NBA - 2014/15 Season.

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Dr Markus

Re: NBA - 2014/15 Season.

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 17:12

Stay away from Frank, he's a good assistant coach but not a good head coach.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2018, 17:19

Dr Markus wrote:Stay away from Frank, he's a good assistant coach but not a good head coach.

Maybe Mike Brown then. He might want another head coaching gig.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 17:30

I never understand the constant NBA coaching merry-go-round. I'd look at college coaches. There's so many times a coach can coach different NBA teams, get no where before GM's stop looking at them. Think outside the box (NBA).
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Mar 2018, 17:50

sloopjohnc wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:I think first they got to get a decent coach who can run a modern offence. They have enough talent so that they don't have to rely on Giannis to score 30 every night. When everyone's on the same page they've shown that they can hang with anyone.

It's funny. Their head coach, Sam Prunty, was my co-worker right across from me's PE dance partner in elementary school.

He coached Luke Walton in his first high school coaching job. He's been an assistant for the Spurs, Mavericks, Trailblazers, Nets and Cavaliers before the Bucks.

He was also the head coach of the UK's Olympic team.

He's a fill in, but the wild card is the Buck's GM. He's a young guy and has been with the team awhile. I agree, they need to get a legit coach. Not like Prunty isn't one - but one with some more gravitas, maybe. But I think most of those kind of coaches have been snatched up in the last couple years. There are some Spurs and Hawks assistants who are top prospects, but they basically have the same cred as Prunty.

If the Bucks could get Lawrence Frank, that might be good - would be a major rub to Kidd, who demoted Frank when he was on the Nets staff. But he's now the Clippers VP of operations for the Clippers when they felt Doc Rivers couldn't handle both coaching and GM duties.

Yeah I remember you saying that about Prunty.
To be honest I think there's a lot of overreaction and no matter who you are it's very difficult coming in the middle of the season and try to impose a completely different style of play to the one the team has been playing for 2 years. I personally don't know enough about who's gonna be available this summer and who would want to work in what seems to be an operationally dysfunctional franchise.
As far as the GM goes he's young and not many people think much of him but he did get Bledsoe for peanuts and got rid of Kidd. I don't know how much better he could have done.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 18:03

WG Kaspar wrote: he did get Bledsoe for peanuts and got rid of Kidd.

Think I would have did the opposite for the time being.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 27 Mar 2018, 18:33

Dr Markus wrote:

Maybe. Maybe Bledsoe isn't the right fit in that team. Maybe Kidd really should be given more time. In both cases it's far too early to tell. All I'm saying is why don't the Bucks run continuous p'n'r with Giannis and Bledsoe? That's not really hard to figure out and is pretty much unstoppable. Neither Kidd not Prunty seem to really like that play much.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 18:39

WG Kaspar wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:

Maybe. Maybe Bledsoe isn't the right fit in that team. Maybe Kidd really should be given more time. In both cases it's far too early to tell. All I'm saying is why don't the Bucks run continuous p'n'r with Giannis and Bledsoe? That's not really hard to figure out and is pretty much unstoppable. Neither Kidd not Prunty seem to really like that play much.

Bledsoe is a "I gotta get mine" type player. He'll never amount to much. No much point playing pick and roll if most teams play zone against you, which is the easiest way to defend you guys. Problem is, I think most new age coach look down on zone, and some players don't have the discipline. Your main guy needs a job shot, stat. Not an average one, a proper consistent one. If he gets that, surrounded by parker, middleton, proper pg and then a coach, buck's future looks even brighter.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2018, 21:16

Dr Markus wrote:I never understand the constant NBA coaching merry-go-round. I'd look at college coaches. There's so many times a coach can coach different NBA teams, get no where before GM's stop looking at them. Think outside the box (NBA).

College coaches usually don't do very well. Mike Montgomery, Rick Pitino, Calipari, Pete Carill, Jerry "Tarkanian, PJ Carlesimo - all great college coaches, some hall of fame, didn't do very well. Larry Brown went back and forth between pro and college, but he was mainly a pro coach.

Brad Stevens from Butler has done great, but he's the exception. Some of those guys have done well as assistant coaches. Have college coaches manage the Xs and Os, but a head coach has to manage egos, minutes and choose plays for situations.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Mar 2018, 21:19

True, but I still wouldn't go for a coach that has head coached a team in the NBA before. Go for a current assistant coach or something.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2018, 23:03

Dr Markus wrote:True, but I still wouldn't go for a coach that has head coached a team in the NBA before. Go for a current assistant coach or something.

