Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac!

Do talk back
Spock!

Re: Neil Finn joins Fleetwood Mac!

Postby Spock! » 10 Apr 2018, 14:49

Weston Drury, Jnr. wrote:'dying man requests services of old whore for one last piddle'

Don't need the aged madam. Just ask the barkeep.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2018, 16:58

Six String wrote:Oh, the Hoffman forum will be squealing like school girls.

:lol:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2018, 17:04

Diamond Dog wrote:As a self-confessed Neil nut, I hoped upon hope that this wasn't true.
Sadly it is. I don;t see how he gains one single piece of anything good from the whole shabby experience.

The great man has lost his way.

I disagree. I wouldn't call it a good move, but I'd call it an interesting move. I'd like to see what he does with Mike Campbell, who really enhanced Tom Petty's songs and Christine McVie, another good songwriter.

Lindsey Buckingham has been pretty out critically well-received albums for years, probably sleeps on a mattress full of $1,000 bills and doesn't need the work, money or acclaim.

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this and I don't really give a shit about these things for the most part. I'm a Neil Finn fan, not an obsessive by any means, so I don't listen to his stuff with rose-colored ears. I don't think his recent stuff has been a patch on his Crowded House years and could give his songs new life.

robertff

Postby robertff » 10 Apr 2018, 17:10

Think I'll reserve judgement, not the first time they've changed their lineup and probably not their last.

Been a fan since their earliest formation, which I saw in a tiny ballroom in Norwich, the changes have never put me off them. Certainly enjoyed 'Behind The Mask' without LB, although 'Time', with Dave Mason, was a little harder to swallow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Apr 2018, 17:13

When was the last time FM released an album? I assume Neil is just along for concert duties.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Apr 2018, 17:18

exactamundo. it's like Ringo's All Starr Band. I'm guessing Randy Bachman wasn't available. :p
Mick Fleetwood seems like a major control freak and so does LB. I'm amazed they've gone this long without somebody getting pushed out of a window.
uggy poopy doody.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Apr 2018, 17:21

Charlie O. wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Weird. Will they play "Something So Strong" in concert now?

"History Never Repeats" might be more apt.

I was thinking "Don't Dream It's Over" and they can show Lindsay's face on the big screen.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 17:21

sloopjohnc wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:As a self-confessed Neil nut, I hoped upon hope that this wasn't true.
Sadly it is. I don;t see how he gains one single piece of anything good from the whole shabby experience.

I disagree. I wouldn't call it a good move, but I'd call it an interesting move. I'd like to see what he does with Mike Campbell, who really enhanced Tom Petty's songs and Christine McVie, another good songwriter.

Lindsey Buckingham has been pretty out critically well-received albums for years, probably sleeps on a mattress full of $1,000 bills and doesn't need the work, money or acclaim.

I'm looking forward to what comes out of this and I don't really give a shit about these things for the most part. I'm a Neil Finn fan, not an obsessive by any means, so I don't listen to his stuff with rose-colored ears. I don't think his recent stuff has been a patch on his Crowded House years and could give his songs new life.

Okay, it's an 'interesting' move. But not a progressive one, nor one that can (for me) do his material any good. Are they going to play any of his stuff- has that been confirmed? If so, I fucking dread it. I really see no natural connection between FM and Neil Finn - and I like Fleetwood Mac well enough too. It looks like Ray Wilson joining Genesis, or Paul Rodgers joining Queen. Just a seriously disjointed, thrown-together-for-whatever-reason affair.

I don't listen with rose coloured ears either - I've openly said I didn't think much of the last album and whilst all of the others have tracks I like, there's really nothing that has been 'indispensable' since the second Finn Bros collaboration (maybe therein lies a tale) in 2005.

I'm not altogether sure why Finn wants to be the karaoke singer for Fleetwood Mac, but I fail to see how it moves his career forward in any way. This is going to end after one tour, with an embarrassing split and (probably) acrimony.
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 10 Apr 2018, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Apr 2018, 17:22

"Buttloads of money" might be seen as a good thing to gain, by certain people.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 17:23

That's all I can see as justification too.
Cocaine

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Apr 2018, 17:32

Charlie O. wrote:

I'm guessing that he's a long-time fan. So there's that.

I'm guessing, too, that he stands to make a a good bit of money (theoretically), and maybe even get his name known to a lot of people who otherwise might never have heard of him. So there's that.

While we're at it, I'm also guessing that he knows that this is probably a very temporary thing, so it's not going to put him off his creative endeavors for long, nor is it likely to seriously damage his credibility with most "Neil nuts".

