33%
Jezzer
68%

Total votes: 40

Insouciant Western People

Re: Rees Mogg or Corbyn?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:13

Diamond Dog wrote:
Nick wrote: The Jewish vote for Labour has dropped drastically since Corbyn has become leader.

Is there any evidence of this?

A poll conducted by the Jewish Chronicle on May 30th 2017 found that 77% of British Jewish respondents said they would Conservative. Only 13% said they would vote Labour.

54% said they would vote Labour were Corbyn not in charge.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:14

German Dave wrote:spouting islamophobic bile like Murray does.

What Islamophobic bile has Douglas Murray spouted? How do you define Islamophobia?
Last edited by Insouciant Western People on 11 Mar 2018, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2018, 19:15

Nick wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Nick wrote: The Jewish vote for Labour has dropped drastically since Corbyn has become leader.

A poll conducted by the Jewish Chronicle on May 30th 2017 found that 77% of British Jewish respondents said they would Conservative. Only 13% said they would vote Labour.

54% said they would vote Labour were Corbyn not in charge.

Sorry - independent evidence.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:22

German Dave wrote:Well, it's common knowledge that the Jewish Chronicle is after him because he is so critical of Israel's treatment of the Palestinian people - no great surprise at all. It's a classic smear campaign.

You don't think it might - just might - be that they think he harbours a certain hostility to the existence of Israel?

I mean, y'know, based on the fact that he's spent the last few decades hanging out and making common cause with people whose attitude might be more or less characterised as being fairly hostile to Jews and the State of Israel?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:31

German Dave wrote:I asked Nick earlier, how come, if he's for a two state solution, he doesn't criticise Israel's sabotaging of it. Not sure if he's answered that so I'll read the rest of the thread now.

I am critical of it. The Israeli government and the likes of the lunatic-fringe settler movement are hugely at fault. But they are not the only transgressors. I'm yet to hear a word of condemnation from you Griff about the murderously racist rhetoric of Hamas, the suicide bombings (which by the way is the reason for the so-called 'apartheid wall'), brainwashing child soldiers, the Al Qassam brigades' homicidal campaign against Jewish civilians, the widespread condoning of stabbings and car ramming murders on pro-Palestinian websites and social media, and the massively antisemitic propaganda spread on pro-Palestinian social media - the latter of which which I've pointed out to you on a couple of occasions, once on a Facebook page you'd liked, and you admitted as much.

I've met you halfway on this stuff, in terms of condemning Israeli government policy. How about you start condemning the numerous crimes of the Palestinians, eh? Or are you going to condone murderous antisemitism?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:36

German Dave wrote:Corbyn > critical of country known to be oppressing another people > bad for me

Or is it Corbyn > is friends with people like the PSC, Hamas, George Galloway, Ken Livingstone, Stephen Sizer, Raed Salah and takes money for appearing on Press TV > bad for me?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Mar 2018, 19:45

German Dave wrote:
Dougie? Nick?

What do you expect me to say to that? How awful it is? It's not like I am on Israels "side" you know and that's the point. I feel like when it comes to this issue there's an expectation that one should pick a "side" and to not do so is immoral. And naturally the left favours one over the other but that doesn't work for me personally so I reject it. That's partly why I posted that link about the kidnapping to remind us all that the "settlers" in question were teenage boys and whilst it's very easy to use language that dehumanises both sides and makes people somehow "guilty" by virtue of the group they belong to that makes me feel very uncomfortable and I don't think it's helpful. It's too binary for me.

I don't believe for a second that you are an anti-semite either btw but I do believe there is a problem with anti-semitism on the left and that for a number of reasons, some of which I outlined in another post some are blind to this. I think Corbyn doesn't see this.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:47

German Dave wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Sorry - independent evidence.

:lol:

Like the Electronic Intifada 'journalism' you repeatedly post on social media?

You do have a nerve.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Mar 2018, 19:51

I blame Ed Miliband
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Mar 2018, 19:52

My old comrade Tony has been kicked out of the party again I see. Nick and his ilk should take comfort from that fact - even under Corbyn an anti-zionist Jewish agitator like Mr. Greenstein is still untouchable it seems.

Fight on TG you are a legend!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 19:58

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:
German Dave wrote:
Nick wrote:You think there aren't a lot of people, mostly on the left, who single out Israel as a central and fundamental evil in the world?

Are you serious, Nick? I honestly don't know anyone who "singles out Israel as a central and fundamental evil in the world."

:shock:

It positively defines quite a few people I know! It's a classic left-wing viewpoint. Israel is seen as an extension of the USA in the region.

It is also a very common position in the Middle East, and Islamic areas of South Asia. And that is a fairly liberal viewpoint for those regions.