I know what you mean by out of the box though - both Mark Jackson and Steve Kerr had never coached before. The new NY Yankees manager, Bret Boone, never managed. And Jon Gruden - the head coach of Oakland Raiders - he's been TV commentator for 20 years since his last job.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 04 Apr 2018, 18:34

At the end of the OKC/Warriors game, I had a question on the last play of the game so I tweeted the Warriors color commentator and asked him. I got a response five minutes later.

OKC had to foul to have a chance. The Warriors inbounded to Klay Thompson on the corner of the baseline. A double team was coming so he passed near the opponents' basket to Draymond, who was fouled.

My questions were, if OKC had to foul, why did Klay get rid of it to a worse free throw shooter, double team or no double team? You could tell OKC was hesitant to foul Thompson, probably for that reason. My second question was why did he pass near the opponents' basket when i was taught that was a major no-no? Closer to the basket, easier for the opponent to steal and get a layup.

He didn't really answer my questions to my satisfaction, but it was kinda cool to get a response.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Apr 2018, 18:53

Only short sighted players want to get to the line in these type of situation. The real players that are more interested in the win rather than upping their points total will try and keep the ball in play to run down the clock.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 04 Apr 2018, 21:12

Dr Markus wrote:Only short sighted players want to get to the line in these type of situation. The real players that are more interested in the win rather than upping their points total will try and keep the ball in play to run down the clock.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Every possession requires different strategy based on a lot of different parameters, but I haven't watched a ball game where someone didn't try to run the clock down.
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Apr 2018, 23:46

Sloop wondered by Thompson passed the ball instead of holding the ball, get fouled and go to the line because he's such a good shooter. If that were to happen, clock stops. The smarter player will try to be smart and keep the ball moving to keep the clock going. The opposite to that is usually players that see the chance to get easy points. In doing so, the clock stops and increases the chance for the other team getting back in the game. There are stupid players that will purposefully hold the ball to get some points for themselves, not worrying about the team.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 00:11

Dr Markus wrote:Sloop wondered by Thompson passed the ball instead of holding the ball, get fouled and go to the line because he's such a good shooter. If that were to happen, clock stops. The smarter player will try to be smart and keep the ball moving to keep the clock going. The opposite to that is usually players that see the chance to get easy points. In doing so, the clock stops and increases the chance for the other team getting back in the game. There are stupid players that will purposefully hold the ball to get some points for themselves, not worrying about the team.

That wasn't it at all. OKC had to foul to get the ball back and try and get a possession to score. Thompson had to make a decision - get trapped in a double team and take his chances on getting the ball stripped or pass it, and as you say, keep the clock running. I thought OKC was slow on the double team because they didn't want to foul a really good foul shooter. As soon as Klay passed it to Draymond, they fouled him. Draymond is a 77% free throw shooter for the year and Klay is 85%.

Someone was going to get fouled, but Klay was boxed in and saw an opening to keep the clock running and passed.

It took a couple seconds off the clock but you put a free throw shooter with 7 pctg points lower to the line. Draymond make both shots so it's kinda academic.

Here was the response to my question:

"Double team was imminent. Steal opportunity snookered in corner. Weren’t going to foul. Risky pass/decision, except he got rid of it BEFORE he got in real trouble, and Green was open."

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Apr 2018, 00:21

It sounded like the question to me, you asked why did Thompson pass if he was the better shooter. That's what my answer is based on.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Apr 2018, 20:53

Ivering out for the playoffs. Warriors to win it all, but also this is the best chance for rockets to win it all. They still won't.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 05 Apr 2018, 22:56

God I hope we get the Celtics in the first round
I run out of talent

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 23:37

I don't trust the Raptors to beat the Cavs. I hope everyone likes seeing LeBron in the finals. . . again.

And they get to see the West beat each other up for three rounds before playing a team.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Apr 2018, 23:38

Dr Markus wrote:Ivering out for the playoffs. Warriors to win it all, but also this is the best chance for rockets to win it all. They still won't.

I think CPIII changes the whole Rockets dynamic. He'll kick anyone's ass on the Rockets who's not giving it their all. He won't let Harden disappear.

Return to “Sporting Life”