The Aristocats
6%
Robin Hood
5%

Total votes: 78

never/ever

Your favorite Disney animated feature

Postby never/ever » 24 Mar 2018, 09:05

I'm sure it has been done before but which ones of these classic feature length Disney-classics are your favorites? I used Robin Hood (1973) as a cut-off point.
With Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Alice, Cinderella and Jungle Book I obviously mean the original 20th-century cartoons and not the remakes from the last decade or so.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Your favorite Disney animated feature

Postby The Modernist » 24 Mar 2018, 09:25

The Aristocrats, Jungle Book and Fantasia for me. I haven't seen them since I was a kid though.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Mar 2018, 09:27

Never seen the last four in the list, but I voted for Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp (not that I'm dog-eyed or anything), and, as much to represent the era as anything else, Snow White
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 24 Mar 2018, 09:32

I only voted for The Jungle Book but I have a bit of a soft spot for Dumbo and Cinderella as well, purely based on my seeing them as a kid in the cinema.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 24 Mar 2018, 09:35

Fantasia - Alice in Wonderland - The Aristocats

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Mar 2018, 10:45

The poll was initiated when I watched Pinocchio earlier this evening, hadn't seen it in decades. I could not remember how dark it was in places.

Fantasia has been far and away been my favorite of the canon. Just like when I heard the story of Peter and the Wolf narrated to the music of Prokofiev, this was an introduction to a complete new world to me. The visually dramatic arrangements were amazing to me.

Dumbo I watched in the cinema, just like Bambi. In a time where these kind of movies were special, unlike the overflow of computer-animated movies, they seemed very personal and personable, there was a labour of love in every frame and detail that you can't get these days.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 26 Mar 2018, 13:04

No Aladdin? :o Disgraceful leaving it out.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 22:30

Although it was the first Disney movie I saw on the screen, Jungle Book was the first where the animation wasn't as perfect as the others.

I voted Pinocchio simply because of the superb animation, although it's kind of stiff, and Bambi because it combined both animation and character. To be fair though, Cinderella has probably the best comic characters in Jaq and Gus and probably the best character development of the earlier films.

This is a great book on Disney. It's long, but very entertaining.

Last edited by sloopjohnc on 25 Apr 2018, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 20 Apr 2018, 07:25

Dr Markus wrote:No Aladdin? :o Disgraceful leaving it out.

He does say the cut-off point is 1973.

The best of this lot are Pinocchio and Dumbo.

The worst is Robin Hood, the only Disney film where characters who should be human are played by animals.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Apr 2018, 08:19

Snow White, Fantasia & Dumbo.

All of them truly ground breaking.

Having read at least three different Disney biographies (including the brilliant Gabler book Sloop highlighted),in terms of animation it is simply astonishing what went into "Snow White" . The time taken and attention to detail is staggering. It's unquestionably one of the greatest works of art of the 20th Century.

"Fantasia" is technically nearly as brilliant - the marriage of real life and animation and music is still mindblowing.

"Dumbo" is actually my favourite, in terms of 'watchability'. It's a beautiful film, with a completely different animation style to that which preceded it. The pastel, almost art nouvaeu, style is just blissful.

Up to Bambi (how could I leave Bambi out?) Disney made five completely different, and revolutionary, films. They are all completely different from eachother stylistically, yet are undeniably Disney. From "Cinderella" onwards, the 'formula' took over and (whilst there were still great films) the actual artistic side of the films wasn't as thought provoking or challenging - they were stripped down versions of the previous films. Almost entirely because the cost of the process was so astronomically prohibitive that it just couldn't continue. But, for that golden period, Disney Studios was the hub of an extraordinary flourish of creativity and the pursuit of perfection that still sends a shiver down my spine.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

joels344

Postby joels344 » 24 Apr 2018, 01:29

Going Fantasia, Pinocchio, and Dumbo.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 24 Apr 2018, 02:29

Fantasia and Jingle Book

Last one was a tough call I like so many of them.
Went with Alice in Wonderland.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Apr 2018, 03:48

'Robin Hood' was my favorite as a kid. I had a book version of it.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 25 Apr 2018, 15:06

sloopjohnc wrote:Although it was the first Disney movie I saw on the screen, Jungle Book was the first where the animation wasn't as perfect as the others.

