England Cricket Team Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: England Cricket Team Thread

Postby The Red Heifer » 25 Mar 2018, 20:58

If Josh Hazlewood was involved that would particularly sting.

We really do deserve every reputation we have abroad, although I'd prefer it if it were just the "unlikable bullies who can't take what they dish out" stuff, without the added "hypocritical cheaters" stuff.

What a calamity.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 25 Mar 2018, 21:24

The kid that tried to have Lyon sign on a piece of sandpaper made me chuckle.
I run out of talent

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 26 Mar 2018, 05:21

The Red Heifer wrote:If Josh Hazlewood was involved that would particularly sting.

We really do deserve every reputation we have abroad, although I'd prefer it if it were just the "unlikable bullies who can't take what they dish out" stuff, without the added "hypocritical cheaters" stuff.

What a calamity.

Seems like Starc, Hazlewood & Lyon knew nothing about this and are all furious at being implicated. At least that's what's being reported. In the past they have been named as being part of the leadership group. So was this leadership group basically troublesome Dave giving immature Steve an idea of how they could get back into the game? How did Bancroft get pulled in? When did Lehmann know about this? Why the didn't Smith tell Warner that he was out of his fucking tree? Lots of supposition still.

Wish I bought Tim Paine futures a few months ago. He was on the verge of retirement, couldn't even get into his State team, and about to start a job with Kookaburra. Now he's captain.
king of the divan

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 26 Mar 2018, 08:04

Well that was a gripping, well-fought test match. Granted, no team should really lose after dismissing the other team for 58 in the first innings, but it seemed that NZ outplayed and out-thought England at every step of the game. There were a number of great performances in this match- Boult getting the ball to turn corners in the first innings, and then battering the opposition batsmen in the second innings, Williamson with another classy century, and Nichols with a career-saving one, and well-organised and occasionally threatening bowling from Wagner and Southee.

More to the point, both sides played in the spirit the game should be played. It will be interesting to see whether England will improve much in the second test match. Certainly, they showed glimpses of promise with bat and ball, but Root didn't seem to have much of a plan when it mattered.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2018, 08:48

Yes, New Zealand really did a job. Even in the second innings they seemed to bowl smartly and effectively to set batsmen.

Ignoring the first innings catastrophe, England's second innings was very typical of their batting problems. Everyone in the top order - other than Cook - passed 20 and yet the top score was Stokes with 66. Compare that to NZ with their two centurions and that's where the difference is often made - players sticking around to support their teammates and take the team innings to the next level.

Root's determination to fight on last night may have been admirable but he really should have gone off hurt. Better to lose a nightwatchman in the last over of the day than your captain and top batsman, surely.

England have now lost ten and drawn two of their last 12 overseas tests.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Mar 2018, 08:57

Oh, and now a video has emerged of Bancroft allegedly putting sugar in his pocket during the Ashes.

We'll have that trophy back please Mr Smith!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 26 Mar 2018, 09:02

PENK wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure why are faring so poorly overseas. On paper, they're quite a strong side. Perhaps one of the problems is they're relying heavily on old(er) warhorses such as Anderson and Cook, while players like Stokes and Woakes seem to lack the ability to kick on when set.

Ironically, England's one day international side is formidably well organised and capable of dominant performances away from home.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 26 Mar 2018, 23:41

Darren Lehmann stepping down apparently. David Warner still hasn't opened his cowardly gob and said anything.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Mar 2018, 06:42

PENK wrote:

The Write Profile wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why are faring so poorly overseas.

As it doesn't appear to be lack of talent, one probably has to conclude it's lack application. Or courage. Or both.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 27 Mar 2018, 09:52

Wow, Robert Craddock, veteran cricket journo, has some spectacular stuff here. Starting to come out. I doubt we'll ever see Warner play for Australia if this is true. Seems like he cooked this up with a naive Bancroft and he's now he's thrown the team under the bus, including Smith, and the team want him to fuck right off.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 33c01089d0
king of the divan

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Mar 2018, 11:38

Diamond Dog wrote:
PENK wrote:

As it doesn't appear to be lack of talent, one probably has to conclude it's lack application. Or courage. Or both.

