2001: A Space Odessey turns 50

..and why not?
Quaco
F R double E

Re: 2001: A Space Odessey turns 50

Postby Quaco » 05 Apr 2018, 20:06

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It is amazing how few films actually aspire to be truly cinematic anymore. We don’t have many moments in modern films like the ones you describe here, or seeing Peter O’Toole alone in the vastness of the desert. You forget the potential power of the medium.

Many classic cinematic moments, such as the two mentioned here, are that way due to the size of the screen. Movies moving more towards television, computers, and even cellphones naturally seems like it would change things. I agree that many of the greatest filmic moments have to do with slow pacing, so fast-paced movies won't be able to achieve that kind of thing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 05 Apr 2018, 20:13

K wrote:
Jeemo wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:of course it's no Interstellar

only the thickest of the thick would rate interstellar over 2001.

Surely no-one actually rates Interstellar over 2001?

you'd be surprised
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Apr 2018, 03:34

Quaco wrote:The origins of the movie are in this short story. Worth a read for people who don't get it or aren't sure ...

http://future-lives.com/wp-content/uplo ... ntinel.pdf

Thanks for that. And now I know where The Byrds' "Space Odyssey" comes from! (Interesting that they called it that, given that it was released months before the film. Of course, they were Kubrick fans, and maybe Clarke fans too - they would have known something about the work in progress.)

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Apr 2018, 09:36

Fucking Rigsby harshing my mellow.

(Cf. George in The Devils)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Apr 2018, 10:53

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Apr 2018, 12:19

Shared from our sister board.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Apr 2018, 12:56

I genuinely see what other people think is great about this film, the reasons why people hold it in high regard. It's just I don't see in that same way. If i'm alone in that, so be it. For example having a spaceship in space to classical music, ok, yeah it works but it's nothing special to my eyes. The story itself is brilliant, I have read what happens in the film. Maybe it's just down to my view of Kubrick. Some of his films that others don't hold in that high regard, I love, like full metal jacket. While vice versa, i'm not a big fan of the shining, found it boring.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Apr 2018, 13:20

If you get the chance to see it on the big screen you still should though, Markus
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Apr 2018, 13:33

Quaco wrote:Some of the typefaces, shapes of chairs, etc. could be called dated, but the rest of it holds up.

I kind of feel the opposite: that the look of the film is the best thing about it, but I remember the narrative being quite ponderous.
I'd be interested in rewatching it though to see what I feel now.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Apr 2018, 13:38

The Modernist wrote:I remember the narrative being quite ponderous.

As lively as a diplodocus on litres of Largactil. Trust your instincts.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Apr 2018, 14:06

For the record I really want to like it, because I like intelligent sci fi. However I really want to like pablo honey also, but it's just shit.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Apr 2018, 14:11

A little BBC reading.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20180404-why-2001-a-space-odyssey-remains-a-mystery

Why 2001: A Space Odyssey remains a mystery

Kubrick may have set out to make a science-fiction film, but 2001: A Space Odyssey, which turns 50 this week, is closer to home than we think, writes Nicholas Barber.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Apr 2018, 17:57

The Modernist wrote:
Quaco wrote:Some of the typefaces, shapes of chairs, etc. could be called dated, but the rest of it holds up.

I kind of feel the opposite: that the look of the film is the best thing about it, but I remember the narrative being quite ponderous.

I love the look of it, but people were calling it dated and I was accepting that "the future we thought we'd have" could be called dated. Personally I would do a house like that in a second. I don't feel the narrative is ponderous, or (as Markus called it) intelligent even. It's so simple. It just takes time for it to play out, time you can spend getting into the visuals and the ideas. It's kind of like music. You look at a song that's 15 minutes long and think it must be striving to some intellectual heights, but it could just be a three-minute song plus 12 minutes of water sound effects!

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 06 Apr 2018, 18:00

Quaco wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

I love the look of it, but people were calling it dated and I was accepting that "the future we thought we'd have" could be called dated. Personally I would do a house like that in a second. I don't feel the narrative is ponderous, or (as Markus called it) intelligent even. It's so simple. It just takes time for it to play out, time you can spend getting into the visuals and the ideas. It's kind of like music. You look at a song that's 15 minutes long and think it must be striving to some intellectual heights, but it could just be a three-minute song plus 12 minutes of water sound effects!

Spot the King Crimson fan
I run out of talent

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 06 Apr 2018, 18:14

BCB sync watch?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Apr 2018, 21:27

Dr Markus wrote: i'm not a big fan of the shining, found it boring.

I hate it.

For years I thought it was some kind of trash thing - like, it was supposed to be kitschy and overdone and not this masterpiece. I think a friend convinced me that was the consensus view! I was young and naive....

Anyway of course this coloured my opinion when I did finally see it - and after learning about Kubrick, the process. It's a tough one to love and its total lack of subtlety is a major turnoff.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 06 Apr 2018, 23:11

I don’t begrudge anyone the right to dislike a film. But generally when you are in the realm of Kubrick films, the deficit isn’t on the part of the movie. I never really got that much from Full Metal Jacket, but I fully accept that it is a good film.

These are movies you can discuss for years. You can turn them around in your mind endlessly and keep getting new things from them. Isn’t that what art is for?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Apr 2018, 23:15

I didn't like The Shining either. Some classic moments, for sure, but I just couldn't buy into it.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 06 Apr 2018, 23:45

Charlie O. wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:My father didn’t confer greatness onto any other works of art - but he clearly believed 2001 to be the pinnacle of art, and I never questioned that he was right.

What was his opinion of The Zombies? ;)

:) Wow, I'm slow!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 06 Apr 2018, 23:52

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t begrudge anyone the right to dislike a film. But generally when you are in the realm of Kubrick films, the deficit isn’t on the part of the movie. I never really got that much from Full Metal Jacket, but I fully accept that it is a good film.

I'm glad I'm not you :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Screenadelica”