Total votes: 40

Samoan

Re: Rees Mogg or Corbyn?

Postby Samoan » 18 Feb 2018, 18:57

K wrote:...
At least he cares about people.

Corbyn is a seething misanthrope.

I'm Abstaining from voting.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2018, 19:05

Samoan wrote:

Oh dear.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 18 Feb 2018, 19:13

The Modernist wrote:
Samoan wrote:

Oh dear.

You see. This is why it is so hard to have any sort of debate about Corbyn. Any criticism of him is seen as sacrilege, and noses are looked down and you can hear the tutting of the metropolitan elite from all the way out here in Bucks.
You don't like me...do you?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 20:17

Toby wrote:Oh I'm on my own but I don't resort to making cheap jibes about the other person. It is classic leftist thought - 'oh look, he doesn't know what he's doing!'

Why don't you just engage with the conversation eh? Have I gone "oh god here come the leftist klaxons with their boring greivance monger arguments rolled out time and time again!"

I could do so, but I don't.

I did engage with the conversation. I mentioned his hypocrisy around his views on abortion and his investments. I mentioned his voting record. I'm not interested in someone's principles if they result in the demonisation and death of the poorest in our society. He may be principled, but his views are very dangerous and should be kept far away from cabinet.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 18 Feb 2018, 20:21

Can you elucidate a bit further on what views you consider to be dangerous?

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 20:42

Toby wrote:Can you elucidate a bit further on what views you consider to be dangerous?

First, some opinions from within his own party.

One former Tory minister: "He's theologically opposed to having policy driven by evidence and facts, insisting that anyone who disagrees must be lying or relying on false information."

Matthew Parris: "His manners are perfumed but his opinions are poison. Rees-Mogg is quite simply an unfailing, unbending, unrelenting reactionary."

Anna Soubry: "I couldn't stay in a party led by somebody like him."

Former cabinet minister: "You would only elect him leader of the conservative party if you didn't want to win an election ever again."

Chris Patten: "He had these sorts of views when he was eight or nine. To still have them when he's 48 seems to me to be pushing it a bit. I don't think they have very much relevance to Britain's problems in the 21st century." (And he's an old friend of the Moggs)
-----

Mogg's principles: (taken from the New Statesman)
"I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church rather than the Whip's office"

On climate change: "I would rather my constituents were warm and prosperous than cold and impoverished as we are overtaken by emerging markets who understandably put people before polar bears."
He opposes foreign aid, manision taxes, the bankers' bonus tax, increases in welfare for the disabled.
He supports zero hours contracts, the bedroom tax and fox hunting.

Brexit: he believes "no deal is better than a bad deal" but will not state what the consequences of no deal are. He wants minimal tax and minimal regulation and be dammed with the consequence. He already believes he is saved.
The Happy Mondays were disqualified from a special edition of the BBC’s Bargain Hunt after Bez broke the show’s rules by artificially inflating prices, handing victory to Pulp.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 Feb 2018, 20:49

In short, the man’s a 24 carat cock.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 18 Feb 2018, 20:52

Toby wrote:Can you elucidate a bit further on what views you consider to be dangerous?

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 20:54

K wrote:

First, some opinions from within his own party.

One former Tory minister: "He's theologically opposed to having policy driven by evidence and facts, insisting that anyone who disagrees must be lying or relying on false information."

Matthew Parris: "His manners are perfumed but his opinions are poison. Rees-Mogg is quite simply an unfailing, unbending, unrelenting reactionary."

Anna Soubry: "I couldn't stay in a party led by somebody like him."

Former cabinet minister: "You would only elect him leader of the conservative party if you didn't want to win an election ever again."

Chris Patten: "He had these sorts of views when he was eight or nine. To still have them when he's 48 seems to me to be pushing it a bit. I don't think they have very much relevance to Britain's problems in the 21st century." (And he's an old friend of the Moggs)
-----

Mogg's principles: (taken from the New Statesman)
"I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic church rather than the Whip's office"

On climate change: "I would rather my constituents were warm and prosperous than cold and impoverished as we are overtaken by emerging markets who understandably put people before polar bears."
He opposes foreign aid, manision taxes, the bankers' bonus tax, increases in welfare for the disabled.
He supports zero hours contracts, the bedroom tax and fox hunting.

