Roseanne

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Roseanne

Postby Dr Markus » 17 May 2017, 13:09

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39944321

Roseanne sitcom to be revived in 2018 on ABC

Thoughts?

Will this work in 2018? It's gonna be tough.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

PresMuffley

Re: Roseanne

Postby PresMuffley » 20 May 2017, 17:07

The first couple seasons of Roseanne are brilliant - some of the best, most honest TV I've ever watched. I can even enjoy seasons 3 & 4 to an extent, but it went downhill very quickly after that. I'm sure there are die-hard fans who will tune in to this, though I'm not one of them.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 May 2017, 23:10

PresMuffley wrote:The first couple seasons of Roseanne are brilliant - some of the best, most honest TV I've ever watched. I can even enjoy seasons 3 & 4 to an extent, but it went downhill very quickly after that.

this is it. Not like she was a major character but it started sucking after they swtiched older daughters.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 May 2017, 12:55

Apparently they're doing a "Dallas" and John Goodman's character never died.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 18:29

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Mar 2018, 09:30

Dr Markus wrote:Apparently they're doing a "Dallas" and John Goodman's character never died.

I never knew John Goodman's character died! This is like a spoiler for something I should've known. As already mentioned, it was pretty good for the first series or so, and went downhill quickly. It was bound to suck if Goodman had gone, he's a tremendous actor.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Mar 2018, 10:29

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Apparently they're doing a "Dallas" and John Goodman's character never died.

I never knew John Goodman's character died! This is like a spoiler for something I should've known. As already mentioned, it was pretty good for the first series or so, and went downhill quickly. It was bound to suck if Goodman had gone, he's a tremendous actor.

The last series had a real let's-fuck-things-up vibe about it, knowing it was the last season. The Connors won the lottery, basically, which destroyed the entire raison d'être of the show. Goodman's 'heart attack' was the last action of the last episode of the penultimate season. Am I understand it, that whole ninth season is now going to be a dream.
It wasn't just Goodman who was a tremendous actor; Sara Glibert, Laurie Metcalfe, Johnny Galecki, Martin Mull and Estelle Parsons were and are pretty good too. In fact, the only regulars on the show who didn't really cut it as actors were Roseanne and Tom Arnold (and the kid who played DJ, but he was a kid).
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Mar 2018, 14:21

watch part of it last night, it was dreadful. Roseanne and Dan are republicans and they hate Jackie who is an all out liberal.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 28 Mar 2018, 22:03

Didn't find her funny before and doubt I would now...She's just as vile and uninteresting on screen and in reality as she's always been and it's probably worse now that she's a braying Trumpite...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Mar 2018, 18:57

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 30 Mar 2018, 22:29

Dayodead wrote:Didn't find her funny before and doubt I would now...She's just as vile and uninteresting on screen and in reality as she's always been and it's probably worse now that she's a braying Trumpite...

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

yep. she is slime.

she also supports conspiracy theories involving top dem*crats as part of s*tanic c*lts that tr*ffic in ch*ld s*x sl*ves. (the spam filter nailed me the first time i typed the sentence. playing it safe this time.)

she can fucque off with her worse-than-worthless fucquin ass.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 31 Mar 2018, 00:34

Kath nails it. This is about normalising extremism. Hopefully we’ll never see it here.
Last edited by Ranking Ted on 01 Apr 2018, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 31 Mar 2018, 01:00

she retweets some really vile White Nationalist stuff. no wonder she likes TRUMP and describes his appeal as "working class"
Still, I'll give it a go. I like her stand up and I think that's the key to liking a sit-com based around a stand up. Also, good sit coms have some serendipity happening and I think Roseanne did. those people really had some chemistry together.

I find no small irony in seeing people championing her now for openly loving TRUMP that wanted to see her blasted into space after that "National Anthem" thing.

Bing Crosby was an asshole but I liked watching him on TV ( when he was good.) I'll see if I think it's good. I have misgivings though. I think the "working class people are why TRUMP got elected" canard doesn't really need any help poisoning our National Conversation at this point but I'll have a look. I liked the old show and it seems well reasoned that’s how Roseanne Connor would have voted. I doubt we’ll find out if Roseanne Connor is cool with xenophobia & straight up racism but it sure looks like Roseanne Barr is.
uggy poopy doody.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Apr 2018, 02:04

Didn't see the show (and likely won't), but this is a thoughtful critique:

The ‘Roseanne’ Reboot Is Funny. I’m Not Going to Keep Watching.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Apr 2018, 02:53

Very thought provoking article.
uggy poopy doody.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Apr 2018, 08:53

The first episode of the new show was awful.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 22:18

Rayge wrote:It wasn't just Goodman who was a tremendous actor; Sara Glibert, Laurie Metcalfe, Johnny Galecki, Martin Mull and Estelle Parsons were and are pretty good too. In fact, the only regulars on the show who didn't really cut it as actors were Roseanne and Tom Arnold (and the kid who played DJ, but he was a kid).

George Clooney was in it the first season and played Roseanne's supervisor.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 22:21

I remember when Roseanne was doing stand up.

There were lots of quirky stand ups busting out then - Emo Phillips, Judy Tenuda, Sam Kinison, Bob Goldthwait, Fred Stoller, Stephen Wright - and Roseanne.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Apr 2018, 08:48

sloopjohnc wrote:
Rayge wrote:It wasn't just Goodman who was a tremendous actor; Sara Glibert, Laurie Metcalfe, Johnny Galecki, Martin Mull and Estelle Parsons were and are pretty good too. In fact, the only regulars on the show who didn't really cut it as actors were Roseanne and Tom Arnold (and the kid who played DJ, but he was a kid).

George Clooney was in it the first season and played Roseanne's supervisor.

I know. I just thought he was a bit crap in it.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Apr 2018, 09:35

Amazing mutton chops though.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Return to “Screenadelica”