The Manchester United Thread

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
jimboo

Re: The Manchester United Thread

Postby jimboo » 10 Mar 2018, 15:01

If Mata had scored, what a goal that would have been. Great game , pity about the lack of adventure in the second half.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 10 Mar 2018, 15:12

If Mata had scored, what a goal that would have been. Great game , pity about the lack of adventure in the second half.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Mar 2018, 07:41

I think Mourinho out-thought Klopp for the first 60 minutes or so - it ws clearly a surprise to Liverpool to see both Mata & Rashford out there, and they didn't really adjust until the brought off Oxlade-Chamberlain. Lukaku had his second great game in a row, but you wouldn't exactly call Liverpol's defene (particularly Lovren) great.

I think we now know whether Man U are better with or without Pogba - I just wonder if Mourinho is brave enough to keep him out of the side.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 13 Mar 2018, 21:38

Shocking

Woeful

Clueless

FFS.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Mar 2018, 22:27

:lol: :lol:
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Mar 2018, 04:04

Looks like the world domination plan has been postponed for another season.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Mar 2018, 07:21

Fair play to Sevilla. They are a dangerous team.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 14 Mar 2018, 08:19

Yeah fair play to Seville but, as with Spurs, if you do the hard job and get the away draw and then lose the home leg - that's shit. At least Spurs were playing a top team - much as Seville are good, they're not up with the likes of Juventus yet I don;t think.

It's a terrible result for Man U & Mourinho.
Cocaine

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Mar 2018, 09:03

Old cunto is stifling (if not ruining) so many very good players and turning a potentially great team into utter tedium. The supporters and ex players are really starting to get peed off, and I should imagine Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are wondering wtaf is going on.

And they just gave him a 4 year contract a few weeks ago! :lol: :lol:

It’s hilarious to watch it really is.

(My hatred is not of the club by the way just the cunt of a manager.)

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 14 Mar 2018, 16:54

Mourinho in his post-match press conference: "I've sat in this chair twice before, with Porto - Man Utd out, with Real Madrid - Man Utd out, so this is nothing new for this football club."

Oh well, I’m sure the Man Utd people will feel a little happier now after that little pearl.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Mar 2018, 16:02

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Mar 2018, 16:15

Sorry Rafa, your "facts" speech just got outdone.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 16 Mar 2018, 19:27

Dr Markus wrote:Sorry Rafa, your "facts" speech just got outdone.

You think?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Mar 2018, 09:52

jimboo wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:Sorry Rafa, your "facts" speech just got outdone.

You think?

Mourinho's behaviour is pretty embarrassing, but it's nothing new.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Mar 2018, 11:06

The Modernist wrote:Mourinho's behaviour is pretty embarrassing, but it's nothing new.

Underneath the squirminess of it all, though, a message for a large coterie of the fanbase that they really need to hear. The glory days have gone: stop feeling so fucking entitled
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Mar 2018, 12:41

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Mourinho's behaviour is pretty embarrassing, but it's nothing new.

Underneath the squirminess of it all, though, a message for a large coterie of the fanbase that they really need to hear. The glory days have gone: stop feeling so fucking entitled

Why would the glory days have gone? They're one of the richest clubs in the world with probably the largest global fanbase of any club. There are a small handful of clubs who can expect pretty much continual success ( with the odd empty season accepted) and they are in that elite, whether we like it or not.
If his message is we should expect Sevilla to be at a higher level than Man utd then I don't think the Utd supporters will buy it and nor should they.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Mar 2018, 13:37

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Why would the glory days have gone? They're one of the richest clubs in the world with probably the largest global fanbase of any club. There are a small handful of clubs who can expect pretty much continual success ( with the odd empty season accepted) and they are in that elite, whether we like it or not.
If his message is we should expect Sevilla to be at a higher level than Man utd then I don't think the Utd supporters will buy it and nor should they.

No, the message is that the days when the fans could assume they could walk into the final stages of any tournament are over. Sevilla are not an elite level club, it's true, but nor are United at the moment: both of them are swirling around in that second tier of clubs who get into the knockout rounds of the CL in Europe, and in the UK cannot assume they will make the CL (though obviously they will this year given the dips in form of Chelsea and Arsenal. Player for player, maybe Man U are 'better' than Sevilla, but losing to them over two legs is about as seismic a shock to the natural order as, say, losing to Everton in the FA Cup.
I think that your assertion that they are still in that elite group, 'whether we like it or not', because they are wealthy and have a huge fan base, may be true of them as a club and a financial institution (albeit one in vast debt), but the current team just isn't good enough. And apologies for pulling the old man card again, but 60 years of following football has led me to believe that churn and change are endemic, and rise and fall is part of the game. I'm not expecting United to get relegated any time soon (although I remember well the day that they were), but it will be a while before they challenge for the title again, even if I haven't put the curse on them that I did on Liverpool in 1991.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Mar 2018, 19:24

Hmm I'm not sure about that. City's potential future hegemony of the Premier League is probably, I suspect, down to how long Guardiola stays there and whether or not they can evolve into a dynastic set up similar to Barcelona where the trophies come regardless of the manager.

If that doesn't happen, then United will always be in the mix. They've not really played that well this season, their first XI is a bit all over the shop and yet they have 2nd place all but wrapped up.

Sure, they didn't make it to the quarter-finals of the CL, but their financial power and attraction for players will never really wane unless they endure the sort of consistent dip in fortunes like Liverpool did. I simply can't see that happening - plus remember they won two trophies last season.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 17 Mar 2018, 19:26

Man Utd have a super squad. If the managers swapped jobs I honestly believe Man Utd would beat Man City.

borofan

Postby borofan » 19 Mar 2018, 16:57

Lord Rother wrote:Man Utd have a super squad. If the managers swapped jobs I honestly believe Man Utd would beat Man City.

Really? I'd take the likes of De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero and Kompany over anything United have. I'd probably swap De Gea, but that's about all.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Return to “Sporting Life”