity inevitable.

Yep.

Actually - the single before this one was a peach:

Last edited by naughty boy on 05 Jun 2018, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Jun 2018, 21:26

The Venerable B. Eef wrote:

Yep.

Actually - the single before this one was a peach:

I like this one and I like Manic Monday (written by Prince) alot more like Walk Like an Egyptian. It's just a stupid song and video.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Jun 2018, 21:39

Jeez, these supposedly more credible, classier early tracks are really wretched. Is MOR really that appealing to you lot?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 21:55

They haven't even got one toe in MOR.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 05 Jun 2018, 21:58

If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Jun 2018, 22:00

They’re tiny, no wonder they have to walk like that
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Jun 2018, 22:30

Darkness_Fish wrote:Jeez, these supposedly more credible, classier early tracks are really wretched. Is MOR really that appealing to you lot?

These are the Bangles that I like, sharp pop with a garage rock edge, Mamas & Papas harmonies meets Nuggets.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Jun 2018, 22:49

James was my favorite of those earlier ones.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Jun 2018, 23:30

Count me as a fan of AOTP and particularly the three tracks Fange calls out, all pop greatness. I like this one a lot too - it’s kinda goofy - the gongs, the whistling - but it’s still cool. And Teenage RT still like Susanna’s eye rolling and, er, smouldering. Hell, middle aged RT does too.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jun 2018, 03:19

toomanyhatz wrote:

This. Although certainly it doesn't completely lack "that sound" of AOtP, and that is a some small victory. Surely it could have been worse. (And "Manic Monday" probably is...)

Ok, i'll be honest and say i think this whole "betrayal" concept is bullshit. Not just in this case - coz as hatzt says, 'WLAE' actually does have some of the band's earlier signature sound still in it, especially the guitars - but pidgeon-holing an artist or group in general to grow and/or to achieve success in the way I as a fan want them too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Jun 2018, 04:52

Since this thread has inevitably morphed into "post your favorite Bangles tune," here's mine (unless "The Real World" is):

All Over The Place is a near-masterpiece.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jun 2018, 05:32

Charlie O. wrote:All Over The Place is a near-masterpiece.

Wow. I like it and think it's a pretty solid guitar pop record, but i've never really thought about it in those terms. If this is a near-masterpiece, then the same should be said for the Hoodoo Gurus' and the Smithereens' debuts.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Jun 2018, 05:46

fange wrote:If this is a near-masterpiece, then the same should be said for the Hoodoo Gurus' and the Smithereens' debuts.

I prefer both those bands' second albums, as it happens. Green Thoughts might be in the same league as All Over The Place.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jun 2018, 06:25

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:If this is a near-masterpiece, then the same should be said for the Hoodoo Gurus' and the Smithereens' debuts.

I prefer both those bands' second albums, as it happens. Green Thoughts might be in the same league as All Over The Place.

Actually, i'd agree with you about Mars Needs Guitars!, but not about GT. Been a while since i heard it though, so maybe it'll click more now; let's see.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 06 Jun 2018, 10:23

I despise racism in all it's forms.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jun 2018, 14:21

The Prof wrote:I despise racism in all it's forms.

What about the Dutch?

(sorry maarts)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jun 2018, 16:28

Charlie O. wrote:

Prefer the Hoodoo Gurus second, but like the Smithereens debut. Their second isn't far off though.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jun 2018, 16:41

fange wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

Ok, i'll be honest and say i think this whole "betrayal" concept is bullshit. Not just in this case - coz as hatzt says, 'WLAE' actually does have some of the band's earlier signature sound still in it, especially the guitars - but pidgeon-holing an artist or group in general to grow and/or to achieve success in the way I as a fan want them too.

Yeah, but you know how it is when you love an artist. And I just adored the Bangles; was even in their official fan club. The sound on the early records just sounds so organic and pure and unlike what was being played on U.S. radio at the time. That radio ready sheen and use of synth drums starting around 1986 really didn't sit well with me. I remember actually returning a Soul Asylum album to the record store because I thought it was defective for having a gated snare sound!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Jun 2018, 16:46

pcqgod wrote:
fange wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

Yeah, but you know how it is when you love an artist. And I just adored the Bangles; was even in their official fan club. The sound on the early records just sounds so organic and pure and unlike what was being played on U.S. radio at the time.

Good way to put it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”