Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby Lord Rother » 19 Mar 2018, 17:06

It’s all about the managers.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 19 Mar 2018, 19:31

borofan wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Man Utd have a super squad. If the managers swapped jobs I honestly believe Man Utd would beat Man City.

Really? I'd take the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero and Kompany over anything United have. I'd probably swap De Gea, but that's about all.

They are looking great this season (although Kompany isn't really a fixture) but most of those players have been fairly inconsistent over the last 2-3 years though. Player for player I'd still say it's pretty close between the two teams and generally I'd agree that on paper Man Utd would look like a team that could win the league. In fact it's not even really a question - Man City have been in scintillating form and look set to break all sorts of records, and in most normal seasons Utd would be still in contention at this stage. Man Utd fans didn't have too mcuh to cheer about for 26 years - the ones I know generally don't feel entitled to anything so not sure what that means anyway.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Mar 2018, 12:19

I don't think the fans are complaining about the glory days being gone. That rant Jose gave shows he doesn't quite get it. Yeah they're pissed they're out of the European cup, but it's the manner of the way the got knocked out, and the manner in which they play in general. Goals and wins might be up from last year etc etc, still doesn't mean you're exciting to watch. That's what Jose doesn't quite get, yet.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Mar 2018, 21:06

As much as I hate man utd, I can't make up my mind if Lingard is a good player or not in general, not just on recent form.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Mar 2018, 09:40

He seems to make things happen alright, rarely goes backwards. He’s growing on me.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 16 Apr 2018, 07:07

Man Utd fans are delighted that Mourinho signed a 4 year contract recently.

Lots to look forward to.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Apr 2018, 20:12

United did well today. Fell behind but got a goal, snuffed out Kane and got another. Sanchez had his best game for them.

As long as United continue to win things, Mourinho will be there I'm sure.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Apr 2018, 20:54

They didn't look like they stood a chance after the first twenty minutes, didn't look in trouble for the next seventy. That's the Harry Kane we're going to see in the world cup, isn't it? No pace, no trickery, never looked like scoring.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Apr 2018, 20:59

Yeah I'm tempted to think that too.

Not yet fit, trying too hard.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 05 May 2018, 09:08

More player bashing from Mourinho last night.

After playing Rashford and Martial last night he says “for 10 months I get asked 'why always Lukaku? Why always Lukaku? Why always this player?' That guy doesn't have a chance to start, the other one is on the bench'.

You know why now. Some individuals are not as good as we think they are."

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 19 May 2018, 19:06

Paul Pogba.

£89m.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 19 May 2018, 20:25

Rashford looked like he’s playing depressed.

Easy to forget how superb he looked when he came in under LVG, Mourinho has damn near killed his natural talent and has certainly killed his exuberance.

He simply has to get away from Mourinho.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 May 2018, 07:15

If you're 1-0 down in a Cup final with 85 minutes gone, and you've still got both Matic and Herrera on the pitch (and Mata on the bench) you deserve what you get,

Chelsea were poor. Man Utd were pathetic.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 20 May 2018, 09:06

I thought Man Utd were thoroughly entertaining and for about 30 minutes in the second half, they were stretching Chelsea, whey were moving the ball fast they were creating openings, they forced a few saves, it just didn't go their way. There was no need to make any changes up until the 75th minute which was when Chelsea finally got hold of the ball for more than 2 minutes and took the sting out of Man Utd's attack. They reverted back to pointless possession after that.
I thought taking out Rashford for Martial was probably a bad move, given that Rashford was looking better as time went on and Martial really offered nothing. And Pogba was really good in the second half, makes you wonder what the fuck goes on and he goes missing repeatedly for large chunks of any game.
I run out of talent

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 May 2018, 09:11

WG Kaspar wrote:I thought Man Utd were thoroughly entertaining and for about 30 minutes in the second half, they were stretching Chelsea, whey were moving the ball fast they were creating openings, they forced a few saves, it just didn't go their way. There was no need to make any changes up until the 75th minute which was when Chelsea finally got hold of the ball for more than 2 minutes and took the sting out of Man Utd's attack. They reverted back to pointless possession after that.
I thought taking out Rashford for Martial was probably a bad move, given that Rashford was looking better as time went on and Martial really offered nothing. And Pogba was really good in the second half, makes you wonder what the fuck goes on and he goes missing repeatedly for large chunks of any game.

Thouroughly entertaining?

Seriously?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 May 2018, 09:18

He must be on some seriously good shit.
Cocaine

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 May 2018, 09:37

Look at Rashford, look at Martial, look at Pogba, look at Luke Shaw..... all great young talent who have become shadows of their former selves. He’s even doing the same thing to Sanchez.

Man Utd have won a lot of games this season, 2nd in the league, FA Cup finalists, but Mourinho has created a boring team, stifling naturally gifted players who now look scared to make mistakes because when they do they know they might get hung out to dry in public.

If flair players are scared to make mistakes they become ineffective.

He is becoming a footballing dinosaur.

And having listened to a few hours of phone ins, read newspapers etc. I honestly haven’t heard / seen a single observer (journalists, ex- players, supporters) in favour of Mourinho.

Even the board must now know that they need to get rid. He is harming the brand and taking the club backwards.

They cannot allow it to continue so will cut their losses soon. Poch to take over....

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 May 2018, 09:33

WG Kaspar wrote:I thought taking out Rashford for Martial was probably a bad move, given that Rashford was looking better as time went on and Martial really offered nothing. And Pogba was really good in the second half, makes you wonder what the fuck goes on and he goes missing repeatedly for large chunks of any game.

I thought Rashford was really poor throughout, the backwards steps he's taken under Mourinho is worrying. He'd be behind Lindgard in current form for England reckoning, which you'd never have thought given the impact he had in his early appearances. Only Ashley Young ever looked threatening from the wings - which may show that Mourinho knows how to make an old dog learn new tricks, rather than improve the talent of young but inexperienced. Pogba - I generally blame Mourinho again. He seems to want him to play deep, and form part of a defensive midfield trio. Pogba can take the game by the scruff of the neck, but I reckon when he does burst forward, he's generally disobeying team orders. But when he does have that freedom, he's a game changer, and looks genuinely like Utd's most dangerous player running in from midfield, looking for a one-two or a shot from the edge of the box.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2018, 09:50

To be fair, Pogba is now playing in exactly the position (left hand side of a midfield three) he himself said was his best. He had an okay second half (not sure why he's getting this acclaim he seems to have attracted, however) but, nonetheless, he looks to be a huge waste of money. And he missed the best clear cut chance of the whole game, without even hitting the target.

Young looked good until he actually had to deliver the ball - then I think his desire to turn back onto his right foot became apparent. He did better than most Man U players but that really is damning with faint praise.

Rashford looks completely devoid of confidence to me - he hasn't became a bad player by the age of 20 but if your boss continually and publicly criticises you, that's always likely to happen. He needs to get away from that atmosphere immediately.

I'm not sure exactly what Lingard's role is still but he was woeful on Saturday. Contributed absolutely sweet fuck all.

The worst player on the pitch offensively though was Sanchez - an utterly incompetent and frustrating performance. He was almost anonymous and when he did show up, he was either giving the ball away, getting in the way or moaning at his team mates. I've never been his biggest fan and Saturday was typical of why.

Lastly, God fucking help us if Phil Jones actually has to play anytime during the World Cup. He is a penalty and/or sending off waiting to happen every single time he's on the pitch.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 May 2018, 10:16

He's got a season hasn't he?

If things don't improve markedly then I think they'll jettison him and get Simeone.

Return to “Sporting Life”