BCB's Top TV shows poll - FINAL CALL FOR LISTS!

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: BCB's Top 50/100 TV shows

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 10:45

Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
They're not, but they're easy to consume.

Yeah, that's bollocks but it's become some kind of Truth these days

It's been true since the 1980s

It really hasn't. The golden age of telly drama didn't even kick in until the late 90s/early 00s. Before then there was a golden age of comedy in the 90s but that hardly justifies telly being greater than cinema.

Even if you look at the best tv shows in the last 20 years I don't think there is a convincing argument that telly has usurped the cinema but it's certainly improved significantly although I would argue that there's been a slide in quality since The Wire/Breaking Bad/Sopranos
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 10:52

Yes.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 27 Feb 2018, 10:52

Mmm, not so sure. I think five or so years ago that was true but not anymore. I’ve seen a handful of films recently (Florida Project, Phantom Thread, Baby Driver, new Blade Runner, Shape of Water, Toni Erdmann) that have restarted my interest in Cinema. On TV there’s been precious little (Handmaids Tale, Divorce) that bothers me. The box is stuffed with prestige drama that aims high but doesn’t deliver or reward the 10 hours you need to invest.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

`

Postby ` » 27 Feb 2018, 10:54

Here's my initial thoughts..

In roughly chronological order, here are my initial thoughts
(apologies for any titles I've got wrong or the loads I've shamefully forgotten)

UK Drama
The Avengers
The Prisoner
The Sweeney
I Claudius
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Boys from the Blackstuff
Our Friends in the North
State of Play
Life of Mars
Line of Duty

UK Comedy
Hancock's Half Hour
That Was the Week That Was
Steptoe and Son
Til Death Do Us Part
Monty Python
Rising Damp
Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads
Fawlty Towers
Spaced
Alan Partridge
Father Ted
League of Gentlemen
The Office
The Thick of It
Inside No 9
Catastrophe

US Drama
Twilight Zone
The Untouchables
Man From Uncle
Batman
Star Trek
Colombo
Roots
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Oz
Sopranos
Six Feet Under
The West Wing
The Wire
Deadwood
The Shield
Mad Men
Breakiing Bad
Justified
Game of Thrones
The Americans
Better Call Saul
Halt and Catch Fire
Batman

US Comedy
Sorry, but just not a fan of those irritating, self-conscious yukfest-type shows (e.g. Frasier, Big Bang Theory, et al) where they lock 100 writers in a room until every line from every character is funnee. Am sure other posters here who do appreciate that sort of thing will be able to add loads to the below list)

The Phil Silvers Show (aka Sgt Bilko)
I love Lucy
The Simpsons
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Silicon Valley
VEEP

Overseas TV
Heimat (Germany)
Strumpet City (Ireland)
Das Boot (Germany)
Spiral (France)
The Killing (Denmark)
Borgen (Denmark)
The Bridge (Denmark/Sweden)
Locked Up (Spain)
Rake (Australia)

Others - Docs, music, etc = UK unless otherwise noted
7-Up
TOTP
Ready Steady Go
Civilization
Ascent of Man
All You Need is Love
David Attenborough's Life series
David Attenborough's Planet series
Ken Burns PBS docs (US)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 10:57

Actually I've almost given up on TV over the last year or two - box sets/big-budget series at least. The basic ideas for a lot of these things are fucking stupid - you have to really buy into all kinds of ludicrous shit. They should get Alan Bennett to do a big show about old people sitting down to drink tea in a caravan, eh Dougie? :)

Fargo and True Detective were excellent, however, and they weren't too long ago. I want to see Black Mirror too, but worry it's another of these gimmicky sci-fi things.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:20

nev harp wrote:Mmm, not so sure. I think five or so years ago that was true but not anymore. I’ve seen a handful of films recently (Florida Project, Phantom Thread, Baby Driver, new Blade Runner, Shape of Water, Toni Erdmann) that have restarted my interest in Cinema. On TV there’s been precious little (Handmaids Tale, Divorce) that bothers me. The box is stuffed with prestige drama that aims high but doesn’t deliver or reward the 10 hours you need to invest.

