BCB Top 100 TV Shows - And the winner is...

..and why not?
never/ever

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - 95 down, 5 to go

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 11:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:I find it really odd that people are talking about The Simpsons in terms of series, or golden ages, or what not. I've always just thought of it as one of those shows that's always on somewhere, and if you're bored, you might switch over to it. Some are good, some aren't, but a timeline does not exist in my fractured, enfeebled mind.

The way TV treated The Simpsons here down under was the reason why I clocked off... It was daily on at 6pm at Channel 10 who had the exclusive rights for broadcast... the way they showed new episodes and then managed to show repeats for weeks on end just made me switch to something different after a while.
I liked it a lot in the beginning and I'm sure I would have followed it through had it not been for the endless repeats.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 05 Apr 2018, 11:22

never/ever wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I find it really odd that people are talking about The Simpsons in terms of series, or golden ages, or what not. I've always just thought of it as one of those shows that's always on somewhere, and if you're bored, you might switch over to it. Some are good, some aren't, but a timeline does not exist in my fractured, enfeebled mind.

The way TV treated The Simpsons here down under was the reason why I clocked off... It was daily on at 6pm at Channel 10 who had the exclusive rights for broadcast... the way they showed new episodes and then managed to show repeats for weeks on end just made me switch to something different after a while.
I liked it a lot in the beginning and I'm sure I would have followed it through had it not been for the endless repeats.

Whereas I basically stopped watching Channel 10 because for a long time The Simpsons at 6pm was my drug :lol:

And even now I watch it on Fox every chance I get. I guess I'm just one of those obsessive types.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 11:36

The Red Heifer wrote:
Whereas I basically stopped watching Channel 10 because for a long time The Simpsons at 6pm was my drug :lol:

And even now I watch it on Fox every chance I get. I guess I'm just one of those obsessive types.

:P

Well, we only had four channels and two of them had the news on...so it was either Simpsons or whatever Auntie ABC was dishing up at the time...
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2018, 13:42

Same here. I've never quite got the lavish praise.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Results!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2018, 13:47

PENK wrote:5

Twin Peaks (USA, 1990-1991, 2017)
Created by: David Lynch, Mark Frost
Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Sherilyn Fenn, Michael Ontkean
Mystery drama mixing elements of comedy, soap opera, police procedural and supernatural horror as FBI agent Dale Cooper (MacLachlan) investigates the murder of a prom queen in a small town on the Canadian border. The show was cancelled after network interference in its underwhelming second series, but returned 25 years later for a darker third series in which the supernatural elements were more prominent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_GbL3SwFwc

Votes: 15
Voters: algroth, Copehead, driftin, fange, Goat Boy, Jeemo, joels344, Neige, never/ever, Nikki Gradual, Penk, Quaco, Rayge, trans-chigley express, The Write Profile

Bollocks - I fully intended to vote for this and thought I had. I was going to award it a lot of points too. I just checked the list I sent Penk and see I've forgotten to include it. :evil:

Ranking Ted

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Apr 2018, 13:54

I forgot about it too - would have definitely made a lucid list if I’d had the wherewithal to have made one..

And Father Ted as well, as I’d already said. Two biggest omissions in my list.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Apr 2018, 13:58

Ranking Ted wrote:I forgot about it too - would have definitely made a lucid list if I’d had the wherewithal to have made one..

And Father Ted as well, as I’d already said. Two biggest omissions in my list.

Turns out that’d have no bearing on their placing a though. Just as well.

SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 05 Apr 2018, 14:07

The Modernist wrote:

Same here. I've never quite got the lavish praise.

i get the praise - I think it's incredibly funny and creative at its best - but all this talk of seasons and peaks, not to mention the endless quoting and referencing, is a little sad.

Like the fishy fella said, I watch it when it's on (and it usually is, somewhere), but I couldn't tell you who's who, really. The show seems to attract trainspotting types more than even Star Trek. And it's just a cartoon!
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 14:13

I think it is slightly more than just a cartoon... The various references to real-life events, personalities and situations really require more out f the writers that for a regular Tom & Jerry-cartoon.

George Carlin

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Apr 2018, 14:15

Why is it sad?

We do the same for bands all the time.

The Simpsons at its best is great popular art, worthy of all the praise and obviously worthy of discussion. To recognise the show had a peak and to discuss its decline is no different to any number of conversations that have taken place on BCB over the years.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

SUMPTUOUS SI

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 05 Apr 2018, 14:18

Look - don't get me wrong about the quality of the thing. I think it's wonderful. I just don't understand why or how people have these particular conversations all the time.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

SUMPTUOUS SI

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 05 Apr 2018, 14:20

People have to have watched every fucking show! and in sequence! and several times over!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Apr 2018, 14:26

I don't see evidence of that on BCB. And the whole reference and quoting thing surely applies to Monty Python more than the Simpsons.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Apr 2018, 14:29

Twin Peaks was my number one pick. My favourite show of all time.

I'd like to discuss it.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 05 Apr 2018, 14:41

never/ever wrote:I think it is slightly more than just a cartoon... The various references to real-life events, personalities and situations really require more out f the writers that for a regular Tom & Jerry-cartoon.

I could write to a similar depth about Tom and Jerry the three cinematic periods at least. The abomination that is the TV show nowadays is another story.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 05 Apr 2018, 14:58

Please don’t.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2018, 15:36

never/ever wrote:I think it is slightly more than just a cartoon... The various references to real-life events, personalities and situations really require more out f the writers that for a regular Tom & Jerry-cartoon.

Sure there's a lot more sophistication to it than there would be for a mere 'cartoon'. At the same time its satirical and intertextual aspects tend to be overplayed by a certain kind of cultural critic in order to elevate it; in other words it's clever, but not that clever. Ultimately how much you love it may come down to how inherently funny you find a garish yellow cartoon figure speaking in a silly voice.
None of the above is intended as a criticism btw I like it fine and see it was hugely influential on other programmes. I just don't regard it as extraordinary.

SUMPTUOUS SI

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 05 Apr 2018, 15:38

it's all about the writing

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Apr 2018, 15:47

They had a total mastery of gags from slapstick to visual puns to witticisms and so on. Being a cartoon liberated them and enabled the show to cram things in in an extraordinary way. I mean there's a gag every ten seconds and during the Golden Years (wap wap wap) the hit rate was incredibly high. The closest non-cartoon comedy show I can think of is something like Police Squad where it's just never ending jokes.

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 05 Apr 2018, 15:54

Goat Boy wrote:They had a total mastery of gags from slapstick to visual puns to witticisms and so on. Being a cartoon liberated them and enabled the show to cram things in in an extraordinary way. I mean there's a gag every ten seconds and during the Golden Years (wap wap wap) the hit rate was incredibly high. The closest non-cartoon comedy show I can think of is something like Police Squad where it's just never ending jokes.

Correct. It was brilliantly funny. Simple gags, clever gags, comic violence, satire.
As the violence got more extreme and the social commentary more chummy it lost its way (in my opinion, repeat, in my opinion).

Some great lines stick with me all the time:

"You'll get three hundred hectares on a single tank of kerosene!"
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.