One of These Days
0%
Coming Up
3%

Total votes: 406

Bent Fabric

Wings/70s Paul poll

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 May 2018, 19:53

Surely I'm not the only person who plays these records in 2018.

I would say history and time have been far kinder to this music than anyone could have ever expected during the "Why won't my divorced parents get back together?" post "Beatles band" fan trauma of the era.

40-45 years later, this stuff (for me)absolutely bursts out of the car radio in a way that the more familiar likes of "Day Tripper" probably CAN'T.

I'm creating 50 options. You may pick 10.

I'm likely to miss out your favorite. Write it in.

Hugh

Re: Wings/70s Paul poll

Postby Hugh » 07 May 2018, 20:02

Where is Letting Go?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 May 2018, 20:40

I'm going through a phase of getting into this stuff AGAIN, in yet a different way, while simultaneously liking the dynamic, the man, the "group" Wings, quite a bit less. I'll come back to this, as I think it'll take a bit of research/organizing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 May 2018, 20:40

I went for:

Maybe I'm Amazed
Too Many People
Dear Boy
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
Long Haired Lady
Back Seat of My Car (probably my absolute favourite)
Jet
Let Me Roll It
Listen To What The Man Said
Coming Up

Lots off Ram! Monkberry Moon Delight is the most obvious omission to me, certainly a top ten choice.

and I'd probably take Big Barn Bed over Listen To What The Man Said

I've a soft spot for London Town, too - not sure if it'd replace any of my choices

I blow hot and cold on this stuff, but partly 'cos I haven't heard much of it for a long time, and partly 'cos it's a beautiful evening here, quick blasts of most of these choices served to remind me how great he could be for most of the 70s.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 May 2018, 20:41

Rumour has it Archive editions of RRS and Wild Life are coming soon.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 May 2018, 20:41

Moleskin wrote:Rumour has it Archive editions of RRS and Wild Life are coming soon.

(As well as a 50th anniversary White Album.)

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 May 2018, 20:44

Where is Don't Let It Bring You Down?
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 07 May 2018, 20:45

Quaco wrote:
Moleskin wrote:Rumour has it Archive editions of RRS and Wild Life are coming soon.

(As well as a 50th anniversary White Album.)

I hope we get all of the Kinfauns material
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 May 2018, 20:51

I hope they're cheaper than the Flowers in the Dirt Archive Edition. Over a hundred bucks for four CDs (none of them even near being maxed out), with a fifth that you needed to download.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 May 2018, 21:05

I had to winnow my list down from 18. Heee are the ones I wanted to vote for but had no room for...

Another Day
Jet
Heart of the Country
Silly Love Songs
With a Little Luck
Daytime Nightime Suffering
Mill of Kintyre
Wonderful Christmas
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 May 2018, 22:40

50 poll options was the max - I'd have likely provided more choices otherwise (not only do I see that some of your personal favorites were cruelly omitted, but I also note...only a few short hours later....that a few things I left out are in no measurable way "lesser" than a few of the selections I included...luckily, we are a resilient species).

I will also admit that 10 wasn't at all sufficient for me (and some absolute gems will have to live without my BCB vote). The me of this afternoon voted to the best of his abilities.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 07 May 2018, 22:43

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Wonderful Christmas

I thought I'd be the only one to vote for that.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 May 2018, 22:56

Voted for "Maybe I'm Amazed," "Too Many People," and "Let Me Roll It," as those are the no-brainers. The rest I'd have to think about.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 May 2018, 23:08

More or less in order ...

The Back Seat of My Car
Dear Boy
No Words
Listen to What the Main Said
Maybe I'm Amazed
Monkberry Moon Delight - write in
Every Night
Loup (1st Indian on the Moon) - write in
Momma Miss America - write in
Jet

Bubbling under ...

Junior's Farm
Kreen-Akrore
Venus and Mars
Junk
Let Me Roll It
Little Lamb Dragonfly

To me, choosing ten was not that difficult. There are dozens that I like a lot, but not that many that are earth-shatteringly great.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 May 2018, 23:34

sloopjohnc wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Wonderful Christmas

I thought I'd be the only one to vote for that.

