your top 30 TV programmes

..and why not?
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Re: your top 30 TV programmes

Postby The Write Profile » 11 Apr 2018, 08:21

never/ever wrote:29. Clive James On TV - 1 pt

I should also say that Clive James's latest book, Play All, about the "box set" era of television (Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men et al) is a wonderfully funny and casually insightful read. He really is a helluva critic, he has a knack of summarising things in the sharpest of fashions. It's definitely worth picking up. Given his recent health troubles, we should treasure him while we still have him.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Apr 2018, 09:45

The Write Profile wrote:

I should also say that Clive James's latest book, Play All, about the "box set" era of television (Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men et al) is a wonderfully funny and casually insightful read. He really is a helluva critic, he has a knack of summarising things in the sharpest of fashions. It's definitely worth picking up. Given his recent health troubles, we should treasure him while we still have him.

Thanks! I need to get some of his writings- I keep on putting it off. And you're right, treasure him while we can.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

`

Postby ` » 11 Apr 2018, 10:23

never/ever wrote:
The Write Profile wrote:

Thanks! I need to get some of his writings- I keep on putting it off. And you're right, treasure him while we can.

Totally agree. Got the CJ on TV set a year or so ago. Shame there wasn't a second volume although there seem to be a few bits and bobs up on YT.

If you love CJ, you really should check out the lyrics he wrote for Pete Atkin from the 70s onwards.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Apr 2018, 17:41

Quaco wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:My votes were:

Twin Peaks - 25

I never knew this about you!...

It changed telly forever, plus was eccentric and weird and inaccessible at precisely the same time as I was at my absolute most pretentious (yes, worse even than today). Great acting, amazing atmosphere, brilliant soundtrack. It was like a telly show woke the world up a little bit. No one had ever seen anything like that before, it was the closest thing my post-punk generation had to a cultural revolution.
Plus, it was just really enjoyable (before it went completely bonkers).
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Apr 2018, 18:21

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Quaco wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:My votes were:

Twin Peaks - 25

I never knew this about you!...

It changed telly forever, plus was eccentric and weird and inaccessible at precisely the same time as I was at my absolute most pretentious (yes, worse even than today). Great acting, amazing atmosphere, brilliant soundtrack. It was like a telly show woke the world up a little bit. No one had ever seen anything like that before, it was the closest thing my post-punk generation had to a cultural revolution.

Yes - there really was no precedent. The closest thing was maybe something like The Prisoner, but that was a retrospective discovery ( for many of us anyway when Channel 4 repeated them in the 80s) and so didn't have the same excitement as tuning in weekly to something that, as you say, was breaking all the rules.
I rewatched series one and two recently and it still holds up brilliantly well. Series two (apart from a couple of dodgy episodes) is far better than its general reputation suggests.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Apr 2018, 18:27

The Modernist wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Quaco wrote:I never knew this about you!...

Yes - there really was no precedent. The closest thing was maybe something like The Prisoner, but that was a retrospective discovery ( for many of us anyway when Channel 4 repeated them in the 80s) and so didn't have the same excitement as tuning in weekly to something that, as you say, was breaking all the rules.
I rewatched series one and two recently and it still holds up brilliantly well. Series two (apart from a couple of dodgy episodes) is far better than its general reputation suggests.

Agreed, it was our Prisoner or something. Tuning in each week without fail. I haven't reassessed -- I'm glad it holds up.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Apr 2018, 18:41

Fills my heart with joy to read that
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Apr 2018, 18:59

The Modernist wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Quaco wrote:I never knew this about you!...

Season 2 really does lose its way big style after you find out who killed Laura and there are reasons for that of course but even at its worst it was still entertaining. The opening stretch of season 2 up to that point is great though and of course the final episode is one of the weirdest, most head spinningly wonderful things telly has ever seen.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

`

Postby ` » 12 Apr 2018, 08:24

In no particular order within their two points bands...

