BCB Top 100 TV Shows - And the winner is...

..and why not?
the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - 95 down, 5 to go

Postby the masked man » 04 Apr 2018, 21:23

Goat Boy wrote:I would say season 2 to 9 is the golden age. Season 9 is where the decline begins perhaps (hello Mike Scully) but there's still enough great episodes (Joy of Sect is a personal fave) to include it in the shows Golden Age I think.

That stretch is genius though. I still watch old episodes and laugh out loud despite having seen them so many times. They still glitter and that's rare with comedy you know?

I would like somebody to put together a greatest hits of the post Golden Age years. My general impression is that from around season 10 onwards things went awry but I've seen newer episodes over the years that I felt were very good. Not as great as the shows peak years perhaps but still worthy.

I dunno, I only got Sky towards the end of season 8, and I thought it was at that point that the show started to suck. That season went downhill badly though was initially quite strong, I thought. And season 9 was mostly rotten, particularly The Principal And The Pauper (just all wrong conceptually, the shark was repeatedly jumped at that point). A couple of episodes pass muster - Natural Born Kissers was cute and had actual belly laughs - but when I watched the older episodes that Sky was helpfully showing, they all seemed so much fresher. I know the bar was high, but late season eight and all of season nine mostly fell dismally short.

But I do understand that the show seems to have made a significant improvement in recent series. Though I've mostly lost the taste for new episodes, I did catch an episode from a few years ago that contained a beautifully-made tribute to Studio Ghibli animation. That was really well done. Maybe it's getting good again.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Apr 2018, 21:41

The Principal and The Pauper was a mistake and that's been admitted. I can understand why it's viewed as a shark jumping moment but there's some really good episodes that season (Lisa the Sceptic, Miracle on Evergreen Terrace, Trouble with Trillions). Season 8 was great! Mr Sparkle! Wonderful stuff.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 04 Apr 2018, 22:33

For The Simpsons, always felt after Season 10, they should have cut the episode order down to 15 (Seasons 11-20) and 12 (Seasons 21+)...Might have kept things fresher...In seasons 11-20, you can find 10 good episodes per season...Later seasons, it's a bit spottier..Either that or after Season 12 or so, let the characters age, thereby opening up more unique story lines...Every few season could equal a year or age..(Something Family Guy should have done long ago)

watts

Postby watts » 05 Apr 2018, 08:09

never/ever wrote:Rambling rose, indeed! :lol:

Well I was running a fever and very tired. I can't always be scintillating. Honestly though my issues with my smart phone aside, I do think the IT crowd could come back in a surprise run to take the top five even though it already placed earlier in the list. It's that fucking funny. It's a fine show as far as geek humor goes. Beats the ever loving shit out of Big Bang Theory.
--m

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 05 Apr 2018, 08:34

This* will come in at Nummer Ett.

* contains some scenes that viewers may find disturbing.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Apr 2018, 09:06

I find it really odd that people are talking about The Simpsons in terms of series, or golden ages, or what not. I've always just thought of it as one of those shows that's always on somewhere, and if you're bored, you might switch over to it. Some are good, some aren't, but a timeline does not exist in my fractured, enfeebled mind.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - What will be our number one?

Postby Penk! » 05 Apr 2018, 09:12

So... just the two left to reveal now...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

`

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Just 10 to go...

Postby ` » 05 Apr 2018, 09:53

Quaco wrote:It wasn't always intended that way. George Markstein was co-creator, and he definitely saw it as a (trippy, visually interesting) spy series with Number 6 a continuation of John Drake. Needless to say, he and McGoohan began to disagree as the show went on, and by the end, Markstein had left and McGoohan wrapped it up the way he wanted to.

George Markstein is also the nameless government functionary behind the desk who P McG confronts in the credits at the start of the show.

Having read a few biogs of the man and books on the show, I'm not sure if I'd agree that McG wrapped everything up in the way he wanted to though.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 05 Apr 2018, 10:24

watts wrote: I do think the IT Crowd (...) beats the ever loving shit out of Big Bang Theory.

Word. :P
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

`

Postby ` » 05 Apr 2018, 10:43

Neige wrote:
watts wrote: I do think the IT Crowd (...) beats the ever loving shit out of Big Bang Theory.