Yeah I think that's how I feel about it. I'm not a massive fan of either Finn or FM but, I don't begrudge the guy a chance to play some songs he likes for a few months, and make enough payload to fund the next five projects he really wants to do. I don't know anything about his finances but I would be willing to believe he is not "set for life" from his past work, still needs to work for a living.

And for that matter, I can understand FM members wanting to hit the road for another big payday, and if the fans don't care about Lindsay not being there, they don't either.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2018, 17:50

bobzilla77 wrote:

"Buttloads of money" might be seen as a good thing to gain, by certain people.

For as much as I like Neil Finn and as many times as I hear Don't Dream It's Over in the supermarket, I would bet he doesn't make a ton of money off his solo albums nor did Crowded House. Critical acclaim don't pay the bills.

Besides his songwriting style fitting in with Buckingham/Nicks era Mac, if a FM tour and album can set up him up for the rest of his life, I say, "Go for it."

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 17:55

bobzilla77 wrote:I'm not a massive fan of either Finn or FM but, I don't begrudge the guy a chance to play some songs he likes for a few months, and make enough payload to fund the next five projects he really wants to do. I don't know anything about his finances but I would be willing to believe he is not "set for life" from his past work, still needs to work for a living.

I'm sure he does. But becoming a karaoke singer for a group who have been cashing in on their 70s/80s success for the best part of three decades? No, that's tacky. I've seen Neil on numerous occasions - I cannot once remember him referring to FM on stage, incorporating any of their songs into a setlist - even mention them in interviews. I may be wrong - I don't claim to be the oracle.

He's fine going to earn some dough - as long as he realises that, for the vast majority of his fans (and, yes, I've been looking at associated websites etc), this is a retrograde cash in that blows his artistic merit asunder.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2018, 18:02

Diamond Dog wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:I'm not a massive fan of either Finn or FM but, I don't begrudge the guy a chance to play some songs he likes for a few months, and make enough payload to fund the next five projects he really wants to do. I don't know anything about his finances but I would be willing to believe he is not "set for life" from his past work, still needs to work for a living.

I'm sure he does. But becoming a karaoke singer for a group who have been cashing in on their 70s/80s success for the best part of three decades? No, that's tacky. I've seen Neil on numerous occasions - I cannot once remember him referring to FM on stage, incorporating any of their songs into a setlist - even mention them in interviews. I may be wrong - I don't claim to be the oracle.

He's fine going to earn some dough - as long as he realises that, for the vast majority of his fans (and, yes, I've been looking at associated websites etc), this is a retrograde cash in that blows his artistic merit asunder.

When I saw Crowded House touring their first album, they encored with Whole Lotta Love. Yes, they did it as a goof, but I don't think we really know the breadth of an artist's influences.

The Clash are a good example. They specialized in featuring artists and bands they loved as openers. Bo Diddley, Big Joe Williams, Mikey Dread and Joe King Carrasco were all openers for them, but I would bet they didn't endear themselves to Clash fans and had no idea why the band had those folks open for them.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 18:45

According to this, it's Fleetwood who nis a fan of Finn - not the other way around.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-fin ... twood-mac/

Sorry, but I read alot of Neil Finn interviews. I've never once hear him mention Fleetwood Mac as a fan. Maybe he kept it well hidden, but he certainly hasn't been backward in citing his other influences/favourites. He may be, but I'm sceptical. It sounds like a one tour cash in.
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Apr 2018, 18:54

Diamond Dog wrote:for the vast majority of his fans (and, yes, I've been looking at associated websites etc), this is a retrograde cash in that blows his artistic merit asunder.

That's kinda hyperbolic. I've been a fan of his since Split Enz and I have no animosity towards the move and that it will damage his future "artistic merit" whatsoever. My response would be "Get a life!"

It almost makes me wish he'd replaced Paul Stanley in KISS to see his fans really freak out.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 19:12

I'll 'get a life' then.

You enjoy your Crowded Mac karaoke, Sloop.
Cocaine

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Apr 2018, 19:19

I think Tim got all the talent.
I'll get my coat.
uggy poopy doody.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Apr 2018, 19:20

Looks like that Split Enz reunion is on hold then :evil:
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Apr 2018, 19:31

sneelock wrote:I think Tim got all the talent.
I'll get my coat.

It's been said by many others (including on here).

Obviously I don;t agree with that but.... it makes me wonder (wrong artist, I know).
Cocaine

Return to “Yakety Yak”