Marillion.

Do talk back
trans-chigley express

Re: Marillion.

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Apr 2018, 08:40

Hugh wrote:I’ve actually seen Fish lauded as a lyrical genius elsewhere on the internet. I took an instant dislike to their poor man's Genesis nonsense early on so so I had never heard a full album by the Fish-era band or anything at all afterwards.

There was a possibility recently that I was going to interview Fish about a piece of hifi gear he has recently endorsed - he lives about half a dozen miles down the road from me - so I thought I had better give Misplaced Childhood and Clutching At Straws a listen and I still couldnt get through them. The interview didn’t come off which is probably just as well.

I actually had the same reservations as you and largely dismissed them initially but was won over by Misplaced Childhood which I had to begrudgingly admit was tremendous. It’s still my favourite by them.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 Apr 2018, 10:11

its not as horribly overwrought as Script
I play it occasionally
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Apr 2018, 10:40

The Slider wrote:its not as horribly overwrought as Script
I play it occasionally

He knows, you know.

;)

NMB

Postby NMB » 13 Apr 2018, 15:26

soundchaser wrote:
I play it occasionally

He knows, you know.

;)

But he's got problems.

A personal favourite that nobody's mentioned yet is their last but one, Sounds That Can't Be Made, I thought that was excellent.

A caveat with the Hogarth albums is that they're not instantly accessible, they take a few plays to get under your skin. So don't give something half a listen and then dismiss it.
turn on, tune in, nod off

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Apr 2018, 18:05

NMB wrote:
A caveat with the Hogarth albums is that they're not instantly accessible, they take a few plays to get under your skin. So don't give something half a listen and then dismiss it.

Thanks. I’ll persevere, but the Hogarth era songs I’ve played so far haven’t really grabbed me.

And then I played Cluthing At Straws and was mightily impressed: I’ll definitely be buying that one.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 13 Apr 2018, 19:10

Just couldn't get my head around Fish's overwrought vocals and the play acting to accentuate them. Actually saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon early on at which point I realised I didn't like them.
Went to the loo halfway through and went out the wrong door and found myself in the street... sadly I got back in.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

NMB

Postby NMB » 13 Apr 2018, 19:24

Fuck’s sake, Fish left in 1988 ! But he’s still the only one anybody bases their opinion on.
turn on, tune in, nod off

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 13 Apr 2018, 19:32

is the new fella as much of a tit?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Apr 2018, 19:38

NMB wrote:Fuck’s sake, Fish left in 1988 ! But he’s still the only one anybody bases their opinion on.

There could be a reason for that.

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 13 Apr 2018, 21:24

If you have Misplaced Childhood and Script, then the only other Fish-era album you might need is the B-side compilation with Charting the Single, Three Boats Down from the Candy and in particular Grendel. Fugazi was a bit boring and Clutching at Straws wasn't boring enough: they seemed to have a go at writing songs for it.

The Hogarth era never really appealed, but the newest one is supposed to be good.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Apr 2018, 21:28

This picture says it all really doesn't it?

The cunt can't even be bothered to dress properly. Turns up to his own gig wearing something he nicked from Sports Direct.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Apr 2018, 22:06

NMB wrote:
soundchaser wrote:
I play it occasionally

He knows, you know.

;)

But he's got problems.

A personal favourite that nobody's mentioned yet is their last but one, Sounds That Can't Be Made, I thought that was excellent.

Yes that's another good one from the H era. Then again I like something from every album.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Apr 2018, 22:09

NMB wrote:Fuck’s sake, Fish left in 1988 ! But he’s still the only one anybody bases their opinion on.

Honestly I don't get it either. Marillion have gotten better over the years especially live. Steve Rothery is a very underrated guitarist that no one talks about. He a strange style and tone but it works for Marillion.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Apr 2018, 22:11

Toby wrote:

The cunt can't even be bothered to dress properly. Turns up to his own gig wearing something he nicked from Sports Direct.

Who the F*ck cares what a musician is wearing, damn fashionistas

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Apr 2018, 22:19

Graham Murakami wrote:If you have Misplaced Childhood and Script, then the only other Fish-era album you might need is the B-side compilation with Charting the Single, Three Boats Down from the Candy and in particular Grendel. Fugazi was a bit boring and Clutching at Straws wasn't boring enough: they seemed to have a go at writing songs for it.

The Hogarth era never really appealed, but the newest one is supposed to be good.

The Singles-box which features all the Fish-era tracks you mention is where its at- terrific stuff from the first four albums. Definitely part of the prog-family in hose days.

With their latest album F.E.A.R. (its an acronym) I'm afraid they failed badly. lots of electronic textures backing Hogarth's dramatics and not many tunes that settle in the brain. The biggest crime is the underuse of Steve Rothery, one of the finest, smoothest guitar players- usually a dominating, driving force of their sound, now playing second fiddle to Mark Kelly and H's keyboard noodlings.
Ironically, the solo-album Rothery released two years ago is a snoozefest too. The guy needs to get angry again.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 13 Apr 2018, 23:30

I had barely heard of them til I met my bro-in-law, circa 1998. I'm still not familiar with most of their catalogue, but I do like something about this cut ~

I used it in the Prog Cup a couple of years ago, and it did well.

Here's a live version with Fish wearing what looks like someone's sewing project gone bad~

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 15 Apr 2018, 18:57

never/ever wrote:
Graham Murakami wrote:If you have Misplaced Childhood and Script, then the only other Fish-era album you might need is the B-side compilation with Charting the Single, Three Boats Down from the Candy and in particular Grendel. Fugazi was a bit boring and Clutching at Straws wasn't boring enough: they seemed to have a go at writing songs for it.

The Singles-box which features all the Fish-era tracks you mention is where its at- terrific stuff from the first four albums. Definitely part of the prog-family in hose days.

With their latest album F.E.A.R. (its an acronym) I'm afraid they failed badly. lots of electronic textures backing Hogarth's dramatics and not many tunes that settle in the brain. The biggest crime is the underuse of Steve Rothery, one of the finest, smoothest guitar players- usually a dominating, driving force of their sound, now playing second fiddle to Mark Kelly and H's keyboard noodlings.
Ironically, the solo-album Rothery released two years ago is a snoozefest too. The guy needs to get angry again.

Despite your reservations, FEAR was very well received by PROG magazine and its readers, which may or may not be a recommendation. I think it’s fine, but not top 5 Marillion. Top 5 would be
Afraid Of Sunlight
Season’s End
Marbles
Brave
..and another one.
“Erratic associate member”

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 15 Apr 2018, 19:25

Toby wrote:

it's a Scotland football top for what it's worth.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 16 Apr 2018, 09:17

Jeemo wrote:it's a Scotland football top for what it's worth.

About £25, probably.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Apr 2018, 09:41

:o

humour!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”