Songs from the Wood
60%
Heavy Horses
40%

Total votes: 15

Nervous Ned

Re: Tull's trilogy of folk-rock albums

Postby Nervous Ned » 11 Mar 2018, 03:21

While I’ve never quite understood the hatred for IA around here, his disbanding of the classic line up of Tull, including saying goodbye to BB must rank as one of the dopiest decisions in rock music.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Mar 2018, 03:52

Nervous Ned wrote:While I’ve never quite understood the hatred for IA around here, his disbanding of the classic line up of Tull, including saying goodbye to BB must rank as one of the dopiest decisions in rock music.

Barlow and John Glascock had planned on leaving Tull to start their own band. Glascock, of course, died before that could happen, but Barrie chose to leave regardless.

I don't quite recall the details of the keyboardists' respective departures, but I'd bet someone else here does...

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 11 Mar 2018, 06:14

In a nutshell IA was persuaded to promote his solo album ‘A’ as a Tull album, thus anyone who wasn’t present for those sessions, by default, wasn’t in Tull.
The fact that ‘A’ was one of his weaker efforts obviously didn’t help.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 11 Mar 2018, 14:56

Charlie O. wrote:
Nervous Ned wrote:While I’ve never quite understood the hatred for IA around here, his disbanding of the classic line up of Tull, including saying goodbye to BB must rank as one of the dopiest decisions in rock music.

Barlow and John Glascock had planned on leaving Tull to start their own band. Glascock, of course, died before that could happen, but Barrie chose to leave regardless.

I don't quite recall the details of the keyboardists' respective departures, but I'd bet someone else here does...

Being in Tull might not have been always the greatest thing. I believe Barlow always had issues with the band. They work so hard arranging all this complicated music but got no credit, they were still on a low level of pay, and no one dared talk to Anderson -- they would always make Barlow be the one to approach him if there was ever a problem. So I can understand him wanting to leave with his new buddy, John Glascock.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Mar 2018, 15:49

Not quite what it says on JT .co.. Glascock had a heart valve infection and was off sick ( on full pay apparently) and because he wouldn't moderate his excesses, Anderson sacked him. He died shortly after the album ( Stormwatch ) was completed, and Barlow decided he did not want to continue at that point. It seems money was always an issue.
You don't like me...do you?

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Mar 2018, 17:41

yomptepi wrote:Not quite what it says on JT .co.. Glascock had a heart valve infection and was off sick ( on full pay apparently) and because he wouldn't moderate his excesses, Anderson sacked him. He died shortly after the album ( Stormwatch ) was completed, and Barlow decided he did not want to continue at that point. It seems money was always an issue.

Correct. Whether the rest of the band did enough to support John is another matter

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Mar 2018, 01:19

Carlsson wrote:Whether the rest of the band did enough to support John is another matter.

I get the impression that John didn't do enough to support John.

Speaking of Johns, I always felt bad for Mr. Evan. A wonderfully talented player (and loon) who really ought to have landed on his feet post-Tull (it seems to me).

I only just learned from our pal Wiki that Barrie Barlow was briefly considered to replace Bonham in Zep! They also provided this anecdote:

Barlow's second gig with Tull involved an unfortunate episode in Denver, Colorado, when the local police tear-gassed the audience from helicopters, both outside and inside the Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Believing that they would be arrested, the band made a run for it after the show in an unmarked station wagon where, hidden under a blanket on the floor in the back, Barlow was heard to ask Anderson, "Will it be like this every night?" Anderson replied, "As a general rule, only on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Mar 2018, 15:24

http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/magsitepages/article/7384/Barrie-Barlow-Interview

Interesting interview with Barrie here about his recording studio the Doghouse, Mr Methane "the Flatulist" , Amy Winehouse and of course his drumming with Tull.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Mar 2018, 13:10

Mike Boom wrote:http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/magsitepages/article/7384/Barrie-Barlow-Interview

Interesting interview with Barrie here about his recording studio the Doghouse, Mr Methane "the Flatulist" , Amy Winehouse and of course his drumming with Tull.