It's less fussy than its predecessors.
It didn't need to be as its characters, script and songs are stronger.

It is one of my favourite films of all time - never mind the Disney qualifier.
Lady and the Tramp and Peter Pan would be my other picks, I guess.
Phil Harris makes both The Aristocats and Robin Hood way more enjoyable than they would be without him.

I have strong love for the part animated Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the more recent Princess and the Frog, as well.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 25 Apr 2018, 18:36

I love all the love for Dumbo.
It's been my favourite since forever.
I love the fact that apparently, because animation was so new they were worried that bright colours and noises would over stimulate children, so that's why they alternate between bright scenes, and dark scenes. It's also remarkable for how short it is.

It is actually remarkable that one studio could be responsible for so many Classic films, that stand the test of time and give joy to so many generations.

I voted for Dumbo, Sleeping Beauty and the Jungle book.

Sleeping beauty I think has to be the most visually appealing as it's SO stylised. Jungle book has Such good songs.
Alice in Wonderland was a very near miss. I think it's treatment of the story was the very best. I love how it captures the spirit of the story without being a literal retelling. That part where she's washed up on shore, while the pointless caucus race runs her over, and the waves keep knocking her. The Dodo says "I say! You'll never get dry that way! Have to run with the other's you know"
And Alice can only lift her head above water for a second to say "Yes... but." because she's knocked over again.
Perfect metaphor for my life, most of the time.

"Stop kicking that mackerel" (Now I wonder if I should change my vote.)

Did you know it has the most songs of any Disney film?
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Apr 2018, 19:07

the song she sings at the beginning that goes "cats and rabbits, would reside in fancy little houses" is one of my favorite Disney movie songs.

Bambi is the only one I own on Blue-Ray and I'm known to go on & on about Dumbo but I'm going to make things easy on myself and just take the first three: Snow White, Pinocchio & Fantasia.

Unca Walt's circumstances led him to building a mighty machine. this machine's reach did not exceed it's grasp. these three films are as accomplished (in my opinion) as any in the sound era. The mouse built a house and what a solid and well furnished house it was! the sheer craft of this first three makes this an easy call for me.

I'm pretty much a life-long animation fan. I can remember watching "Mr.Magoo's christmas carol" or the wonderful wonderful cat before I can remember tying my own shoes. By my teenage years my fandom had entered an area of snobbery you might have encountered. by 14 or 15 years old, I had decided that Disney's "Pinocchio" was the absolute pinnacle of the animated feature. the detail of the thing and the depth of the beautiful multi-plane camera work blinded me to it's faults. I cited it as my favorite animated feature very nearly until my thirties. I had it in on in the front room over the weekend and I pretty much stand by this. No other animated feature that I've seen seems as accomplished artistically (to my way of thinking). it was more noticable to me than ever before that the quality I think the best animated features have is missing in "Pinocchio". this quality is heart.

"Pinocchio" has heart, mind you. the cricket has a certain amount of growth and Gepetto certainly seems to love Pinocchio for some reason. still, compared to "Snow White" or "Dumbo" it's pretty cold around the heart. the cuteness of the adorable animals seems a more superficial sort of cuteness. Snow White's turtle that always shows up too late and a baby elephant being BLOTTO are more the type of cuteness I respond to.

a seven year old boy came over while I had "Pinocchio" on and he barely looked up from his device to regard it. it may as well have been an opera or a cooking show but I guess that's really another discussion. let's just say that the beauty of a thing well crafted only gets you so far.