Word. :P

I'll see your IT Crowd and raise you Silicon Valley, the latest season of which starts on Sky in the UK this very evening

Never much cared for that BBT/Friends/Frazier school of sitcom where writers are hired by the yard to bang
out an endless stream of supposedly thigh-slapping liners. Bit too American for my tastes

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 11:10

Darkness_Fish wrote:I find it really odd that people are talking about The Simpsons in terms of series, or golden ages, or what not. I've always just thought of it as one of those shows that's always on somewhere, and if you're bored, you might switch over to it. Some are good, some aren't, but a timeline does not exist in my fractured, enfeebled mind.

The way TV treated The Simpsons here down under was the reason why I clocked off... It was daily on at 6pm at Channel 10 who had the exclusive rights for broadcast... the way they showed new episodes and then managed to show repeats for weeks on end just made me switch to something different after a while.
I liked it a lot in the beginning and I'm sure I would have followed it through had it not been for the endless repeats.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 05 Apr 2018, 11:22

never/ever wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I find it really odd that people are talking about The Simpsons in terms of series, or golden ages, or what not. I've always just thought of it as one of those shows that's always on somewhere, and if you're bored, you might switch over to it. Some are good, some aren't, but a timeline does not exist in my fractured, enfeebled mind.

The way TV treated The Simpsons here down under was the reason why I clocked off... It was daily on at 6pm at Channel 10 who had the exclusive rights for broadcast... the way they showed new episodes and then managed to show repeats for weeks on end just made me switch to something different after a while.
I liked it a lot in the beginning and I'm sure I would have followed it through had it not been for the endless repeats.

Whereas I basically stopped watching Channel 10 because for a long time The Simpsons at 6pm was my drug :lol:

And even now I watch it on Fox every chance I get. I guess I'm just one of those obsessive types.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 11:36

The Red Heifer wrote:
Whereas I basically stopped watching Channel 10 because for a long time The Simpsons at 6pm was my drug :lol:

And even now I watch it on Fox every chance I get. I guess I'm just one of those obsessive types.

:P

Well, we only had four channels and two of them had the news on...so it was either Simpsons or whatever Auntie ABC was dishing up at the time...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2018, 13:42

Same here. I've never quite got the lavish praise.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: BCB Top 100 TV Shows - Results!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Apr 2018, 13:47

PENK wrote:5

Twin Peaks (USA, 1990-1991, 2017)
Created by: David Lynch, Mark Frost
Starring: Kyle MacLachlan, Sherilyn Fenn, Michael Ontkean
Mystery drama mixing elements of comedy, soap opera, police procedural and supernatural horror as FBI agent Dale Cooper (MacLachlan) investigates the murder of a prom queen in a small town on the Canadian border. The show was cancelled after network interference in its underwhelming second series, but returned 25 years later for a darker third series in which the supernatural elements were more prominent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_GbL3SwFwc

Votes: 15
Voters: algroth, Copehead, driftin, fange, Goat Boy, Jeemo, joels344, Neige, never/ever, Nikki Gradual, Penk, Quaco, Rayge, trans-chigley express, The Write Profile

Bollocks - I fully intended to vote for this and thought I had. I was going to award it a lot of points too. I just checked the list I sent Penk and see I've forgotten to include it. :evil:

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Apr 2018, 13:54

I forgot about it too - would have definitely made a lucid list if I’d had the wherewithal to have made one..

And Father Ted as well, as I’d already said. Two biggest omissions in my list.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 05 Apr 2018, 13:58

Ranking Ted wrote:I forgot about it too - would have definitely made a lucid list if I’d had the wherewithal to have made one..

And Father Ted as well, as I’d already said. Two biggest omissions in my list.

Turns out that’d have no bearing on their placing a though. Just as well.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Apr 2018, 14:07

The Modernist wrote:

Same here. I've never quite got the lavish praise.

i get the praise - I think it's incredibly funny and creative at its best - but all this talk of seasons and peaks, not to mention the endless quoting and referencing, is a little sad.

Like the fishy fella said, I watch it when it's on (and it usually is, somewhere), but I couldn't tell you who's who, really. The show seems to attract trainspotting types more than even Star Trek. And it's just a cartoon!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 05 Apr 2018, 14:13

I think it is slightly more than just a cartoon... The various references to real-life events, personalities and situations really require more out f the writers that for a regular Tom & Jerry-cartoon.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Apr 2018, 14:15

Why is it sad?

We do the same for bands all the time.

The Simpsons at its best is great popular art, worthy of all the praise and obviously worthy of discussion. To recognise the show had a peak and to discuss its decline is no different to any number of conversations that have taken place on BCB over the years.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Screenadelica”