BCB's Top TV shows poll - FINAL CALL FOR LISTS!

..and why not?
Samoan

Re: BCB's Top 50/100 TV shows

Postby Samoan » 27 Feb 2018, 19:47

Goat Boy wrote:
K wrote:It's not quite as true as that. Many "great" shows go on too long. The first two series of the US House of Cards were fantastic, but it turned into a ludicrous self parody.

It’s a common flaw but one that’s often overlooked. Even Twin Peaks, which I adore, had some very weak episodes in season 2. The Wire had season 5 and so on. There’s some great Tv shows that should have ended long before they did like Simpsons and Frasier. American shows are more prone to this because they churn them out so you don’t get the succint greatness of, say, Father Ted.

It's true although Father Ted tragically concluded with Dermot Morgan's death at only 45.

RIP
Last edited by Samoan on 27 Feb 2018, 19:51, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Feb 2018, 19:51

When voting I think you have to make allowances for things like that. I'm going to vote for The Simpsons even though it's been pretty rubbish for 67% of its run, because its peak period was so good.

But something that had two or three great episodes then a load of toss? Maybe not.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 27 Feb 2018, 21:51

How about choosing specific episodes instead of whole series?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 21:56

nev harp wrote:How about choosing specific episodes instead of whole series?

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

And what about series that ran for years with only a general common theme - like World In Action?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 21:58

Parkinson ?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Feb 2018, 22:00

No. Chaos would ensue.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Feb 2018, 22:01

To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out which Babestation channel I prefer, I've not even narrowed it down to a timeslot yet.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 22:02

Darkness_Fish wrote:To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out which Babestation channel I prefer, I've not even narrowed it down to a timeslot yet.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 27 Feb 2018, 22:04

PENK wrote:

No. Chaos would ensue.

What Which season of Chaos?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 23:05

Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
Rayge wrote:
OK. Put up a list of the best films of the 1980s – your choice or of any website – and if I've seen any of them, I'll give you an honest assessment of how they stack up against my favourite TV shows of the period. Because that is what we're talking about on this thread, favourite TV shows, personal opinions.
Or we can just leave it and get on with our lives

Why bother? It's like saying the 80s were better than the 70s for music and using Bros as an example.

No, it isn't. It's completely different.
For what it's worth, the reason I said that the 'golden age' of TV started in the 1980s (which is I think all I did claim) was twofold:

That's not what you said:

WG Kaspar wrote:That's a good idea. These days they're better than movies.

Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
They're not, but they're easy to consume.

Yeah, that's bollocks but it's become some kind of Truth these days

It's been true since the 1980s

You then list a bunch of shows that does include some good stuff that I liked (Roseanne, Cheers) but also risible stuff like Married with Children and some fluff like Dallas and Quantum Leap that do your claim no favours at all. I think it’s pretty weak stuff really.

Some 80s films I enjoy...

The shining
The Elephant Man
Airplane!
Fanny and Alexander
Raging Bull
King of Comedy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Das Boot
The Thing (in fact lots of great and occasionally funny horror films: Evil Dead 1 and 2, Reanimator, Videodrome, The Fly, The Entity, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer etc)
Akira
Bladerunner
Fitzcarraldo
Once Upon A Time In America
Withnail and I
Amadeus
Paris, texas
Spinal Tap
Ran
Come and See
Blue Velvet
Manhunter
The Vanishing
Do The Right Thing
Aliens
Local Hero
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 Feb 2018, 08:02

Get your lists in to me, everyone! I’ve already had lists from four posters and so far our leading shows are a Michael Gira concert and a documentary about Coil.

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 28 Feb 2018, 08:11

PENK wrote:Get your lists in to me, everyone! I’ve already had lists from four posters and so far our leading shows are a Michael Gira concert and a documentary about Coil.

Keep it open for a while...knocking down a list to 30 is actually proving surprisingly difficult...Hell, could have given you a list of 30 animated shows alone...

driftin

Postby driftin » 28 Feb 2018, 08:44

PENK wrote:Get your lists in to me, everyone! I’ve already had lists from four posters and so far our leading shows are a Michael Gira concert and a documentary about Coil.

I would like to know what those two are because I want to watch them.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Feb 2018, 09:10

driftin wrote:

I would like to know what those two are because I want to watch them.

:lol:

jest FAILED, Ed!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Feb 2018, 09:32

I'm not sure I can think of enough TV shows I like to make a list, but I'm all for spamming Penk with Coil interviews on youtube, if that's ok.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

watts

Postby watts » 28 Feb 2018, 09:57

I want to play. How big a list? Are we assigning points to them? Where is the rules/instructions?

Ah...