Still, it's enough for me since this is as close to a brief response as I seem capable these days.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Apr 2018, 19:23

there are parts of "Three Caballeros" that are pretty trippy too.
uggy poopy doody.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 25 Apr 2018, 20:10

Coco, for what it is worth, is brilliant.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Apr 2018, 11:03

K wrote:I'm still blown away by the psychedelic nature of the 'pink elephants on parade' scene from Dumbo. The music is magnificent, wigged out and macabre jazz that combines perfectly with off the wall visuals.
The elephant with elephant heads for arms and legs was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Absolutely. I've had this exact conversation with others before - they always go away, look at it again and come back with "Christ, i've never realised that before!".

If they weren't on LSD, they certainly had minds that foresaw its effects. Just checked it, and (Wiki):

LSD was first made by Albert Hofmann in Switzerland in 1938 from ergotamine, a chemical from the fungus ergot. The laboratory name for the compound was the acronym for the German Lyserg-säure-diäthylamid, followed by a sequential number: LSD-25.[13][15] Hofmann discovered its psychedelic properties in 1943.

So they were just very prescient (the film was released in 1941)............ :lol:
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Apr 2018, 11:07

A great piece on Pink Elephants here :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/a ... -elephants

I can't believe Pink Elephants on Parade exists. It's a five-minute indulgence in a film that lasts just over an hour. A bizarro squeal of throwaway surrealism that somehow becomes the turning point of Dumbo, the greatest animated film of all time.

Dumbo was made as Disney faced disaster. Pinocchio and Fantasia had flopped at the box office. The little story about a misfit elephant with bedsheet-sized ears was the quick, cheap money-spinner – a speedy knock-off of Helen Aberson and Harold Pearl's children's book that had to save the studio. There was no need to take a risk, to experiment or get weird. But the Disney team did anyway. Inspired by Dali and Jack London they decided to spike the punch, to plonk an extreme alcohol hallucination into the middle of a sweet children's story.

Pink Elephants arrives as Dumbo's at his lowest ebb. He's useless as a circus performer. His mum's been labelled insane and locked up. His only friend in the world is the elephant's worst nightmare: a mouse called Timothy, who prescribes a drink of water, without realising it's been spiked with champagne.

Dumbo's first drink makes him hiccup. Then he starts blowing bubbles that transmute into elephants. They start to play a song. That drags us into the grotesque. The big elephant stamps on the little one. A belly dancer turns into the sun, turns into an eye. There's a chorus of elephants with trumpets for trunks. A swooning, ice-skating waltz. An electrifying merengue that explodes into a packed dancefloor of swaying elephant flesh. The fourth wall gets pulverised - the Technicolor pachyderms march around the edge of the screen. The score – by Disney regulars Oliver Wallace and Frank Churchill – throws up a cocktail of twisted lounge music. There are elements of blues, waltz and jazz, but they're all distorted and passed through so quickly that locking into the groove is like trying to grab bubbles.

Dumbo watches all this in a boozy stupor, but it makes me twitchy. I feel sick, even before the bossanova stomp of the final section rattles into a cacophony and the whole dream tumbles in on itself.

This isn't a modern, right-on Disney movie. Dumbo wakes up in a tree with a hangover. Timothy wonders how they got up there and then realises – it was the ears! Dumbo can fly! But it's not Dumbo's self-belief that leads him to salvation. It's not pluck, nor guts, nor persistence. It's booze that unlocks his gift.

That's a terrible, adult message. As good an example of Disney's darkness as any. We talk now about mainstream animations pleasing parents and kids. About the ability of the best cartoons to speak in two languages simultaneously. That's presumed to mean that an adult joke can be slipped into a children's movie. But Pink Elephants does the same thing with fear. It's a hostile and alienating piece of film-making. Fascinating and terrifying to kids and grown-ups alike. I can't believe it exists. But I'm so glad it does.
Cocaine

Return to “Screenadelica”