There's actually signs that things are picking up although Hollywood is still lost in comic books.

Moonlight was great and beautiful for example. Netflix has Altered Carbon, cinema has Bladerunner 2049. There is a bunch of stuff I need to catch up on too (Phantom Thread, Florida project, Call Me By Your Name, Empire of the Serpent etc).

Horror has picked up in recent years as well (It Follows, Get Out, The Witch, Neon Demon, Under The Shadow, Raw, Green Room). TV still can't do horror.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:23

Super-Jank wrote:Actually I've almost given up on TV over the last year or two - box sets/big-budget series at least. The basic ideas for a lot of these things are fucking stupid - you have to really buy into all kinds of ludicrous shit. They should get Alan Bennett to do a big show about old people sitting down to drink tea in a caravan, eh Dougie? :)

Fargo and True Detective were excellent, however, and they weren't too long ago. I want to see Black Mirror too, but worry it's another of these gimmicky sci-fi things.

I didn't like the last series of Fargo although I enjoyed the first couple of series. The film is better though and, crucially, enough.

When people are raving over Stranger Things you know something is awry.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:27

I forgot about Boyhood.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:29

Did you see it?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Feb 2018, 11:31

The Modernist wrote:Advertise it in NDL if you want proper numbers entering.

Can you use your super admin powers to make it a cross-forum thread?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 27 Feb 2018, 11:37

He’s too busy using them to curry favour in the cup.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:40

Super-Jank wrote:Did you see it?

Yes. I thought it was great. I wrote about it on Screenadelica you twat!

You don't need ten hours or multiple series. Films can do so much in 2 hours, you know?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:42

:x

aye

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 11:57

Super-Jank wrote::x

aye

News just in!!

Alan Bennett is currently writing a series set in an old folks home in Northampton. Maggie Smith is to star alongside Tom Courtenay as two headstrong pensioners who decide to embark on an epic journey to Blackpool in a Morris Minor before they die. The show, entitled The Final Journey is due to be broadcast on ITV in the Autumn.

One to look forward to, John!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 12:23

It would be difficult to imagine anything more enjoyable!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 12:24

Unless of course they also get pursued by an enraged queen from another planet

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 12:31

Goat Boy wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

It really hasn't. The golden age of telly drama didn't even kick in until the late 90s/early 00s. Before then there was a golden age of comedy in the 90s but that hardly justifies telly being greater than cinema.

Even if you look at the best tv shows in the last 20 years I don't think there is a convincing argument that telly has usurped the cinema but it's certainly improved significantly although I would argue that there's been a slide in quality since The Wire/Breaking Bad/Sopranos

Yes, and many of the claims for television are made on the back of a relatively small number of dramas.
Television drama's biggest achievement in the 21st century is to reinvent the soap opera (which is actually what a lot of the long form narrative dramas are) as prestige drama for educated viewers and package and distribute it in a way (box sets, binge watching etc.) that makes it exciting to consume.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 12:35

Super-Jank wrote:Unless of course they also get pursued by an enraged queen from another planet

Ooooo! I'm in!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 12:45

:lol:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Feb 2018, 14:12

Goat Boy wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

You were a primary schoolboy in the 1980s, Dougie, so I hope you'll forgive me for not taking your word for this over the impressions I formed as an adult and, at the time, someone who was well versed in, and deeply embedded in, movie culture. :)

There's also a wider point; virtually everything ever made in Hollywood and indeed elsewhere for the cinema is available to watch on TV sets or PCs, so the only things that can be considered exclusively cinematic involve high tech that does not yet translate to home watching - big spectacle, big sound, 3D, all the usual suspects. TV offers so much more in terms of factual programming, real long form drama, situation comedies, immediacy (live sports coverage for example) and so on. Cinema is essentially an art form; TV is a medium that can deliver way more.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Screenadelica”