Lambert
Carvalhal
Pardew
Moyes

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Rate the PL managers

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Feb 2018, 12:17

Shall we make this a touch more interesting - how about we rate them assuming they all started with exactly the same squad of players available and had exactly the same amount of resources/finance available to spend.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Feb 2018, 12:23

Ok sure!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Feb 2018, 12:33

On Current form.
Guardiola
Pochettino
Conte
Mourinho
Klopp
Wenger
Dyche
Howe
Puel
Hughton
Wagner
Benitez
Carvalhal
Hodgson
Moyes
Allardyce
Lambert
Pardew
Pellegrino

In the grand scheme of things

Guardiola
Mourinho :(
Conte
Benitez
Wenger
Klopp
Pochettino
Hodgson
Puel
Dyche
Howe
Hughton
Wagner
Moyes
Carvalhal
Allardyce
Lambert
Pardew
Pellegrino
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Feb 2018, 12:44

a painter man wrote:Big Sam. Long may he reign at the ev.

He certainly did at the 'Ammers, didn't he kids?!
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Feb 2018, 13:09

I got bored putting the whole lot in order, but this is the top ten or so..

Guardiola
Pochettino
Klopp/Conte
Dyche/Howe
Mourinho
Benitez
Hughton
Wenger/Wagner

I agree with Markus on the bottom three.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Feb 2018, 13:56

I'm going with this selection because I think managers who actually win things should be high up the list.

Mourinho - In terms of success and trophies, I still think he's the best. If I was going to have a manager in charge of England, I would choose him over anyone else because tactically he is superb even if he is ultimately very defensive.

Conte - Won the PL in his first season with a group of players that mostly weren't his. Superb record at Juve too.

Benitez - Won the Champions League in his first season with Liverpool and Milan Baros upfront. Great job at Chelsea and I'm sure if he had more money at Newcastle he'd do a great job.

Wenger - Invincibles -

Guardiola - Once he's won the CL with City I think he'll rise up the rankings. Has serious oil money behind him to basically buy his way to success.

Klopp - Did well at Mainz and Dortmund. Think he's got enormous potential for Liverpool to punch above their financial weight but needs to start winning things soon.

Pochettino - Fantastic job at Spurs but hasn't won anything yet. Will he go to Real Madrid?

Moyes - Did a brilliant job at Everton. I'd prefer him over the two below.

Allardyce / Hodgson - Did a great job at Bolton / Fulham which people seem to forget. Limited ability at bigger clubs.

Howe - Marvellous job in getting Bournemouth to the top flight and keeping them there. Untested elsewhere.

Dyche - See above with Burnley.

Hughton / Wagner - Getting smaller clubs into top flight

Pardew / Lambert - Don't think he's got what it takes to stop the rot at a club when things go wrong.

Carvalhal / Puel / Pellegrino - Not enough time to make judgements.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Feb 2018, 14:32

Toby wrote:
Benitez - Won the Champions League in his first season with Liverpool and Milan Baros upfront. Great job at Chelsea and I'm sure if he had more money at Newcastle he'd do a great job.

:lol: There was a lot worse players than him playing in that game for Liverpool.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Feb 2018, 16:22

Do you mean currently?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Feb 2018, 16:27

Toby wrote:Pochettino - Fantastic job at Spurs but hasn't won anything yet (A). Will he go to Real Madrid(B)?

A) Loads of matches
B) Not a fucking earthly. He's far too intelligent.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Feb 2018, 16:28

Toby wrote:Howe - Marvellous job in getting Bournemouth to the top flight and keeping them there. Untested elsewhere.

Flop at Burnley.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Feb 2018, 17:12

Goat Boy wrote:Do you mean currently?

Um :? , yeah sure.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Feb 2018, 17:50

Rayge wrote:
Toby wrote:Pochettino - Fantastic job at Spurs but hasn't won anything yet (A). Will he go to Real Madrid(B)?

A) Loads of matches
B) Not a fucking earthly. He's far too intelligent.

I can see him staying at Spurs if they win stuff soon. And yeah, we all know Real Madrid is a poisoned chalice for any manager, but I don't think you can rule the possibility out entirely.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Feb 2018, 18:45

Rayge wrote:
Toby wrote:Howe - Marvellous job in getting Bournemouth to the top flight and keeping them there. Untested elsewhere.

Flop at Burnley.

To be fair to Howe, at the very time he took the Burnley job his mother feel very ill - he was having to commute virtually every day from the south coast to Lancashire and, when not, still had all that entails on his hands. He never talked about it at the time.

I was one of those who used to throw that in his face - I don;t any longer. I think we should wait and see how he gets on when, and if, he gets another chance elsewhere.
Cocaine

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 23 Feb 2018, 19:38

Poch is number one,
Wenger number two, and you can do what you like with rest.

Mourinho would be number two but he is a git.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Feb 2018, 19:58

Diamond Dog wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Flop at Burnley.

To be fair to Howe, at the very time he took the Burnley job his mother feel very ill - he was having to commute virtually every day from the south coast to Lancashire and, when not, still had all that entails on his hands. He never talked about it at the time.

I was one of those who used to throw that in his face - I don;t any longer. I think we should wait and see how he gets on when, and if, he gets another chance elsewhere.

I was not aware of that, DD. But I wasn't so much throwing it in his face as challenging Toby's assertion that he was untested

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Feb 2018, 20:02

Sorry Rayge, wrong choice of words by me - it's a term that sums up how he is always commented on, that's all.
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Feb 2018, 23:33

The Modernist wrote:I got bored putting the whole lot in order, but this is the top ten or so..

Guardiola
Pochettino
Klopp/Conte
Dyche/Howe
Mourinho
Benitez
Hughton
Wenger/Wagner

I agree with Markus on the bottom three.

This is obviously currently.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Feb 2018, 21:52

Guardiola
Benitez
Mourinho

Klopp
Pochettino
Wenger

Conte
Hodgson
Howe
Dyche
Allardyce
Hughton
Wagner
Pellegrino
Carvalhal

Puel
Moyes
Lambert
Pardew

It's very hard to order, you've got the top three who've won European Cups, and achieved things in multiple leagues. Mourinho would've been higher, but he seems to be going stale, the disaster at Chelsea and the current miserable Utd team indicate a real decline. The next three are managers who create entertaining but flawed football, and I just think Klopp is the most entertaining of them all. Then you've got the doing well, but yet to get a proper gig on the main stage, and Hodgson. Then you've got the Pardews. To be fair, Puel and Moyes could do something, I haven't completely lost faith in them yet.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joklend

Postby joklend » 25 Feb 2018, 15:47

Agree with DF although I'd have Benitez and Conte in the second group.

Return to “Sporting Life”