Oscars Tonight

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Oscars Tonight

Postby Dr Markus » 04 Mar 2018, 16:14

Anyone give a shit? I stopped caring along time ago. I think the expected lecturing from actors and directors will turn people off.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Oscars Tonight

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Mar 2018, 17:30

Dr Markus wrote:Anyone give a shit? I stopped caring along time ago. I think the expected lecturing from actors and directors will turn people off.

I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad. If anything, the fact that artists might use the occasion to speak up is one of the few aspects of the evening I AM interested in.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Mar 2018, 08:32

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad.

You think?

I think Del Toro is a hack but otherwise the one ’Best Picture’ nominee I’ve seen (Dunkirk) was excellent and the rest all look at least interesting (maybe not the Churchill one). It looked the strongest selection in years.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Mar 2018, 09:51

PENK wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I don’t give much of a shit because most of the movies are bad.

You think?

I think Del Toro is a hack but otherwise the one ’Best Picture’ nominee I’ve seen (Dunkirk) was excellent and the rest all look at least interesting (maybe not the Churchill one). It looked the strongest selection in years.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Lots of very fine films.

I understand how important it is for actors to make their position known and to be seen to be part of this movement, but by fuck it's not in the least entertaining. And I always watched the Oscars (red carpet and all) for the enjoyment.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Mar 2018, 10:10

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:
PENK wrote:

You think?

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Lots of very fine films.

I understand how important it is for actors to make their position known and to be seen to be part of this movement, but by fuck it's not in the least entertaining. And I always watched the Oscars (red carpet and all) for the enjoyment.

Yeah, it's tedious.

I've only seen Get Out, Dunkirk and Three Billboards but two of them are very good indeed. Judging by the reviews Call Me By My Name, Lady Bird and Phantom Thread are worth checking out too. I'm less fussed about Spielberg and Del Toro
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 05 Mar 2018, 11:54

The only film nominated that I tried to watch was Get Out. Didn't make it half-way through as it seemed ridiculously obvious and OTT. Pretty much the entire cast was annoying.

I'm all for satire, social commentary, etc., but this was a rather weak attempt in my view.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Mar 2018, 12:26

No great surprises really. Read a review of it from the BBC. Suggested it went well, and Emma stone kinda bombed when mentioning there was only one woman nominated for best director.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

algroth

Postby algroth » 05 Mar 2018, 14:08

Yeah, another vote in favour of this year's selection and, to be honest, the selection of most of the past few years as well. As far as I'm concerned the Oscars haven't been in this strong a streak since the 70s, and it makes the whole whingening around the awards ring fairly hollow to my ears. But granted, they could do with far less preaching at the actual ceremony.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Mar 2018, 14:28

It shows like it was a tame affair this year.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Mar 2018, 23:03

Imagine how livid you’d be if you died and then popped up in a montage with musical accompaniment from Eddie fucking Vedder. Thanks a bunch.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

algroth

Postby algroth » 05 Mar 2018, 23:16

nev gash wrote:Imagine how livid you’d be if you died and then popped up in a montage with musical accompaniment from Eddie fucking Vedder. Thanks a bunch.

Beats Lady Gaga or Celine Dion at least. :lol:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 06 Mar 2018, 13:02

At least there was some laughs.

Emma Watson jokes she needs a tattoo proof reader

http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43292921

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 06 Mar 2018, 13:19

I'm glad Markus wasn't interested otherwise I'd never know what happened.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “Screenadelica”