1=

The Sopranos
Twilight Zone (original one)
The Avengers
The Prisoner
Our Friends in the North
I, Caligula
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
The Wednesday Play
The World At War

11=

Star Trek
Better Call Saul
Spiral
Gomorrah
Patriot
Phil Silvers Show (aka Bilko)
Fawlty Towers
Hancock
Father Ted
Justified
The Americans
West Wing
Wire
Boys from the Blackstuff
The Thick of It
Peep Show
League of Gentlemen
Mad Men
The Shield
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 12 Apr 2018, 09:23

Goat Boy wrote:
Season 2 really does lose its way big style after you find out who killed Laura and there are reasons for that of course but even at its worst it was still entertaining. The opening stretch of season 2 up to that point is great though and of course the final episode is one of the weirdest, most head spinningly wonderful things telly has ever seen.

Yes, much of season two works pretty well as a comedy, which is what it became before Lynch turned up again to reintroduce the darkness.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Apr 2018, 14:35

Most of mine have already been mentioned. The only ones I don't think I've seen on here yet are Beck and Solsidan (Swedish series), Miss Marple (Joan Hickson series), Poirot (conservative delight), Unsolved Mysteries (I'd record every episode), Sunset Beach (my favourite trash series) and Ray Cokes Most Wanted (I'd maybe put Toby Amies' Alternative Nation in there as well).

The others for me are the usual suspects

Buffy
Simpsons
Twin Peaks
Mad Men
Forbrydelsen
Bron
GoT
The Office
Freaks and Geeks
Daily Show
Have I Got New For You?
Frasier
Detectorists
Reginald Perrin
Scrubs
Black Mirror
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 13 Apr 2018, 15:19

Ray Cokes! broadcasting genius
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Apr 2018, 15:23

oh and Nevermind the Buzzcocks - Lamarr/Amstell era - and possibly They Think It's All Over or the early years of Question of Sport.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Apr 2018, 18:24

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Ray Cokes! broadcasting genius

he was brilliant. whatever happened to him?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Apr 2018, 18:40

Jeemo wrote:
Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:Ray Cokes! broadcasting genius

he was brilliant. whatever happened to him?

I just looked him up - he's written a book, but seems to be keeping a relatively low profile in Belgium these days. He's just turned 60!

He was brilliant, I agree. Nobody could hold together a show like Most Wanted like Ray. They don't come much more likeable, natural and funny.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Apr 2018, 21:36

Q!

I might have included that - completely forgot it existed.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Apr 2018, 05:35

9 Fawlty Towers
9 X-Files
9 The Simpsons
8 Monty Python
8 Black Adder
7 Police Squad!
6 Top of the Pops
5 Doctor Who
5 The Prisoner
5 QI
5 Inspector Morse
5 Life On Earth
5 The Day Today
5 Threads
5 The Nazis-A Warning From History
4 Roots
4 The Avengers
4 The Sweeny
4 The Two Ronnies
4 The Living Planet
4 Match of the Day
4 Sherlock
4 Twin Peaks
4 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
3 Columbo
3 Father Ted
3 The Office (UK & US version)
3 Tiswas
3 Tales of the Unexpected
3 Minder

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Apr 2018, 05:48

fange wrote:Honestly, some of the biggest laughs i've had watching TV shows since my kids were born have been while watching Spongebob! And now that they're in their teens, we quote Spongebob lines to each other when something in real life reminds us of the show. It holds a really special place for me.

I loved watching it with my son when he was younger. Some other shows too like Adventure Time. I may well have included in my list if I'd remembered it.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Apr 2018, 05:50

Nikki Gradual wrote:The Comic Strip presents - 2

I thought about this but decided it was too inconsistent. The good episodes were very good though, almost worth including for Five Go Mad In Dorset alone

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2018, 09:06

trans-chigley express wrote:
fange wrote:Honestly, some of the biggest laughs i've had watching TV shows since my kids were born have been while watching Spongebob! And now that they're in their teens, we quote Spongebob lines to each other when something in real life reminds us of the show. It holds a really special place for me.

I loved watching it with my son when he was younger. Some other shows too like Adventure Time. I may well have included in my list if I'd remembered it.

Yeah, 'Adventure Time' was fun, 'Regular Show' too.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Screenadelica”