I've found it fairly common over the past dozen years of working in these regions to have conversations with people that have included them trotting out variations on "well you know, it was the Jews wot dun it" in reference to everything from the rise of Hitler, through the Kennedy assassinations to the death of Princess Diana, 9/11, and the invasions or Afghanistan and Iraq.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 20:00

Deebank wrote:My old comrade Tony has been kicked out of the party again I see. Nick and his ilk should take comfort from that fact - even under Corbyn an anti-zionist Jewish agitator like Mr. Greenstein is still untouchable it seems.

I was rather cheered by Greenstein being kicked out :D

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Mar 2018, 20:14

Nick wrote:
Deebank wrote:My old comrade Tony has been kicked out of the party again I see. Nick and his ilk should take comfort from that fact - even under Corbyn an anti-zionist Jewish agitator like Mr. Greenstein is still untouchable it seems.

That figures.

One of the real fighters against fascism who has actually faced down real violent anti-semitism.

Like I say - fight on TG.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Mar 2018, 20:15

The difference between abstract reasoning and the reality on the ground?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 20:38

Goat Boy wrote:
German Dave wrote:
Dougie? Nick?

What do you expect me to say to that? How awful it is? It's not like I am on Israels "side" you know and that's the point. I feel like when it comes to this issue there's an expectation that one should pick a "side" and to not do so is immoral. And naturally the left favours one over the other but that doesn't work for me personally so I reject it.

This is it, exactly.

Griff seems to take the point of view that if you are not meticulously recording and condemning every infringement of human rights committed by the Israelis, the you're somehow morally deficient, and in need of being shamed and held to account. In this narrative every scuffle between Palestinians and Israelis is a moral outrage committed by the Zionist oppressors, every death of a Palestinian is part of a massacre (the deaths of Israelis at the hands of Palestinians are never mentioned, unless it's as part of a campaign of stabbing Israelis being bigged up by racist idiots on social media), every military attack by the IDF on Hamas forces is part of a genocide. There's no recognition that there are two sides fighting. That hostilities often stem from Hamas and the Palestinians too.

That 18 year old Israeli soldiers might well be pissed off by Palestinians lobbing fucking huge rocks and Molotov cocktails at them, and retaliate. That normal, liberal Israelis who have sympathy for the Palestinians' cause might object to being demonised for defending their country against people who blatantly want them murdered. That they might have grandparents who survived or died in the Holocaust and as a result, are just a bit fucking angry when dealing with people whose political proponents go in for lauding Hitler and punting antisemitic conspiracy theories.

Yes, we know the Palestinian side of things too. As I've pointed out, I've been at pains to be even-handed here. But there's no meeting in the middle ground, is there?

Apologies for going off on one, but this stuff infuriates me, you know?

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Mar 2018, 20:44

Deebank wrote:
Nick wrote:

That figures.

One of the real fighters against fascism who has actually faced down real violent anti-semitism.

Oh please, have a word with yourself. Greenstein is on record with some shocking stuff. It's no surprise Labour binned him.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Mar 2018, 20:47

Hamas didn't just appear from a vacuum, you know. You can't look at any of these things out of context. It's a clusterfuck whichever way you look at it.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Mar 2018, 21:24

Nick wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Nick wrote:

That figures.

Oh please, have a word with yourself. Greenstein is on record with some shocking stuff. It's no surprise Labour binned him.

Know him do you? Or just swallow the cobblers you’re fed?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Mar 2018, 21:41

K wrote:The crazy thing is, even after all these pages of debate, the answer is still Corbyn, It is never Rees Mogg, is it?

:)

Yep - and I’ve never been what you’d call a fan.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 11 Mar 2018, 22:45

Diamond Dog wrote:

It would be difficult to dig such small numbers of voters out of the massive, nearly 50%, increase in the Labour vote since Labour voted Jeremy Corbyn as leader, back up to 44% in the latest Survation poll; treat that information as you will but Survation were the only polling company to get the last election right which shows they are the best of a bad lot when it comes to choosing their samples.

Regardless no one can deny the massive surge in Labour support under Jeremy Corbyn, the Jewish vote is an irrelevance, if they want to believe extreme right wing propaganda that a man who has spent his whole life fighting racism in all its forms is an anti-Semite more fool them, it is meaningless in the larger scheme if sad.

Before Going to Uni I was very pro-Israel, that was pretty easy in the 70s and early 80s, and even after becoming a lefty it wasn't something I gave a whole lot of thought to, until I lived on the same corridor as Palestinian botanist called Ebir when I did my Masters and she sat me down and explained to me the realities of being a West Bank Palestinian. Things have got so much worse since then as Griff's posts show, they live under an occupying force that has become home to a minority inured to murderous violence without consequences.

A sad country in thrall to a right wing kleptocracy kept in power by fear, not only sad for the Palestinians shot on the streets and bulldozed from their homes but for the millions of decent Israelis who abhor this being done in their name.

A solution seems further away with each passing year
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Nextdoorland”