rank these artists II

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: rank these artists II

Postby Hightea » 05 Jun 2018, 19:35

toomanyhatz wrote:

To a degree, sure. But this is an old BCB argument - rock and roll should radiate fun/sex vs. rock and roll should be transcendent (which may or may not include notions or artiness or maturity or whatever dirty word you want to associate).

And then you have people like me who doesn't give a sh*t about, radiating fun, sex symbols, rnr should transcend music or does too much noodling crap. An artist/musician makes good or bad music everything else is just gravy. Sure we like lots of female musicians but we try our best not to get the looks get in the way on if the music is good or bad. It goes the opposite way too I'm not going to hate someone because they are an ugly duckling. Although can someone please tell Iggy to put a f*cking shirt on.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2018, 19:39

Carole King
Sits considerably in front of the rest. A genius who wrote so many fucking hits, it hurts.

Roger Waters
A disagreeable man mostly, but responsible for the majority of my preferred Pink Floyd.

Stevie Nicks
Noddy Holder
Todd Rundgren
Aretha Franklin
Debbie Harry
Phil Spector
Rod Stewart

Slightly below Roger, but considerably above those below.

Ray Manzarek
Randy Newman
Diana Ross
Ian Curtis
Alan Vega
Joe Strummer
Sky Saxon
Johnny Thunders
Fats Domino
Lydia Lunch
Wilson Pickett
Kevin Ayers
Billy Fury
Ginger Baker
James Murphy
Roky Erickson
Annie Lennox
Adam Ant
Bob Mould

If I never heard a single second of all of the above for the rest of my life, I think I'd feel blessed.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Jun 2018, 20:00

Hightea wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

To a degree, sure. But this is an old BCB argument - rock and roll should radiate fun/sex vs. rock and roll should be transcendent (which may or may not include notions or artiness or maturity or whatever dirty word you want to associate).

And then you have people like me who doesn't give a sh*t about, radiating fun, sex symbols, rnr should transcend music or does too much noodling crap. An artist/musician makes good or bad music everything else is just gravy. Sure we like lots of female musicians but we try our best not to get the looks get in the way on if the music is good or bad. It goes the opposite way too I'm not going to hate someone because they are an ugly duckling. Although can someone please tell Iggy to put a f*cking shirt on.

For the record, I disagree with just about all of that. I’m not discussing finding someone ‘hot’ as being appalling.
I am talking about comparing one woman artist against another in terms of their physical appearance, something that never, ever happens to chaps.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jun 2018, 20:03

I agree with the part about Iggy putting his shirt on.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 20:12

Diamond Dog wrote:Ray Manzarek
Randy Newman
Diana Ross
Ian Curtis
Alan Vega
Joe Strummer
Sky Saxon
Johnny Thunders
Fats Domino
Lydia Lunch
Wilson Pickett
Kevin Ayers
Billy Fury
Ginger Baker
James Murphy
Roky Erickson
Annie Lennox
Adam Ant
Bob Mould

If I never heard a single second of all of the above for the rest of my life, I think I'd feel blessed.

oh dear
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 05 Jun 2018, 20:23

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Hightea wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

For the record, I disagree with just about all of that. I’m not discussing finding someone ‘hot’ as being appalling.
I am talking about comparing one woman artist against another in terms of their physical appearance, something that never, ever happens to chaps.

Bollocks.
Maybe not on this male-dominated forum, but in the real world that is exactly what happens.
That’s why Duran Duran were mega, and Thomas Dolby was an also ran.
Repeat ad infinitum with long lists of pretty boys vs credible musicians.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Jun 2018, 20:27

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Hightea wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

I’m not discussing finding someone ‘hot’ as being appalling.

funny I agree with your comment, maybe I didn't express it that way but I do agree.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Jun 2018, 20:35

Fonz wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:
Hightea wrote:

Bollocks.
Maybe not on this male-dominated forum, but in the real world that is exactly what happens.
That’s why Duran Duran were mega, and Thomas Dolby was an also ran.
Repeat ad infinitum with long lists of pretty boys vs credible musicians.

