10%
Fuck off Jim
10%

Total votes: 31

Kinkhurt

Re: Post punk pocalypse

Postby Kinkhurt » 13 Mar 2018, 11:59

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Prof wrote:Danse Society - Barnsley's finest. I've only heard Wake Up and a version of the Stones' 2,000 Light Years. Bit unremarkable

A bit harsh, there's a case to be made that they pioneered what later became the typical goth sound associated with The Sisters. I'm not saying that they were the best at what they did, but they shouldn't be ignored.

Stuff like this:

Danse Society are a bit forgotten, nobody really picks up on the early singles and EP's - they beat the sisters to 'that' sound and they were doing better stuff than most of the Sheffield bands that get credit for being 80's electro pioneers.

Seduction is a great album and the early EP's are all gold standard. 'Somewhere', 'Clock', 'Happy' ended up defining goth by the numbers.
The Death/Dolphins 12'' is untouchable

It took Bauhaus until Mask to get this pretentious.

Plus they were decent blokes, they always gave us lifts back from gigs in their van when we missed the last bus or trains.

Lyndon is still doing stuff he's got a band in town called the Black Lamps, they have an LP out.
angering the feeble

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 13 Mar 2018, 12:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:Now you're getting deep into 2nd division territory, I'll start a poll, March Violets vs Belfegore vs Red Lorry Yellow Lorry :-)

Wot! No Rose of Avalanche! :evil:

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 13 Mar 2018, 13:32

Darkness_Fish wrote:Now you're getting deep into 2nd division territory, I'll start a poll, March Violets vs Belfegore vs Red Lorry Yellow Lorry :-)

The Violets weren't 2nd division - the Rosie/Simon line up were brilliant live, pity they never really got an album out.
Botanic Verses is a good LP though. Snake Dance, Walk into the Sun, Lights, Crow, Grooving, Radiant, Religious as Hell.
They did a reunion album, Made Glorious, that was pretty decent as well but Si has gone through the mill of late so I suspect
they're done now.
angering the feeble

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Mar 2018, 15:33

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:The Monochrome Set and the Nightingales - but even those two in small doses.

This is a cracker:

the Monochrome Set is the only one I'd pick out of that bunch.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 13 Mar 2018, 18:47

Make it all go away. Please.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 13 Mar 2018, 20:40

Kinkhurt wrote:How can you not have the Virgin Prunes ? A New Form Of Beauty or If I Die. Those albums were ploughing new furrows, I saw them play an early gig at Futurama festival where they got kicked off the stage, and then some of the weirdest gigs ever when they did Leeds and Wakefield. They had balls to to bring performance art to the audiences they went in front of around that time, Pig Children was quite a thing to see.

A new form of beauty is still a disturbing piece of work, I used to be totally obsessed with it - go to bed, wake up with flat batteries in the Walkman type of obsessed. Something you can only spend that kind of time on if you're a kid. The songs are like all your worst fears, vocalised and committed to tape. I had all the parts which I'd collected up on vinyl and put them together on a cassette (I never had the live tape - which I only heard properly when the remasters came out and it wasn't much better than the un-listenable version I'd got in a tape trade). Sandpaper Lullabye was the nearest we got to a pop song, Sleep Fantasy is a Cure ripoff which Bob wishes he could have written, Come to Daddy, Abbagal and Sweet home should be on on the recommended list of any serial killers you may happen to know. Play it in the dark, its great.

If I die is a more conventional album and is probably the album to get if you are a right-thinking adult. Compare the versions of Sweet home that's on this album to the first version, my mum liked this version better - the upstairs power didn't get cut off as often. This album revealed that they did have conventional influences - you can hear Bowie, Roxy and Public Image on this one but its still a bit twisted. Walls of Jerico and Baby turns Blue were goth dance floor hits back in the day and Decline and Fall is a masterful piece of work. Bau, Fado, caucasion sound like the old stuff and Theme for Thought follows on from Sweet home.

Excellent.

A list of bands I found largely dull & would have suggested the Virgin Prunes as superior and of that time but you've beaten me to it and in a far more eloquent manner than I would have. I raise my hat to you sir.

Return to “Yakety Yak”