Some of your favourite film performances

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Re: Some of your favourite film performances

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 11:45

Another shout for Jake Gyllenhaal. I thought carried Donnie Darko very well. He was always watchable and believable is a otherwise fubar script and story. The whole cast was good in that to be fair.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Re: Some of your favourite film performances

Postby hippopotamus » 18 May 2018, 12:17

sneelock wrote:I think Katherine Hepburn in "Long Day's Journey Into Night" is movie acting at it's very finest. I happen to think boozy plays can make for good movies -- if you don't then this won't win you over. watching people yell at each other can be mind numbing if you don't connect with the people. This performance reminds me of some of Montgomery Clift's acting after his accident - it's like you can see through the skin or something. every thought that flitters through the mind is expressed on the face. I like K. Hepburn in plenty of movies. usually she has an engaging or eccentric quality. Here she is world class pathetic. why should watching someone be pathetic be compelling? I don't know. she does it. I think she rules the world in this movie.

I had forgotten how much of a HOLE this is in my film repertoire.

Her performance in The philadephia story has to be one of the greatest.. because it's remarkably underplayed (Cary Grant occasionally overplayed in this, Jimmy Stewart played Just Right!).

I don't think she was always a great actress. But I think what you say is true. It's interesting that she's so well known for running the gamut of emotion from A to B... but its when she does the OTHER emotions, she knocks you flat (like her ditzy character in Bringing up Baby).
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Return to “Screenadelica”