Dylan.
Kinks.
Clapton.

But lots of my albums here.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Best act of 1966

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 20:11

Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:14

algroth wrote:I went with Byrds, Beach Boys and Mothers, but the best act of this year is clearly Trane.

For Ascension and Meditation? Yeah, I figured not enough BCBers knew those albums though. Just like Phil Ochs, The Association, Small Faces (though I probably should've included them), Everly Bros, Wilson Pickett, Hollies, etc.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:16

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2018, 20:22

oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes. The Who and Spoonful had some great singles that year too. I filled up with Dylan and the Byrds, but could have been any number of others with nothing but albums to choose between
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:24

Quaco wrote:
*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:Depressing - but not altogether surprising - to see the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle beating the more colourful Love, 13th Floor Elevators and the Monkees.

It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.

Are you kidding? I'd say "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer" are as good as any other two hits they ever had.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2018, 20:26

Matt Wilson wrote:
Quaco wrote:

Are you kidding? I'd say "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer" are as good as any other two hits they ever had.

Hell Yeah. I should have voted for them rather than Dylan

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:27

Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes. The Who and Spoonful had some great singles that year too. I filled up with Dylan and the Byrds, but could have been any number of others with nothing but albums to choose between

You're right! I'd forgotten they released two album in '66. Oh well, I think if I edit it, all the votes will be lost.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Apr 2018, 20:27

Quaco wrote:It wasn't an especially good year for The Monkees, but it was (IMO) the insipid Simeon and Carbuncle's best.

The Monkees were an incredible singles band, but their albums were always a bit of a let down.

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme, remains a very satisfying listen and I agree it is S & G’s best.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:32

Matt Wilson wrote:
Quaco wrote:

Two great songs and a not-great debut album. Their 1967, however, was amazing!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 20:32

Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes.

They have no votes because CLOWN TROUSERS only gave us FIVE VOTES

and in a poll that features huge favourites such as the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Beach Boys and Dylan, what did you expect?

travesty indeed
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:37

The discipline is paring it down to your top five, John - not just voting for all the artists you like.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 20:42

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:
Rayge wrote:oh fuck it I voted for the Mothers when I meant to go for the Mamas and the Papas, who had by far the best run of singles for that year: California Dreamin', Monday Monday, Words Of Love and Look Through My Window. What a fucking travesty they have no votes.

They have no votes because CLOWN TROUSERS only gave us FIVE VOTES

and in a poll that features huge favourites such as the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Beach Boys and Dylan, what did you expect?

travesty indeed

Carole King, 1970.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 16 Apr 2018, 20:49

Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, Who, and Stones. Anything else is madness, unless you want to make a case that Dylan edges up there. Most of these acts were better the year before or after. Honorable mention to the Spoonful, who don't make it up to this exalted level, but had by far their best and most active year.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 20:58

toomanyhatz wrote:Beatles, Beach Boys, Kinks, Who, and Stones. Anything else is madness, unless you want to make a case that Dylan edges up there. Most of these acts were better the year before or after. Honorable mention to the Spoonful, who don't make it up to this exalted level, but had by far their best and most active year.

I don't think one needs to 'make the case' for Blonde on Blonde.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 21:01

Matt Wilson wrote:The discipline is paring it down to your top five, John - not just voting for all the artists you like.

But many people's top five in this particular poll will be the same.

Whatever.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Apr 2018, 21:02

I don't think the top five would change all that much if I gave you ten votes.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 21:10

True, as most people would still vote for the big ones even if they were enjoying votes 6-10 more.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Apr 2018, 21:10

Matt, next time, for John, just have people vote for their sixth most favorite band!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2018, 21:11

*FRESH 'N' SEXY* wrote:They have no votes because CLOWN TROUSERS only gave us FIVE VOTES

Didn't expect - this is canon conformity central - anyone other than those to be winning, but I kind of hoped there would be some kind of breakout in favour of the greatest of all mid-sixties vocal groups, especially as I accidentally gave their vote to the Mothers. I just thought a bit of spread around would be nice, that some among the grazers would, like me, see this as an opportunity to big up a slightly more egregious aspect of their taste, rather than chew the rancid canon cud one more time. I mean, this was the year I turned 18, peak engagement, and none of those acts are duds: the Airplane's debut wasn't all that, and probably deserves 0, but the Springfield's debut was pretty fucking ace, even sodding Donovan had a great year.
So, hope sprang, and crashed.
BCBlife

Return to “Yakety Yak”