Brexit: he believes "no deal is better than a bad deal" but will not state what the consequences of no deal are. He wants minimal tax and minimal regulation and be dammed with the consequence. He already believes he is saved.

What a fucking prick. It's laughable that Toby attempts to characterise Corbyn, a man who has dedicated his life to making a genuine difference at the grass roots level, as a man who's made a career out of saying no and yet Rees Mogg effectively says no to the 1830s onwards.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that, were he there at the time, he'd oppose the abolition of slavery or universal suffrage.

What a guy!
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2018, 21:05

yomptepi wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Samoan wrote:Corbyn is a seething misanthrope.

Oh dear.

You see. This is why it is so hard to have any sort of debate about Corbyn. Any criticism of him is seen as sacrilege, and noses are looked down and you can hear the tutting of the metropolitan elite from all the way out here in Bucks.

I'm quite happy to engage with informed criticism on him but some vague sweeping statement about his supposed misanthropy doesn't exactly have a lot of substance to it. What exactly are we meant to debate about here? You may as well say I don't like him because "he pours boiling water over the heads of beggars and eats babies".

Still it's nice to see I'm regarded as being part of "the metropolitan elite". I hope they won't mind me joining them too much! :)

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 21:07

Rees Mogg's not the only one crafting policy not on evidence or at least informed discussion but on dogmatic religious belief:
[Secretary of education Damien] Hinds also told The Sunday Times that he would abolish a ban on new faith schools taking in more than 50 per cent of pupils on the basis of their religion – a policy which has prevented the Catholic Church opening any free schools.

On sex education, Hinds said he would maintain the rule that parents can withdraw their children from such classes; his predecessor, Justine Greening, wanted to introduce compulsory sex and relationships education.

When asked on The Andrew Marr Show about this, Hinds said: “What we’re doing is bringing in relationships education in primary school and relationship and sex education in secondary schools…It will be compulsory to have them in all schools, but as I say there’s an established right which will continue for parents to be able to withdraw their children from the sex education bits of relationships and sex education.”

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 21:10

PENK wrote:

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes

Over to Toby.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Feb 2018, 21:14

German Dave wrote:
PENK wrote:

Over to Toby.

About the only thing he is in favour of is lowering corporation tax and tax avoidance. :lol:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Feb 2018, 21:18

There's no chance of him becoming leader though, is there? I mean that would be suicidal for the Tories.

I don't even need to know how he votes to know he's a cunt. Anybody who quotes latin in interviews when he knows nobody has a clue what he's on about is a total arse. Don't let that Walter the Softy exterior fool you. You better believe he bummed boys in the locker rooms.

I know a cunt when I see one.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Pansy Puff

Postby Pansy Puff » 18 Feb 2018, 21:24

Goat Boy wrote:There's no chance of him becoming leader though, is there? I mean that would be suicidal for the Tories.

I don't even need to know how he votes to know he's a cunt. Anybody who quotes latin in interviews when he knows nobody has a clue what he's on about is a total arse. Don't let that Walter the Softy exterior fool you. You better believe he bummed boys in the locker rooms.

I know a cunt when I see one.

If he gets to the last two he'll win as the members will vote for him.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 21:26

Goat Boy wrote:There's no chance of him becoming leader though, is there? I mean that would be suicidal for the Tories.

Don't be so naive, young one. After all, who'd have guessed the Donald?
Goatboy to Belle:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 Feb 2018, 21:33

German Dave wrote:

Don't be so naive, young one. After all, who'd have guessed the Donald?

Indeed, all bets are off these days.
He’s less toxic in the party than Boris.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Feb 2018, 21:41

I'm not buying it. The electorate wouldn't go for him.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 18 Feb 2018, 21:50

Goat Boy wrote:I'm not buying it. The electorate wouldn't go for him.

That's how Trump got in. That's how brexit happened.
Goatboy to Belle:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Feb 2018, 21:56

There's reasons why Trump appealed though. I don't think it's the same thing. There's no way somebody like Mogg is gonna appeal to working class voters in the same way that Trump could in America. If the Tories wanna make him leader then go hog wild