NME ends print edition after 65 years as magazine "no longer financially viable"

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

NME ends print edition after 65 years as magazine "no longer financially viable"

Postby clive gash » 07 Mar 2018, 13:06

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: NME ends print edition after 65 years as magazine "no longer financially viable"

Postby naughty boy » 07 Mar 2018, 13:10

Sad but inevitable. The writing was on the wall as soon as it became a free rag.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: NME ends print edition after 65 years as magazine "no longer financially viable"

Postby The Prof » 07 Mar 2018, 13:30

It's a shame but there wasn't really any interesting content in the free printed version.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Mar 2018, 13:58

The Prof wrote:It's a shame but there wasn't really any interesting content in the free printed version.

There hadn't been much interesting content in the paid version before that for fifteen years either.

I think they could have survived as a monthly mag had they taken better editorial choices in the late 90s. They should have gone down the Quietus route of intelligent journalism, but IPC didn't have the vision.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 07 Mar 2018, 16:21

Didn't even know it was still going. :o
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Mar 2018, 19:32

Rolling Stone still going strong, too.
Looks like a couple of posters owe Matt Wilson an apology...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Mar 2018, 20:25

Yeah! And about so many things, too!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Mar 2018, 20:37

Matt Wilson has the last BCB laugh!

Good lord he will be insufferable now!!!!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Mar 2018, 20:40

I'm holding out for Rolling Stone to buy NME and put Bob Seger on the cover.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Mar 2018, 20:41

more likely to be PINK or Ariana Grande.
uggy poopy doody.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Mar 2018, 20:44

I was never that fussed about it anyway but then I came to it after the golden age. I picked up a couple of the few copies and they were just piffle.

Maybe there was a market for a smart magazine with a combination of new and old stuff with maybe more of a focus on the new. Sorta like a more hip Mojo, I dunno
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Mar 2018, 20:47

I devoured it from around 1984 to around 1990. It was pretentious as fuck but it opened SO many doors. I loved the fact it came out weekly, too. I still miss that a bit.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Mar 2018, 20:51

It’s sad but the reality is the NME most people are nostalgic for had long gone, years before the free mag era. It’s decline mirrored the decline of British guitar music and related musical tribalism and the rise of the “everything is good” consensus. My era was mid to late 80s to mid to late 90s - good writers, exciting bands - and NME was a Wednesday morning must read, despite some cringey attempts at manufacturing scenes (New Wave Of New Wave, anyone?). When they started trying to convince you the Libertines were anything other than a cackhanded throwback, the game was up.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 07 Mar 2018, 20:53

I read it throughout the 80s, really hanging on every word of my favourite critics, but felt it lost its way in the 90s, replacing critical analysis with facile Britpop cheerleading. I switched to Melody Maker in that decade, which was a much more intelligent read. I note that several Maker alumni, such as David Stubbs and David Bennun now write for The Quietus, which is usually a good read if sometimes a bit too hipster for my liking.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Mar 2018, 20:58

Ranking Ted wrote:It’s sad but the reality is the NME most people are nostalgic for had long gone, years before the free mag era. It’s decline mirrored the decline of British guitar music and related musical tribalism and the rise of the “everything is good” consensus. My era was mid to late 80s to mid to late 90s - good writers, exciting bands - and NME was a Wednesday morning must read, despite some cringey attempts at manufacturing scenes (New Wave Of New Wave, anyone?). When they started trying to convince you the Libertines were anything other than a cackhanded throwback, the game was up.

Aye. The Libertines deffo seemed like a nail in the coffin but even when I picked it up in the mid 90s I was never that impressed by it.

I always preferred magazines like Select or Vox.

It's sad but I have no desire to buy a music mag these days. Not even when I'm going on the train down to London

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 07 Mar 2018, 21:04

the masked man wrote:I read it throughout the 80s, really hanging on every word of my favourite critics, but felt it lost its way in the 90s, replacing critical analysis with facile Britpop cheerleading. I switched to Melody Maker in that decade, which was a much more intelligent read. I note that several Maker alumni, such as David Stubbs and David Bennon now write for The Quietus, which is usually a good read if sometimes a bit too hipster for my liking.

MM really took over from NME around the mid 90s, much more on it. The NME were suckered in by whole bunch of dismal fellow travellers and became cheerleaders rather than keeping their distance. Simon Price, Simon Reynolds, Taylor Parkes and so on at MM had much more bite and turn of phrase. I’d agree though that Select really led the way after a while, first time a monthly had done much more than look back or provide promo bumf for rock royalty.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 08 Mar 2018, 03:18

Never read it once. Though I was never really into reading any music / journo mags much, to be honest.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Mar 2018, 09:13

I read it from the early to mid-90s. It was pretty shit then, had a really sneery attitude to anything that wasn't jangly guitar bands or Marvin Gaye.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Mar 2018, 10:54

The Modernist wrote:
The Prof wrote:It's a shame but there wasn't really any interesting content in the free printed version.

There hadn't been much interesting content in the paid version before that for fifteen years either.

I think they could have survived as a monthly mag had they taken better editorial choices in the late 90s. They should have gone down the Quietus route of intelligent journalism, but IPC didn't have the vision.

There was a decision to lose their older demographic and make a grab for a younger readership.
The clever move would have been to retain their older readership and attract younger ones - they had managed to do this in the past.

It was at that point in the late ''90s that I bailed.

Did they still have decent writers?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Yakety Yak”