BCB's Top TV shows poll - FINAL CALL FOR LISTS!

..and why not?
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

BCB's Top TV shows poll - FINAL CALL FOR LISTS!

Postby Penk! » 26 Feb 2018, 19:25

Edit: this is now ON

See instructions thread here or simply:

-Compile an ordered list of your 30 favourite television shows. They can be of any genre and be from any time period. The only critieria is it must be stuff that's made for television.
- You have 150 points to allocate to your list. How you weight this is up to you.
- PM your completed list to me and I will compile the results into a poll. We prefer your list to be sent to me rather than posted on the board so the overall list comes as more of a surprise when posted.

If you can be bothered reading any more:

you can vote for whatever you like as long as it was made for TV - not just long-running dramas or sitcoms but also miniseries, documentaries, gameshows, talk shows and so on.

The 30 shows-150 points thing has worked before for similar polls; basically, the votes are counted first, so while giving Mrs Brown's Boys 121 of your 150 points might help it beat other shows that only get one vote, it won't help it beat something that got two votes with one point each.

Of course if that is all a bit confusing you can just send me 30 shows and say they all get five points each.

If you really, really, really can't think of 30 shows you want to vote for then feel free to send me a list of 20, with 100 points split between them, or even 10 with 50 points split between them.

A few other clarifications:

"Anthology" series or series with changing casts/stories/settings will be counted as single shows. So True Detective, Dr Who and Blackadder are single shows, you can't vote separately for different series (I think we're assuming that most people voting for True Detective are doing so on the basis of the first series, of course!).

Remakes or reboots will be counted separately. So if voting for Battlestar Galactica, for example, specify which version.

And different series under the same umbrella are separate shows. So vote for three or four different Star Treks if you want.
Last edited by Penk! on 19 Mar 2018, 05:54, edited 6 times in total.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

WG Kaspar

Re: BCB's Top 50/100 TV shows

Postby WG Kaspar » 26 Feb 2018, 19:57

That's a good idea. These days they're better than movies.
I run out of talent

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2018, 20:34

WG Kaspar wrote:That's a good idea. These days they're better than movies.

They're not, but they're easy to consume.

I might be able to do a top twenty, but I'd struggle beyond that I think.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 26 Feb 2018, 20:42

I'm for it.

Should it perhaps be confined to dramas only although saying that, some dramas have an equally strong comedy element.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Feb 2018, 20:54

I like the idea, but think the rules should be, if anything, extremely loose - the only qualification (imo) should be that it was shown in serial form on television (cable or broadcast, but not exclusively on line).

My question would be how many we should try to come up with. 10 seems too few, but 25 might be pushing it. Maybe a point system like we've done elsewhere, with a maximum of 25 but an option to spread the points among fewer?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Feb 2018, 20:59

Yeah, I don't know why you would want to limit it.

I'm in but I could probably only muster 20 or less TV shows I really love
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Feb 2018, 21:09

The Modernist wrote:

Yeah, that's bollocks but it's become some kind of Truth these days
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Feb 2018, 21:10

The Modernist wrote:

:)

The real creative talents in Hollywood have been working in TV for the last 20 years or so. You might not want to believe it, but if you’ve watched more than a handful of films and series recently it’s kind of self-evident.

I’m up for this - there’s a hell of a lot to choose from especially if we go right back to the 50s (Hancock, Bilko, Twilight Zone) AND if we include everything (chat shows and satirical programmes, for example).
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Feb 2018, 21:16

How lucky then that we have a whole world of cinema to choose from

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 26 Feb 2018, 21:20

Yeah, we should be able to include any style of show.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Feb 2018, 21:29

I was thinking of not including stuff like TV movies or one-off talk show things but certainly not restricting it to eg drama or long-running things. That would mean missing a lot of great things.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 26 Feb 2018, 21:32

I'm in. These days, I love a good TV serial, and love luxuriating in a decent box set, be it from HBO, Scandinavia, France or even the BBC. Let's do this!

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 26 Feb 2018, 21:41

toomanyhatz wrote:My question would be how many we should try to come up with. 10 seems too few, but 25 might be pushing it. Maybe a point system like we've done elsewhere, with a maximum of 25 but an option to spread the points among fewer?

I think something like 30 shows - 150 points or something. That should ensure a good spread.

And for those weird people who haven't watched 30 TV shows they've liked, they can choose fewer and adjust the number of points accordingly.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 26 Feb 2018, 21:42

I could do 30 easily.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2018, 23:35

Advertise it in NDL if you want proper numbers entering.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 27 Feb 2018, 04:19

I'm into this!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

`

Postby ` » 27 Feb 2018, 10:26

Super-Jank wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

:)

The real creative talents in Hollywood have been working in TV for the last 20 years or so. You might not want to believe it, but if you’ve watched more than a handful of films and series recently it’s kind of self-evident.

I’m up for this - there’s a hell of a lot to choose from especially if we go right back to the 50s (Hancock, Bilko, Twilight Zone) AND if we include everything (chat shows and satirical programmes, for example).

Agreed - as would, I think, most people who live outside a big city and whose only access to cinema is the CGI/super-hero and "franchise" drivel that fills up local multiplexes. There was a great piece by Hanif Kureshi about this in Saturday's Guardian.

Ultimately, don't think anyone who started watching TV in the 60s/70s and whose viewing habits have been transformed by box sets and long-form TV would find it that hard to come up with 100 titles.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Feb 2018, 10:29

Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Yeah, that's bollocks but it's become some kind of Truth these days

It's been true since the 1980s
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Feb 2018, 10:31

Super-Jank wrote:The real creative talents in Hollywood have been working in TV for the last 20 years or so. You might not want to believe it, but if you’ve watched more than a handful of films and series recently it’s kind of self-evident.

Shockingly, I agree with every word.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 27 Feb 2018, 10:40

Interesting idea, but I'd keep reality programming out of it or have a separate poll for that sort of thing..

Return to “Screenadelica”