Are you deliberately not getting my point?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2018, 20:40

The Venerable B. Eef wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Ray Manzarek
Randy Newman
Diana Ross
Ian Curtis
Alan Vega
Joe Strummer
Sky Saxon
Johnny Thunders
Fats Domino
Lydia Lunch
Wilson Pickett
Kevin Ayers
Billy Fury
Ginger Baker
James Murphy
Roky Erickson
Annie Lennox
Adam Ant
Bob Mould

oh dear

By that I assume you like quite a few of them.

Which takes my blessedness to levels previously considered unachievable
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 20:55

:)

vaguely amusing
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jun 2018, 21:42

I’m certainly not arguing that y’all can’t look back fondly on your nights spent alone with a Blondie poster. Sex was part of their act, and there’s nothing wrong with acknowledging that. With apologies to Minnie, I don’t even think a comparison between the sexual appeal of Debbie Harry and Patti Smith is such a bad thing. But does it have to be such a stupid comparison?

Thinking back to their prime years, how about acknowledging that Harry was a conventionally exceptional-looking woman who gained power by knowing what everyone in the room was thinking about her and using it to her advantage? But if we do that, can we also acknowledge the sexuality inherent in Patti Smith’s incredible confidence and complete indifference to her audience’s preconceived ideas around beauty and gender?

She didn’t give a fuck - and she commanded her stage and her space like a force of nature. I don’t even love a lot of the tropes she employed...but it didn’t matter. She was always at the center of it. Lending it power and humanity. I liked her...even when I didn’t love the song. She was in complete control...and in music, that is always sexy.

I thought for a bit about complying with Coan’s request for a list of twenty songs. But with her it isn’t about the songs. It’s about these isolated moments within the songs. Hearing her caterwaul and careen between emotions in ways I generally wouldn’t buy from anyone else.

So yeah...In Davey’s Book Of Rock Done Right (foreword by Hatz) both Debbie Harry and Patti Smith were sexy in their own ways. Patti’s thing went far beyond that for me. That’s why I prefer her.

Shall we now compare Van Morrison’s and Jon Bon Jovi’s respective sex appeal?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Jun 2018, 21:44

Van Morrison ‘68 or ‘18 (with those nice new teeth)?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 21:54

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I thought for a bit about complying with Coan’s request for a list of twenty songs. But with her it isn’t about the songs. It’s about these isolated moments within the songs.

We never did set up that Pseuds Corner, did we? :)

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:09

It would be nice for you. Like a clubhouse.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Jun 2018, 22:17

No Horses:

Piss Factory
My Generation
Ask the Angels
Pissing in a River
Till Victory
Babelogue
Ghost Dance
So You Want To Be a Rock 'n Roll Star
Revenge
Dancing Barefoot
Seven Ways of Going
Gone Again
About a Boy
Waiting Underground
Farewell Reel
Memento Mori
Boy Cried Wolf
Changing of the Guard
Seneca
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:19

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It would be nice for you. Like a clubhouse.

Unsavory!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:19

toomanyhatz wrote:No Horses:

Piss Factory
My Generation
Ask the Angels
Pissing in a River
Till Victory
Babelogue
Ghost Dance
So You Want To Be a Rock 'n Roll Star
Revenge
Dancing Barefoot
Seven Ways of Going
Gone Again
About a Boy
Waiting Underground
Farewell Reel
Memento Mori
Boy Cried Wolf
Changing of the Guard
Seneca

Thanks. I'll listen to the first few (at least) later.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:24

The Venerable B. Eef wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It would be nice for you. Like a clubhouse.

Unsavory!

Semi truth though
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:30

Go easy with the misappropriation of others' cultural identities there D!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Jun 2018, 22:30

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Return to “Yakety Yak”