I think it's a lack of experience and practice in the batting, plus a lack of application, and a lack of variety in the bowling: we have Anderson and Broad, who are at least tight and controlled in unfriendly conditions, and then a bunch of blokes who are like Anderson and Broad just not as good and who go for 80-90 in overseas games.
And we have no spinner worthy of the name.

There is definitely a lack of talent in the bowling pool, although some of the most successful county bowlers like Porter, Coad and Leach have not been given a chance.
There seem plenty of talented batsmen around in the county game but the proven failures like Vince and Ballance keep getting second chances instead.

borofan

Postby borofan » 27 Mar 2018, 18:07

PENK wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
PENK wrote:

I think it's a lack of experience and practice in the batting, plus a lack of application, and a lack of variety in the bowling: we have Anderson and Broad, who are at least tight and controlled in unfriendly conditions, and then a bunch of blokes who are like Anderson and Broad just not as good and who go for 80-90 in overseas games.
And we have no spinner worthy of the name.

There is definitely a lack of talent in the bowling pool, although some of the most successful county bowlers like Porter, Coad and Leach have not been given a chance.
There seem plenty of talented batsmen around in the county game but the proven failures like Vince and Ballance keep getting second chances instead.

Porter and Coad aren't any different from the seam bowlers already there - 80-85mph right armers. What is missing from the seam attack is variety. I'd have Wood in for Overton to give that extra blast of pace. I'd also be inclined to give Leach a game instead of Moeen, who has looked toothless this winter, and hasn't compensated for lack of bowling success with runs. Leach has been the leading English spinner for the last 2 years, so time he was given a run in the side. Somerset have been accused of preparing pitches to suit him, but he still had to bowl well to take the wickets.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Mar 2018, 19:01

If Mason Crane can get in the side...

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Mar 2018, 19:43

I would rather they left Leech out. I'm planning to go and see a few Sommerset games this year so it's best if he plays for them.
I run out of talent

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 Mar 2018, 11:17

Snith and Warner banned for a year. Bancroft for nine months.

That seems pretty heavy really.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Mar 2018, 11:24

I'm surprised the ICC-punishment was so light....

One year is indeed very long and the whole decision feels rather knee-jerk. That Boof is still there is another surprise.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

borofan

Postby borofan » 28 Mar 2018, 18:21

never/ever wrote:I'm surprised the ICC-punishment was so light....

One year is indeed very long and the whole decision feels rather knee-jerk. That Boof is still there is another surprise.

The ICC punishment was that laid down in the regulations as a level 2 offence. As there are 4 levels, ball tampering needs to be moved to a level 4 offence, for which the punishmnents are much harsher.

As for the 1 year ban for Smith and Warner, bear in mind that if it had been any shorter, they would be available for the home tests against India at the end of the year, so wouldn't be any sort of punishment. Having said that, I think it's doubtful that Warner will ever play for Australia again. He's certainly burnt his boats with the rest of the team thanks to his attempt to take Starc, Lyon and Hazlewood with him.

It wouldn't surprise me if Boof was there whilst a severance package is worked out. I cannot see how it is possible for him to stay on.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Mar 2018, 13:37

Boof fallen on his sword. Indeed, inevitable. Still, unbelievable.
Smith's press conference was hard to watch. The walls truly have fallen down.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Mar 2018, 20:05

Only 3 months ago....

Lord Rother wrote:I just think it is fucking ridiculous that sledging and abuse of any kind is allowed in sport, and when it is justified as “all part of the game” it is sickening.

In most walks of civilised society it would not be tolerated.

Quite rightly coaches in cycling, gymnastics and other sports have been kicked out for creating an environment of fear through verbal and psychological intimidation.

One day (soon I suspect) the focus will move to cricket and sledging will be stopped and everyone will be asking themselves how the hell they let it happen in the first place.

“We all knew it was happening and nobody did a damn thing to stop it.”

Where have we heard that before?

Mildly prescient of me. Looks like there is a developing appetite to tackle this in the wake of sandpapergate (sorry).

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 30 Mar 2018, 07:18

Anyway back to the actual cricket...

Return to “Sporting Life”