Your own ultimate list of albums...only ten!

Do talk back
echolalia

Re: Your own ultimate list of albums...only ten!

Postby echolalia » 26 Feb 2018, 00:15

Eyeless in Gaza are great. I'm listening to them just now - they get better with every year that passes.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 26 Feb 2018, 11:43

Darkness_Fish wrote:Blimey, I don't think I've ever encountered a positive opinion on this site about an album I dearly love. I automatically replied in the defensive, expecting cynicism. Some of their recent stuff isn't that shabby, either. Not in the same league or style, but quite distinctive and well worth a listen.

echolalia wrote:Eyeless in Gaza are great. I'm listening to them just now - they get better with every year that passes.

I'm gonna have to revisit them this week and maybe check out some of their later stuff. I had everything pretty much up to Rust Red September which is where I left them. Sadly I gave all my vinyl away over a decade ago but I think I gave some of my EiG LPs to my son.

NP - I've had Scale Amiss stuck in my head all day too!!!

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 26 Feb 2018, 11:54

Blimey, I don't think I've ever encountered a positive opinion on this site about an album I dearly love. I automatically replied in the defensive, expecting cynicism. Some of their recent stuff isn't that shabby, either. Not in the same league or style, but quite distinctive and well worth a listen.

I've liked this album ever since your turned me onto them years ago...

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 26 Feb 2018, 12:59

An Eyeless In Gaza Clique... never in my wildest dreams!!

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 26 Feb 2018, 14:01

In no particular order -
The White Album
Blue Lines
If Only I Could Remember My Name
Low
Station to Station
Spirit of Eden
Moon Safari
In a Silent Way
A Love Supreme
Curtis

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 26 Feb 2018, 19:30

I'm another eyeless fan. No noise on the pillows and prayers comp was my introduction to them.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Feb 2018, 20:25

Bloody hell, they're more popular than The Beatles around here.

I'm beginning to go off 'em, they've had their day.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 26 Feb 2018, 23:29

Darkness_Fish wrote:Bloody hell, they're more popular than The Beatles around here.

I'm beginning to go off 'em, they've had their day.

Yeah... too commercial.

(They never bothered the hit parade, did they? Welcome Now is pop perfection though.)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Feb 2018, 00:59

Eyeless in Gaza are great!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

driftin

Postby driftin » 27 Feb 2018, 05:44

These kinds of lists are hard to make because they always change on a daily or even hourly basis but right now, at this very moment, this is what I want. Ask me tomorrow and it'll be different.

Coil - The Ape of Naples
Yellow Swans - Going Places
The KLF - Chill Out
The Future Sound of London - Dead Cities
Aphex Twin - …I Care Because You Do
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
Nico - The Marble Index
The Residents - Eskimo
Autechre - Amber
Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 27 Feb 2018, 07:09

driftin wrote:These kinds of lists are hard to make because they always change on a daily or even hourly basis but right now, at this very moment, this is what I want. Ask me tomorrow and it'll be different.

Coil - The Ape of Naples
Yellow Swans - Going Places
The KLF - Chill Out
The Future Sound of London - Dead Cities
Aphex Twin - …I Care Because You Do
Current 93 - Thunder Perfect Mind
Nico - The Marble Index
The Residents - Eskimo
Autechre - Amber
Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker

Agree! Came to the same conclusion when I started the thread...
Eskimo! Yeay! Great one!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 07:35

Yes!

‘Ask me again tomorrow and it would be a completely different list’ :lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 27 Feb 2018, 08:32

Super-Jank wrote:Yes!

My list is at last in part a seasonal one. I'm driving to and from work partly in daylight and (current cold snap aside) there are the first intimations of spring. If the thread had been started 2 or 3 weeks ago...
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 08:50

I don’t feel that. My top 20 or so albums has been the same for years. Sometimes I might pick a different record by the same band (Roxy) but a lot of it hasn’t changed since my mid 20s
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 09:05

Goat Boy wrote:

I don’t feel that. My top 20 or so albums has been the same for years. Sometimes I might pick a different record by the same band (Roxy) but a lot of it hasn’t changed since my mid 20s

Some people don't set themselves high standards, they're easily impressed.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 09:06

It's one of those things you see a lot, tho', isn't it? It's an odd one. People can be so fickle!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 09:07

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:

Some people don't set themselves high standards, they're easily impressed.

I often think that.

I was going to start a thread on this a few days ago, but didn't think it would be worth it.

But you do seem to get people who constantly listen to music, they always have something on the go almost regardless of what shit it is. It's weird.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Feb 2018, 09:26

Super-Jank wrote:But you do seem to get people who constantly listen to music, they always have something on the go almost regardless of what shit it is. It's weird.

Why is it weird? :? We're music people here; i'm always trying new things, even if I go back to my wheelhouse stuff for the joy and excitement i'm guaranteed it will bring.
Goat Boy wrote:

Probably same here, though it's probably since I was about 30-ish.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Feb 2018, 09:31

I'd only really have a consistent top 4, everything beyond that is interchangeable-ish. Obviously, there'll be the same few 50 or so albums competing for top 20 status, and some new contenders.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 10:06

It’s like when you see peoples lists and they have a bunch of new stuff from 2014 in there and part of me thinks it’s just for show. “I’m still listening and loving new music!”, that sorta thing. I am a bit sceptical, I admit. I’m not discounting it completely mind and I understand that peoples approaches to music vary wildly but it’s not something I can relate to really.

Like I said, my top 20 or so has been largely the same for years. Some newer records hover around the top 100 perhaps but not many. It’s why when you see peoples lists of favourite albums it’s generally more interesting to me the further back you go. Generally speaking, music simply hits you harder when you are younger so it makes sense that the music you discover during that period (say, from your teens to your mid 20s) will be hard to beat because it’s the soundtrack to a particularly intense period of your life.

As you get older and things settle down a bit (I don’t mean into work or relationships but settling into yourself) there’s maybe less opportunities for records to crack the top 20 you know. When I think back to that period it was very emotionally up and down for me. I’m sure it is for a lot of people because, hey, growing up but the relationship with your favourite records is just so intense and all consuming. It’s like those teenage crushes you have at school. Now that I’m approaching 40 I can recognise that this intensity is probably gone forever, to a degree. There’s still moments of course and records still blow me away but it’s not quite the same as it once was. When I think about, say, A Wizard A True Star I know that it partly means so much to me because I was going through a difficult period and struggling with depression when I first heard it. That record was like a life jacket to me (specifically, Sometimes I Don’t Know What To Feel) but the whole thing provided some kind of magical escape. These days I’m settled, I’m relatively stable, it’s just different (maybe I need to start smoking weed again).
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Yakety Yak”