The Scars and Scottish post punk

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

The Scars and Scottish post punk

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Apr 2018, 21:20

I've been listening to 'em quite a bit recently. Sometimes they can be a bit gauche and gothy but there's some really good stuff there. I like it when they go pop like this one....

Nice to see Edinburgh but I don't know what they were doing with that look.

or this...

and this...

But then there's snotty shit like this which is good too...

Although that's missing from the Author! Author! reissue from a few years back. They showed real promise but seemed to just vanish.

Then you've got Orange Juice, Josef K etc. Others I'm sure but I'm not familiar with them bar the odd tune like Rip It Up.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

jimboo

Re: The Scars and Scottish post punk

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:25

Great band (pity about the clothes) fire engines , josef k and postcard-fast records. You should watch the two big gold dream films Dougie , excellent and simply thrilling times !
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 12 Apr 2018, 21:30

jimboo wrote:Great band (pity about the clothes) fire engines , josef k and postcard-fast records. You should watch the two big gold dream films Dougie , excellent and simply thrilling times !

I read a glowing review on that movie a month ago. I'd like to find it somewhere.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Apr 2018, 21:33

It's a pity Nogbad didn't stick around this site after imdb shutdown, he was a walking encyclopedia of obscure Scottish bands. Of the mentioned bands, I've got a lot of time for Josef K's The Only Fun in Town.

One of my minor obsessions is Robert Rental, who only released a handful of things, and solo only two singles, including the lovely Double Heart:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:34

It was on amazon and sometimes on iplayer,would be surprised if it isn't on that you tube.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 12 Apr 2018, 21:35

Fucking hell Robert rental!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Apr 2018, 23:24

The Scars were really good and should have been much bigger. Another shout too for The Fire Engines, they had a great sound even though their career seemed to finish before it even got started.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Apr 2018, 23:51

I saw the Scars support The Human League when both were still "arty" other band on the bill were Boots for Dancing. Jo Callis was a member of them and then joined the Human League later. The Scars were fantastic live then, their album was brilliant had fantastic reviews and sold fuck all. The label they were on didn't seem able to give them the promotion they needed to break through.

Also saw Josef K support The Cure, I found them a bit dull, no real variation in their material.

The Postcard crowd used to hang about the record shop I worked in. One guy I worked with who was in the Pastels shared a flat with Alan Horne. At the time it didn't seem that important just some local bands making their own records.

There was a signing frenzy for a while. Simple Minds were doing ok and then there was The Cuban Heels, Shakin Pyramids, The Zones, The Headboys all got major deals. The Blue Nile had a false start releasing a single on RSO who then shut up shop days later.y
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 13 Apr 2018, 00:47

I was living in Scotland at the time, and loved that there were decent bands in my backyard (ie Edinburgh). The Scars were always my favourites, and Author! Author! was one of my big LPs of 1981. How All About You was not a massive chart hit I'll never know.....

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 13 Apr 2018, 00:50

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with 'gauche and gothy' .....

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 13 Apr 2018, 05:49

Has anybody read This Is Memorial Device? A novel about the (fictional) post-punk scene in Airdrie. I was very impressed - a good music book (even if none of the bands are real) but also a great story of small-town youth at a particular time.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Yakety Yak”