PENK wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:My question would be how many we should try to come up with. 10 seems too few, but 25 might be pushing it. Maybe a point system like we've done elsewhere, with a maximum of 25 but an option to spread the points among fewer?

I think something like 30 shows - 150 points or something. That should ensure a good spread.

And for those weird people who haven't watched 30 TV shows they've liked, they can choose fewer and adjust the number of points accordingly.

Cool. List will be sent forthwith.
--m

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 Feb 2018, 10:18

Added a link to G's instructions thread in the first post now.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 28 Feb 2018, 10:43

Goat Boy wrote:Some 80s films I enjoy...

Cheers Dougie, here's what I think (and apologies for any errors, I didn't fact check, relied on memory, always a dangerous game at my age).

The shining - Never seen, because it's a horror movie (see below) and JN is a pathetic ham
The Elephant Man - Seen on TV. Not keen. Thought John Hurt was a bit mannered, but basically the same problem with this as with Eraserhead - direction was alienating
Airplane! - Seen on TV several times. One of the really great comedy films, brilliant
Fanny and Alexander - only seen once on TV. I know that Bergman considers it his best film, but nothing comes close to Cries and Whispers for me – which is not to say F&A is not a very fine movie, it's just a bit quiet sand contemplative and muted rainbows after the sex and religion blood storm of C&W
Raging Bull - Never seen
King of Comedy - Never seen
Raiders of the Lost Ark - enjoyable pop trash with a huge hole in the story line, viz that Indy actually does nothing to advance the plot. Without him the Nazis still find the Ark, open it and die (this insight courtesy of A F Fowler)
Das Boot - saw the TV miniseries, which I enjoyed, in a masochistic way (I'm claustrophobic)
The Thing (in fact lots of great and occasionally funny horror films: Evil Dead 1 and 2, Reanimator, Videodrome, The Fly, The Entity, Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer etc) - I heartily dislike horror movies and have not intentionally seen one since the 1960s. I did see Henry, which I would not class as a horror movie, on TV, and liked it. Come to think of it, the preponderance of horror and slasher movies is one reason I went off cinema in the 1980s
Akira - never seen whole movie, odd bits look great, will watch if it ever comes on TV
Bladerunner - seemed to me like a police procedural with twiddly bits. Wasn't overly impressed. And Harrison Ford always strikes me as a bit wooden. A fine mahogany perhaps, but definitely ligneous
Fitzcarraldo – Never seen, by choice. Not keen on German cinema
Once Upon A Time In America - seen a couple of times on TV. A great, immersive sprawl of a movie. Really very fine in my view
Withnail and I - seen on TV. I don't find it as amusing as some. It's got a faint air of Carry On Resting about it. REG is at least mildly annoying in everything
Amadeus - a biopic of Mozart in a Ken Russell stylee. I should fucking coco. Never seen
Paris, texas - saw once on TV. Can't remember a thing about it except HDS looking mournful
Spinal Tap - seen on TV, more than once. Pretty funny, but ultimately a bit short and in-jokeish
Ran - Never seen
Come and See - never heard of it
Blue Velvet - saw on TV. First Lynch film I actually enjoyed, and not just for the Orbison, but his best work was yet to come. On TV :)
Manhunter - saw this on TV, I think. This is the Lecter film with Gus Grissom as the FBI guy? It's all right. Enjoyed it more than Silence of the Lambs, anyway
The Vanishing - Never seen
Do The Right Thing - Never seen
Aliens - Never seen any of the franchise. Horror films. Just say no
Local Hero - Yeah, that's a goodie. I like Forsyth's stuff. Gregory's Girl I enjoyed a little bit more, mind.

So, yeah, some great films there and a few clunkers (IMO). Thanks for the list, seriously – I'd forgotten some of those, or put them in another decade.
But it still stands that Cheers (275 episodes) and Hill Street Blues alone, every episode watched at least half a dozen times, never mind MOTD, Gardener's World and all those US sitcoms I listed, gave me much more viewing pleasure in the decade than all the good ones put together. That's all I'm saying.
Oh, and Airplane reminds me that Police Squad was an ’80s thing, and that contains more belly laughs just about than Airplane, because it's long form and the continuing gags get to develop.
And Dallas was a great piece of TV.
Last edited by Rayge on 28 Feb 2018, 12:11, edited 2 times in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

watts

Postby watts » 28 Feb 2018, 11:41

I'm having a hard time eliminating stuff from 53 down to 30.
I can't decide whether to go for favorites that are unlikely to have any other fans here or a canon of inarguable greatness...
--m

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Feb 2018, 12:19

You should watch Ran and Come and See, Rayge. Both great films
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Screenadelica”