Thanks for the link - good stuff

A monster of a drummer

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 27 Mar 2018, 20:56

Carlsson wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:http://www.pennyblackmusic.co.uk/magsitepages/article/7384/Barrie-Barlow-Interview

Thanks for the link - good stuff

A monster of a drummer

Very nice to read and informative. "Elvo"!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 28 Mar 2018, 12:05

For whatever reason, I never really got into Songs From The Wood, but I’m on my third listen today, so something’s clicked.

Same intricate Tull...just folkier.

Perhaps I should buy Heavy Horses after all?

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Mar 2018, 19:18

soundchaser wrote:

Yes

Next month you can buy just the Steven Wilson remix

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Horses-S ... avy+horses

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 29 Mar 2018, 16:02

Last edited by soundchaser on 29 Mar 2018, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 29 Mar 2018, 16:05

Just streaming my first ever listen of Heavy Horses now, C.

it’s fuckng brilliant!

I didn’t expect it to be this good.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 29 Mar 2018, 16:11

Carlsson wrote:
soundchaser wrote:

Yes

Next month you can buy just the Steven Wilson remix

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heavy-Horses-S ... avy+horses

Ordered. Thanks.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Mar 2018, 02:46

Charlie O. wrote:Speaking of Johns, I always felt bad for Mr. Evan. A wonderfully talented player (and loon) who really ought to have landed on his feet post-Tull (it seems to me).

So true. Apparently he is living in Australia doing construction work and riding in bike marathons. Which is good. But he was such a great player!

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Apr 2018, 17:35

Quaco wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Speaking of Johns, I always felt bad for Mr. Evan. A wonderfully talented player (and loon) who really ought to have landed on his feet post-Tull (it seems to me).

So true. Apparently he is living in Australia doing construction work and riding in bike marathons. Which is good. But he was such a great player!

Agreed Evan got a raw deal - he really was a great showman

He thought he got a raw deal too.

He contributed a lot to Tull

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Apr 2018, 17:39

Carlsson wrote:
Quaco wrote:

Agreed Evan got a raw deal - he really was a great showman

He thought he got a raw deal too.

He contributed a lot to Tull

I remember a friend of mine who was so impressed with Anderson because he assumed he wrote -- literally -- every note of things like Thick as a Brick and Passion Play. Not that Anderson is not brilliant, but I had to dissent, saying I'm sure Evan, Barlow, and Barre added bits too and they all must have arranged it. Not sure my friend ever accepted that. Too bad there wasn't an internet back then to help with finding supporting quotes!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Apr 2018, 18:21

When I was a young fanboy, my older brother Jon was in college and also a Tull fan (though perhaps not quite as much as I was). A friend's father - a big fan - told Jon and his friend that Ian was in his forties or fifties (this was back in the 1970s), and they believed it. It was one of the few times back then that I was skeptical of something my older, wiser brother told me (not that I didn't like the idea).

The only thing I could figure was that the dad must have intuited this from the line in "A Time For Everything" - Fifty years and I'm filled with tears... - and maybe the old men get-up on the cover of their first album.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Apr 2018, 18:30

Charlie O. wrote:When I was a young fanboy, my older brother Jon was in college and also a Tull fan (though perhaps not quite as much as I was). A friend's father - a big fan - told Jon and his friend that Ian was in his forties or fifties (this was back in the 1970s), and they believed it. It was one of the few times back then that I was skeptical of something my older, wiser brother told me (not that I didn't like the idea).

The only thing I could figure was that the dad must have intuited this from the line in "A Time For Everything" - Fifty years and I'm filled with tears... - and maybe the old men get-up on the cover of their first album.

Also Aqualung. As a band, they look pretty old and beardy much of the time!

Return to “Yakety Yak”