"Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

"Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer

Postby Muskrat » 16 May 2018, 01:47

Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: "Bohemian Rhapsody" trailer

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2018, 02:04

Hmmm...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 02:29

I got a bit of a thrill out of hearing the music, and the guys look enough like the band, BUT the styling and filming look more like "typical '70s"/leather jackets/sunglasses/moustaches/Vinyl than what things really looked like. Also, it's touted as "The only thing more extraordinary than their music is his story" which doesn't bode well. I'll likely see it though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 16 May 2018, 02:40

I'm eager to see it. I won't be crushed if it's disappointing, and I'll be thrilled if it's successful in its aim.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 16 May 2018, 05:39

The trailer does make it look like this is spinal tap 2.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 May 2018, 10:08

I suspect it will be total codswallop.
You cannpt bottle lightning
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 May 2018, 10:11

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 16 May 2018, 15:11

It'll be rubbish.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 May 2018, 15:42

It will no doubt avoid their Sun City involvement.
Give a shit or be a shit.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 May 2018, 16:49

Strike one - it shows all four of them recording vocals. Deacon didn't sing. A minor thing, perhaps, but proof that even basic research wasn't done.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 18:52

Freddie was so much subtler than people want to give him credit for. No screenwriter could write this ...

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 16 May 2018, 20:49

Guardian writer reviews the trailer

Yeah, that'd pull the audience:

To misquote Freddie Mercury: do stop this now, I’m having such a bad time. Not a word of dialogue is spoken in the trailer that doesn’t pertain to the music of Queen: nothing of Mercury’s love life, no illness, no emotion, nothing dangerous or overtly queer to offend anyone. To quote Brian May: big disgrace! The whole thing has the flavour of something strenuously queerwashed, which has removed everything wild and interesting about Mercury. This trailer would appear to presage a film with no interest in sounding the ambiguities of his life, the abrasive queerness of his perspective, the virulence of the homophobic press in their attacks on him – what, in a word, made him tick.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 May 2018, 22:10

That's another thing I hate about the modern world...people reviewing trailers.

Do I expect some kind of in depth exploration of Freddies life? No. Do any of us?

I'm sure it won't avoid the obvious but I don't expect to see midgets with cocaine bowls on their heads or Freddie fucking a guy either.

I'd settle for summat that captures the spirit of the man and the feel of the times. I'm not particularly hopeful.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 16 May 2018, 22:52

I'll watch it. I don't expect much. Biopics are so often awful. This one could be a fun 2 hours.

I just want to ask, does anybody else remember "the virulence of the homophobic press in their attacks on him"?

I have to say I really don't remember that. But Queen gave up on America after 1984 and weren't often in the press. When I saw them at Live Aid, it was kind of shocking how great they were - somehow we forgot about them.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 May 2018, 23:09

I remember "clueless, unintentionally homophobic fans" more like. Perpetuating stories like they're all gay but one, they're married to each other, etc. I don't remember the press being that way, but I didn't read much about them.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 May 2018, 23:15

bobzilla77 wrote:When I saw them at Live Aid, it was kind of shocking how great they were - somehow we forgot about them.

That's 'cause their records had long ago started sucking (no homoerotic pun intended).

I do remember articles coming out about him...uh...not coming out, saying that it was all theater and that he was straight, had a girlfriend, etc. So he may have thought there would be homophobia in their press coverage. But I don't remember there actually being any. If anything, I remember by the early 80s, it got pretty overt, which, at least among my group of friends (who, to be fair, lived in the big city and weren't, by-and-large, as homophobic as society was as a whole then) was pretty much met with a shrug.

Elton had long before come out, and it didn't seem to hurt his career that much either.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 May 2018, 23:18

If anything, I remember him being criticized by the Advocate, among others, for not coming out once he knew he had AIDS. I found that pretty annoying - I think that kind of thing is a personal decision and should be left as such.
Footy wrote:

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 17 May 2018, 04:03

Maybe this from IMDB will help

Storyline
Bohemian Rhapsody is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury, who defied stereotypes and shattered convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound, their near-implosion as Mercury's lifestyle spirals out of control, and their triumphant reunion on the eve of Live Aid, where Mercury, facing a life-threatening illness, leads the band in one of the greatest performances in the history of rock music. In the process, cementing the legacy of a band that were always more like a family, and who continue to inspire outsiders, dreamers and music lovers to this day. Written by Twentieth Century Fox

According to BBC, film production was rough. The film's producers and lead star, Rami Malek, had grown tired of Bryan Singer's erratic behavior, which saw him routinely showing up late to set or disappearing altogether. In 2017, after Thanksgiving break, Singer disappeared from filming for three days straight, at which point cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel had to step in and direct during Singer's non-showings. Reports claimed that Singer left because of a family matter. A couple of days after this report, 20th Century Fox fired Singer from the film due to his erratic behavior on and off set and clashes with production personnel. Matters would get much worse for Singer as the next day, 20th Century Fox terminated his Bad Hat Harry production deal with the studio. Fox began canvassing for a new director to finish up production with two weeks of filming still remaining, all of post-production, and with potential reshoots. The new director, Dexter Fletcher, commenced production after New Year's of 2018.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 17 May 2018, 06:06

bobzilla77 wrote:I'll watch it. I don't expect much. Biopics are so often awful. This one could be a fun 2 hours.

I just want to ask, does anybody else remember "the virulence of the homophobic press in their attacks on him"?

I have to say I really don't remember that. But Queen gave up on America after 1984 and weren't often in the press. When I saw them at Live Aid, it was kind of shocking how great they were - somehow we forgot about them.

Yet their tunes are played at every baseball game.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 May 2018, 12:27

Still amazing that dexter fletcher of press gang and hotel Babylon "fame" is directing a big movie like this. Where did he come from? Though I've always believed quintessential british based films should have british directors. I don't know why, I just think so.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Yakety Yak”