I really don’t get the hate on that one.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 May 2018, 23:53

Some observations -

Something like "Monkberry Moon Delight" (which I certainly enjoy...I've played it in bands, etc.) derives a great deal of its virtue from performance (obviously there's also some McCartney production/arrangement magic there - the Mellotron Mk II Mandolin sound coming in for all of 10 crucial seconds, that kind of shit). At some point you think about all of the vocal stuff he does throughout (his screamiest bits, his mumbliest bits, his scattiest bits - a dynamic tour de force), and it really does seem to depict a side of him that isn't "the 'Yesterday' guy doing a job of work - writing a timeless melody and executing it", but a more studio-savvy performer who knows how to make the microphone react. Ala "Hey Jude", it largely emands its length and scale based on the strength of his improvisations.

A lot of my own votes today are based on a certain sonic character - things like "With a Little Luck", "Listen to What the Man Said" or "Arrow Through Me" sound like a guy with a real knack for sitting down (often/mostly/largely) by himself in a studio* with a gigantic joint and sculpting these unconventional impressionistic pictures in sound. Billy Joel**, for example, had access to all the same instruments and effects, but his stuff manages to sound a hundred times more conventional. Tracks like these are like some pillow/cloud/heavily cushioned landing pad of luxurious 1970s fat soft rock genius, no guitars hogging up the midrange...just some (for a time) unending series of unique and effective choices and combinations that, perhaps, indicate something about the extent of his role in the Beatles (as a record maker).***

*It was not long ago that the conventional wisdom birthed such widespread comedic tropes as Alan Partridge implicitly being a tit for preferring the sound of "two spliffs Macca" to the more celebrated collaboration for which he is ultimately venerated/known. This may no longer be as rigid and inflexible a baseline as it once seemed.

**McCartney lite in extremis?

***The other ex-Beatles certainly all had some number of solo triumphs (commercially and artistically), BUT...do I dare say that (certainly by the time of BOTR and beyond) one of the four, on average, seemed to routinely make more singular, seemingly purposeful records that popped a little more (consider the glorious sloppiness of "Band On the Run" in all of its ballsy grandeur - concurrently, his three former bandmates all increasingly sounded, comparatively, like guests on their own records).

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 May 2018, 00:04

Bent Fabric wrote:***The other ex-Beatles certainly all had some number of solo triumphs (commercially and artistically), BUT...do I dare say that (certainly by the time of BOTR and beyond) one of the four, on average, seemed to routinely make more singular, seemingly purposeful records that popped a little more (consider the glorious sloppiness of "Band On the Run" in all of its ballsy grandeur - concurrently, his three former bandmates all increasingly sounded, comparatively, like guests on their own records).[/size]

Maybe, in that McCartney always performed a majority of his own musical material (piano, keys, acoustic/12-string, bass, lead/bkup vocals, guitar, etc.), even when there was a "band" involved. So he is in all the cracks, not just, as you say, singing while some NY or London or LA studio people ostensibly play what Lennon/Harrison/Starr wanted. BUT when Lennon steps up to the mic, it always reeks of Lennonness, and I often prefer that to the sound McCartney makes. Harrison is a bit different, where the writing is so him that it all seems like coming out of his brain, and yet, the playing is very much other people's choices I'd guess.

I'd like to see solo Lennon get more of a revisionism now. Some is great, some is not, but the percentages aren't noticeably lower than McCartney's to these ears.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 May 2018, 00:33

To me it's striking how quickly Lennon and Harrison ran out of ideas/interest. There were wonderful things at the start of their solo careers but the decline was steep soon after. McCartney just seemed to have more stamina, more left in the songwriting tank.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 May 2018, 00:49

Hodgson's Tears wrote:To me it's striking how quickly Lennon and Harrison ran out of ideas/interest. There were wonderful things at the start of their solo careers but the decline was steep soon after. McCartney just seemed to have more stamina, more left in the songwriting tank.

People sometimes ask whether it's better to know what you're doing (know chord names, progressions, learn theory) or just get along on the power of inspiration. The example of McCartney's inspiration lasting longer, if true, could attest to the importance of having a bit of musical knowledge. By the time somebody like Lennon or even Harrison (though lead guitarist in The Beatles and though he used lots of chords, I don't think he ever understood music theory as well as McCartney) was running low on ideas, McCartney was still doing solid musical work with disco bass lines, horn arrangements, medleys, and the like. Even when songs started to be less great, he was able to employ his musicality to make them at least better or more interesting.

Or maybe he just enjoyed music more. Lennon said he was largely interested in it as a way to impress his self onto the world. I think PM just liked music.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 May 2018, 00:56

Only two other people have voted for "Venus & Mars/Rock Show?"

Hmm.....

Return to “Yakety Yak”