Some of your favourite film performances

..and why not?
fange
100% fangetastic

Some of your favourite film performances

Postby fange » 16 May 2018, 14:00

I've always enjoyed the film Whiplash - a sharp and witty script with fine performances by the whole cast - but goddam, JK Simmons' portrayal of the band-leader-from-hell Terence Fletcher just steals the show. He gives the character quite a bit of depth I feel too in those quieter moments when he's not bawling out the students, but some of his lines just make me laugh out loud despite being outrageously un-PC.

"What, are you in a fucking a Capella group? Play the goddam kit!"

Oh my God, are you one of those single tear people?"

:lol:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Dr Markus

Re: Some of your favourite film performances

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 22:43

Are you asking for best ensemble cast?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 16 May 2018, 22:50

Practically every scene in All About Eve. Though my favourite isn't on youtube... this will do
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2018, 22:55

Just perfection. I can pretty much quote it word for word. Even the bad acting of the real gangsters and scorsese's ma, suits it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 May 2018, 22:59

Dr Markus wrote:Are you asking for best ensemble cast?

does it LOOK like he's asking for 'best ensemble cast'? :roll:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 17 May 2018, 00:25

No, just a great performance by an actor/actress in a film role. A performance where you think "wow, he/she is so great in this film, just nailed it".

Joe Pesci in Goodfellas would be a perfect example for me, incidently.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 00:26

BOLLY BEE wrote:

Well I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. Did i forget your birthday or the anniversary of our bromance? You're being very mean and passive aggressive towards me lately? Platonic hug?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 00:28

fange wrote:

No, just a great performance by an actor/actress in a film role. A performance where you think "wow, he/she is so great in this film, just nailed it".

Oh right gotcha. Gene hackman in the french connection 2 was brilliant i thought. I'll get back to you.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 May 2018, 01:04

Dr Markus wrote:
BOLLY BEE wrote:

Well I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. Did i forget your birthday or the anniversary of our bromance? You're being very mean and passive aggressive towards me lately? Platonic hug?

I'm not being mean and aggressive, Markus! It's just that sometimes, you come out with some strange stuff and I react to it.

If you come out with funny stuff then I laugh, right? or interesting stuff then I might say 'interesting!'
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 11:04

Nah, you've been a moody cunt, john.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 May 2018, 11:24

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 12:21

Pansy Puff wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:
fange wrote:No, just a great performance by an actor/actress in a film role. A performance where you think "wow, he/she is so great in this film, just nailed it".

Oh right gotcha. Gene hackman in the french connection 2 was brilliant i thought. I'll get back to you.

Why French Connection 2? What's wrong with his performance in the first one?

It's even more popeye centric, and he gives the character more depth.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 17 May 2018, 12:29

Dr Markus wrote:Nah, you've been a moody cunt, john.

This sounds like the comment of a long suffering wife. But keep this up, and you guys might be one of my favourite performances.
Last edited by hippopotamus on 17 May 2018, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 May 2018, 12:29

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 12:31

hippopotamus wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Nah, you've been a moody cunt, john.

This sounds like the comment of a long suffering wife. But keep this up, and you guys might be one of my favourite performances.

Wife? nah sounds more like what the husband or boyfriend would say to be honest, but they'd never say "cunt".

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 May 2018, 12:42

Would that be an ensemble performance?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2018, 12:45

BOLLY BEE wrote:Would that be an ensemble performance?

Well obviously, it would need two people, one being the wife or girlfriend and one being the boyfriend or husband. :?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 May 2018, 16:57

in recent years, Jake Gyllenhaal in 'Nightcrawler.' The performance is not over-the-top, but little nuances terrifyingly convey a man who is a stranger to normal human interaction, someone for whom empathy and even humor are completely alien concepts.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 May 2018, 17:09

I think Katherine Hepburn in "Long Day's Journey Into Night" is movie acting at it's very finest. I happen to think boozy plays can make for good movies -- if you don't then this won't win you over. watching people yell at each other can be mind numbing if you don't connect with the people. This performance reminds me of some of Montgomery Clift's acting after his accident - it's like you can see through the skin or something. every thought that flitters through the mind is expressed on the face. I like K. Hepburn in plenty of movies. usually she has an engaging or eccentric quality. Here she is world class pathetic. why should watching someone be pathetic be compelling? I don't know. she does it. I think she rules the world in this movie.
uggy poopy doody.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 18 May 2018, 10:44

BOLLY BEE wrote:Would that be an ensemble performance?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I just tried to stifle a laugh in an open office, and came out as a very creepy snort.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Return to “Screenadelica”